Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by airedaleowner View Post
he uses the 'equipment' the owner uses doesnt he??? if they use a prong collar he shows them how to use it properly withoug hurting the dog. i use a slip lead on my puppy and he is fine, doesnt hurt him at all.

yeahh he has been bitten but look at the different types of dogs they both deal with!!! VS doesnt seem to deal so much with aggression ect wereas CM does more of that, you cant really clicker train a dog thats trying to attack you. you need a starting point were the dog repects you.

some of his stuff i dont like but also some of VS stuff i dont like. you just need something that works best for both you and your dog
Ok...I deal with aggression - and I don't get bitten that much.....

I would also like to point out - that part of the job is educating owners - if he did not feel the prong collar was an acceptable method he would not advocate it.....and I find it hard to believe that a prong collar does not hurt the dog however it is used. If it did not - it would not work. What I think he does is teach owners how to use the collar without doing any visible damage to the dog.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 10:33 PM
ok am sorry

just what i thought!!!
i think it just depends on the person and the particular dog, i dont think this 'is he good or bad thing' is ever going to be resolved on here cause everyone has different opinions.

maybe he thinks it is ok if used properly and not just to pull the dog around, if you have a very large strong dog then maybe some owners feel safer and in more control with one on, that doesnt mean they will be yanking on it all the time hurting the dog.

just my opinion though
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 10:33 PM
So to all these people, and to be fair there aren't that many on this site, that think prong collars are 'ok'. Would you swop your toddlers reins for a rather snazzy set that had little spikes that pinched them (obviously without pain if used correctly)? If not why not? Surely a few days or weeks of discomfort have got to be worth ensuring your toddler is terrified, I mean 'trained' not to run away from you.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
no the human realizes that that its not the collar thats controlling the dog its there role to be the leader which is better and safer for the dog, the collar shouldnt be use agressivly but the dog wont like it when its pulled upon so it wont pull then when the dog has readjusted to walking at the side not pulling a normal collar can the be used, which im not saying this is the only way to achieve this.but it is better than the dog forever pulling on its lead for the rest of its life,chocking itsself. a few weeks of learning and not liking the experince, and then walking at heel and not pulling, then getting more walks because the walk is more enjoyable and safer for dog and owner, the weeks or days even are worth it
*Takes deep breath, and bites tongue hard*

What you will probably find is, that when the normal collar goes back on, the behaviour resumes, dog's or at least the ones I know, aren't stupid, they know what causes the pain, so when the cause is removed, the effect stops.

So in effect, you cause your dog pain, for no true result, you don't solve the issue, you mask it.

Which is the same with the rest of Mr. Milan's methods, its about masking, not solving, giving the appearance of a solution, but its all smoke and no fire.

His philosophy is based on outdated experiments the result of which have been proven to be inaccurate. Wild wolves don't behave the same as captive wolves, and neither behave in the same way as domestic dogs.

Compairing them is like compairing a moggy to a mountain lion. Both are cats, both will share some similarities in behaviour, doesn't make them identical though does it?

Refering back to an earlier post of yours. No I don't get cesar, there was a time when I was indifferent to him, then I saw his more extreme methods, and really looked at the dog's and their reactions, and now, I have to switch the channel the sec he comes on, as he disgusts me.

Are you a supporter of e collars?
Do you advicate choking dogs with slip leads?
Do you support the use of flooding techniques?

If no, then why do you support a man who does? if yes, then have you tried those methods on yourself? if not, then I suggest you do, I'll give you less than 30 seconds before your begging for mercy.

Do you believe that fido is plotting with his doggy friends to overthrow human authorities and take over the world?. In other words, do you believe that every behaviour displayed by a dog, is an attempt to dominate us human's?

Mr. Milan is in the, its so much easier to destroy catergory. He calls it cured, when what he's really done is take what in many cases is already damaged, and break it further, smashing what was cracked and fragile, the problem is, that putting the pieces back together, is not as easy as taking them apart.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:11 AM
I personally think CM is a bully and completely ignorant of a dogs body language. The "dominant" dogs he works with often seem to show worried or downright scared body language rather than the confidence a dominant dog would show. The dogs are frightened of him, show avoidance behaviours and his idea of "calm submission" is an absolute joke, that isn't calmness or submission, it's a shut down dog or a dog too exhausted to fight any more.

And don't even get me started on how he treated the poor dog who was absolutely terrified of the vets. He forced her into accepting whatever was done, got bitten by her (she had never bitten, just kicked up a huge fuss), muzzled her and carried on forcing her into a situation that scared her horribly. The poor dog ended up completely shut down and I imagine ended up even more terrified of the vet than she was when he started "fixing" the issue. I was in tears for that poor dog.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:14 AM
I see both good and bad in the whole Cesar Milan discussion.
I think in some ways, he has encouraged people to be much more active and involved with their dogs, even if it's just encouraging them to get off the couch and take them out for a nice walk and run everyday. In many places, too many I find, having a dog means having one tied up out in the backyard, never to go anywhere, never to do anything but lay there and have owners yell at it whenever it barks or heaven forbid, digs out of pure boredom. HOPEFULLY, atleast some of the people who thought of dogs as nothing more than another household item, have changed their mindset and realized dogs need ALOT more in their lives.

That being said....I do not agree with alot of his methods. I do not agree that every dog who dares step ahead of you is out to control you, or that a dog that sits on the couch or sleeps in my bed is going to turn out to be a maneating dominant monster. I think this alpha and pack leader thing has gone way too far. I see it in forums everyday and frankly it's long since gotten old. I also don't agree with many of the times I've seen him say "oh this is good, this dog is now relaxed" or something close to that, when you can see that the dog is FAR from relaxed, it is scared, anxious,etc.
I can see where an everyday person without any experience in dog behavior, body language,etc...can take his methods as gospel and have it go terribly wrong. We already know it's happened, one too many times.
The guy who watches Cesar do an alpha roll and decides that he'll try it on his Rottie at home...who ends up torn to shreds. The mother who makes an insecure dog turn violent because it's been pushed beyond it's limits. So yes....his show has the potential to do ALOT of damage if the wrong people try to mimic him.
I believe in positive reinforcement training, but I also agree that there are cases that a cookie and a clicker are just not going to cut it. Some of these cases, where a dog is literally at death's door if something isn't fixed SOON, do not have the time it requires to train in tiny steps over a long period of time. In those cases, these dogs may require firmer handling, but by NO means do I agree that a dog should be physically or emotionally abused and pushed to the point of breaking their spirit and bodies.
I think with any trainer, famous or not, you take what you agree with, and leave the rest. There is no law that statesd that you have to agree to or adhere to every single thing a trainer says and does. I like some of Victoria's ideas too, but most of the time I see her as just a pretty woman in high heels who doesn't do anything other than stand there looking...well, useless. She's certainly not a hands on, let's get in there and work with these dogs MYSELF person that's for sure. Atleast not in the episodes I've seen. Frankly, I've seen episodes where she cringes away from a dog coming to the door to greet her,as if she was almost afraid of them...somehow that doesn't give me great confidence in a trainer lol but that's just me.
All in all I think you have to know YOUR dog, what motivates him or her, when and how to work with them and work from there. Not every dog is going to respond to the same methods, and not every trainer is going to be all right or all wrong.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:10 AM
he uses the 'equipment' the owner uses doesnt he??? if they use a prong collar he shows them how to use it properly withoug hurting the dog. i use a slip lead on my puppy and he is fine, doesnt hurt him at all.

On a pup i def wouldnt reccomend a slip lead when hes still growing, Ceasars using the stuff the owners use, is a joke,hes happy to use the prong if they had it because itseasy for him, if not hewill put his illusion collar on. EVEN WORSE imo

yeahh he has been bitten but look at the different types of dogs they both deal with!!! VS doesnt seem to deal so much with aggression ect wereas CM does more of that, you cant really clicker train a dog thats trying to attack you. you need a starting point were the dog repects you.

I do tons of aggression & on the whole use a clicker for it, esp to start with

some of his stuff i dont like but also some of VS stuff i dont like. you just need something that works best for both you and your dog
Yep agree with that, the best for your dog,........ however i cant see CM been good for anybodies dog
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 08:16 AM
my puppy has been fine in the slip lead and i plan to keep using it as its easier on walks when im letting him off, i find. he really doesnt mind.

but he doesnt always use the prong collar, what about the ones that are in actual collars that he can get to walk nicely??? i think some people way over react to him but if thats how they feel then fine its no one elses business.

that illusion collar isnt worse!!! it just keep the lead at the top of the neck, i dont see a problem but i know a lot of others do.

some of the things i definatly agree with is that dogs are pack animals and need a 'leader' and strict rules and boundaries, imo i think it helps them to be more relaxed and not like they have a job sort of thing.

i dont know, maybe im talking crap but its just from what i know and have read and seen ect... i havnt trained aggressive dogs, just my soppy airedale puppy which has actually gone quite well so far lol!!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 08:33 AM
my puppy has been fine in the slip lead and i plan to keep using it as its easier on walks when im letting him off, i find. he really doesnt mind.

but he doesnt always use the prong collar, what about the ones that are in actual collars that he can get to walk nicely??? i think some people way over react to him but if thats how they feel then fine its no one elses business.

that illusion collar isnt worse!!! it just keep the lead at the top of the neck, i dont see a problem but i know a lot of others do.

some of the things i definatly agree with is that dogs are pack animals and need a 'leader' and strict rules and boundaries, imo i think it helps them to be more relaxed and not like they have a job sort of thing.

i dont know, maybe im talking crap but its just from what i know and have read and seen ect... i havnt trained aggressive dogs, just my soppy airedale puppy which has actually gone quite well so far lol!!!
The main problem is the placement of the collar.
with your own hands you can feel the difference if something is placed lower down your neck or really high under your jaw and behind your ears.
Then imagine that tightening....
Not something I want to do to my dogs.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 09:21 AM
yeah but it doesnt hurt!!! i dont see the problem if it isnt causing the dog pain. Arthurs slip lead goes just above his collar, so not quite as high as him but close, if it was hurting him i think i would know. plus they release wen the dog doesnt pull so more comfortable.
Page 6 of 24 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »