Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I don't think Advocate smells, I use it on my two (so large breed doses) and I've never noticed a smell, on use or the day after.
I too don't really use it for the flea/worming side of things, I use it mainly as cover for lungworm. I was of the "treat them when you see them" train of thought but unfortunately you can't see signs of lungworm until considerable damage has been done to the lungs and I just won't risk it. I'd class my area and dogs as "high risk" though - multiple cases of it (including my mum's puppy, 15 minutes down the road), dogs who love to drink from puddles/eat grass, who are probably likely to eat a slug/snail out of curiousity, etc. so I don't want to risk it. I would recommend speaking to your vet and see how many cases of lungworm have been in the area and decide whether it's worth treating for it regularly or just, say, once or twice a year (and perhaps using a 7 day course of Panacur instead of Advocate if it worries you)t
exactly...my kia has residual lung damage from lungworm

.... lungworm kills..i will always use a product that eliminates this problem...its really not scaremongering, it is rife
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I don't think Advocate smells, I use it on my two (so large breed doses) and I've never noticed a smell, on use or the day after.
I too don't really use it for the flea/worming side of things, I use it mainly as cover for lungworm. I was of the "treat them when you see them" train of thought but unfortunately you can't see signs of lungworm until considerable damage has been done to the lungs and I just won't risk it. I'd class my area and dogs as "high risk" though - multiple cases of it (including my mum's puppy, 15 minutes down the road), dogs who love to drink from puddles/eat grass, who are probably likely to eat a slug/snail out of curiousity, etc. so I don't want to risk it. I would recommend speaking to your vet and see how many cases of lungworm have been in the area and decide whether it's worth treating for it regularly or just, say, once or twice a year (and perhaps using a 7 day course of Panacur instead of Advocate if it worries you)t
that is the ONLY reason I ever use these pipettes, it's the only way to protect them from lungworm or heartworm, and I have actually heard of a couple of cases of lungworm in my neck of the woods lately, so it's a real worry for me.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
that is the ONLY reason I ever use these pipettes, it's the only way to protect them from lungworm or heartworm, and I have actually heard of a couple of cases of lungworm in my neck of the woods lately, so it's a real worry for me.
You can treat with Panacur wormer but it needs to be a 7 day course, not the normal one-off or 3 day courses for other issues. Worryingly, some vets aren't aware of this, I've heard several people who've mentioned using Panacur in a one-off dose for lungworm as per vet instructions - but the Panacur guidelines on the manufacturer's website does specify the need for a 7 day course so surely the vets must have this literature too? Also I have heard of people being told that Milbemax will treat it too, but as far as I'm aware/have read, it will only reduce infections, not eliminate them completely. I'm pretty sure Panacur (7 day course) and Advocate (2 doses, a month apart - first dose will kill the majority but second dose is essential for completing the treatment) are the only treatments (and there's no preventative as such, you just have to treat to remove any potential infection, hence my choice to use Advocate throughout the year)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if u are talking reactions... pet shop products either are a waste of money or lethal!!! (had numerous cats and pups on drips recovering...when they did ) whatever you choose please go for a vet one.

pup-in-a-bag had milbemax yesterday(chewy ones gone in a split second) but i will be using advocate next month.
Our pet shop is a small local one with a proper pharmacy section and are very knowledgeable.I was not talking Bob Martin.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4