Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
I'm confused why are people more worried about the dog than the person killed. Or more interested in the puppy than the 5 year old that was also in the house? Some dog owners are too quick to say poor dog and it wasn't the dogs fault etc forgetting the human tragedy involved.

I hope that if the puppy is deemed dangerous it is PTS. If not the liklihood as there are so many in shelters it would anyway as finding a home for a dog deemed to come from a dangerous home is unlikely.

Every dog attack effects us all as owners. It effects public perceptions of dogs and owners and reinforces silly laws such as the dog control orders in some parks.

The police are looking for the owner.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12072694
Thats a bit extreme! Im sure the puppy will be PTS regardless of its temperament, but to imply the puppy is "dangerous" is a bit silly really.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree with that, except with some dogs they can and do just attack for no apparent reason, giving no warning. Dogs of such "types" are very quick in their reactions and very difficult to stop when they go.
Do you mean a neurological condition?

If so I think that's rare, although do think bad diet full of chemical crap could be a possible 'trigger' - due to overloading the immune system which often equates to frustration and low patience threshold (but then that goes under irresponsible ownership imo).

I would think bad breeding (including of certain 'types' - is that what you meant?) and incorrect upbringing etc would be the most likely cause - and by the sound of it (going by what the neighbour said) that seems likely.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Do you mean a neurological condition?

If so I think that's rare, although do think bad diet full of chemical crap could be a possible 'trigger' - due to overloading the immune system which often equates to frustration and low patience threshold (but then that goes under irresponsible ownership imo).

I would think bad breeding (including of certain 'types' - is that what you meant?) and incorrect upbringing etc would be the most likely cause - and by the sound of it (going by what the neighbour said) that seems likely.
No Azz, I mean that certain breeds of dog have a short fuse and will strike quicker than others. They are less tolerant etc.. I agree about the bad breeding, its most likely the case here.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:39 PM
No Azz, I mean that certain breeds of dog have a short fuse and will strike quicker than others. They are less tolerant etc.. I agree about the bad breeding, its most likely the case here.
Yes i agree again, there are dogs of a type that are predisposed to attack unprovoked, usually through breeding and mixing of these types as Dawn said.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-12-2010, 04:10 PM
No Azz, I mean that certain breeds of dog have a short fuse and will strike quicker than others. They are less tolerant etc..
What - like Yorkshire Terriers?

Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Yes i agree again, there are dogs of a type that are predisposed to attack unprovoked, usually through breeding and mixing of these types as Dawn said.
Joking aside, then I think that boils back down to bad breeders. Even pit dogs, were bred so they would never ever attack a human (probably because healthcare wasn't so advanced then - and being bit or attacked was a major deal). If one did attack or accidentally bite a human - it was almost always put down - they just couldn't afford the risk.

Unfortunately today, many bad breeders have bred any ol dog to get certain traits and with little thought of the consequences. This is especially true in the 'recreation' of old breeds imo. And even though I own one myself, I would advise 99% of people to avoid getting one. You just have so many 'extra' considerations to think about.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Since the dog`s owner seems to have done a runner, I think we shouldn`t assume it`s breeding (or breed) that is the cause.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Well yes Azz, except a 5lb dog wont do the damage so wont get labelled the same.

Joking aside, then I think that boils back down to bad breeders. Even pit dogs, were bred so they would never ever attack a human (probably because healthcare wasn't so advanced then - and being bit or attacked was a major deal). If one did attack or accidentally bite a human - it was almost always put down - they just couldn't afford the risk.
Originally they were, but more recently, in the "status" era, they were bred to guard and defend too, I think this is where the line was crossed.

Unfortunately today, many bad breeders have bred any ol dog to get certain traits and with little thought of the consequences. This is especially true in the 'recreation' of old breeds imo. And even though I own one myself, I would advise 99% of people to avoid getting one. You just have so many 'extra' considerations to think about.
Precisely, but as you know any dog in the right hands can be a good pet and companion, and any animal in the wrong hands can be a nightmare.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 04:55 PM

I agree, thats what i meant when i said it can can be the consequence of mixing these types of breeds. Not suitable for everyone for sure
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Depends on how old the "puppy" is.

Iv'e seen a couple of dogs around 5 months of age that have imo aggressive tendencies.
Both those could be called badly bred.

edit: and a pup being brought up in the same environment as this dog wont have had the best start to life.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2010, 05:21 PM
PC Plod see big doggy. PC Plod execute doggy for being big.

Snorri
Page 5 of 24 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »