Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:18 PM

What's as good as orijen?

feeding samson orijen puppy and i love to know that he is being fed i think the best i can afford, so at the mo he is having probs with upset tum, but before that he has smelly wind, my other half says we need to change his food, but what to?? don't want to feed grains or rice really (and honestly dont want to change) but if there is something as good as orijen i'm willing to look into it at least have also mixed occasionally with acana to give different flavour within his food with no problem, what do you use???
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:21 PM
You could try:

Applaws
Fish 4 Dogs
JWB grain free varieties
other brands which have potato instead of grains.

However, be aware that most of these contain more than 25% carbohydrates unlike Orijen.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:25 PM
whats with carbs? is that a good or bad thing? sorry to sound dumb x
rossi roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:46 PM
we changed from orijen to acana this suited rossi better the orijen seemed to make him a little loose try it on its own without the orijen see how you get on petrina
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:49 PM
A high level of carbs can contribute to weight gain, and some people ( me included) feel dogs don't need such a high level as it wouldn't be a big part of a wild canids diet.

Have you looked at Taste of the Wild ? very similar to Orijen, unfortunately, it's similarly priced too. Or Zwi Peak, which is dehydrated I think, and possibly even more expensive

I would say though that as good as Orijen is, if it's making your pup into a trumpet trousers, it's not the food for him.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Taste of the Wild looks good, but is pricey as they come.

Orijen is on paper fantastic food, but if it doesn't suit your dog, it doesn't suit your dog. There's no point spending a fortune on it if that's the case!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Simpsons Premium sensitive/gain free go up to 45% meat which is not bad compared to james well beloved and it's less expensive!!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 07:00 AM
thank everyone i'll take a look at all your suggestions
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi Zoe, are you sure that the loose stools/wind isn't due to your pup being overfed? When I got my pups it was a real trial/see method because they had been fed from one big bowl with their litter-mates. I initially went by what it said on the packet and had to drastically reduce the amount as they were suffering from wind/loose stools and were going to the loo 4-5 times a day.

One of mine has a very sensitive stomach and through trial and error with loads of different foods such as Burns, Acana, james wellbeloved etc etc it is Orijen that is working fantastically well. But what they say on the packet is too much for most dogs. My dog in question weighs 12.5kg and he is on half a cup in the morning and half a cup in the evening and with that amount he is doing brilliantly.

If you change food I'm sure you know to do it very graduallly. Start mixing it with the old and gradually feed more of the new. I've found that I if do it over a 2 1/2 to 3 week period his tummy stays calm.

Burns is also a brilliant food but I felt there wasn't enough protein in the fish/brown rice variety. In all honesty you get what you pay for as far as quality is concerned.
Good luck.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:09 AM
hi jenny, it may well be that, as we just free feed him, as that's what we got used to with our last dog, i just pour a bit in the bowl and refill when it's low, probably about a mug full he is eating daily, he weighs 10 kg now, he eats when he is hungry but leaves some food there for later on so he is effectively having 2 meals a day but at his own leisure, we had never done this before we had our last dog but she got on great with eating what she wanted and not guzzling every last kibble and just returning for a nibble every now and then, maybe i should measure the amount i put in his bowl for each day according to his weight and see if that helps, he is otherwise doing very well on orijen, he has bright eyes shiny fur and bundles of energy, thanks for the advice as i really like orijen so i would like to continue on it
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >