Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi elineb.. Thank you yes you are very kind. x
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 01:13 AM
So very sorry to all concerned. This was an accident, having had lurchers and cats I know how they can be. Please dont feel bad towards Danny. Give your neighbours time to come to terms with what happened.
My heart goes out to you all. xx
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm back from work now and my hubby's told me how wonderful you've all been. Thankyou so much everyone for your kind words and support and good advice. I don't fel bad towards Danny at all, I just feel so guilty
He's in a bit of a state and is very tender on his leg so I'm gonna take him to the vets tomorrow to get checked over.
The police were lovely. She said she could see just how lovely Danny is. I'm just glad he's not going anywhere.
Thanks again folks.....you're amazing xxxxx
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I'm back from work now and my hubby's told me how wonderful you've all been. Thankyou so much everyone for your kind words and support and good advice. I don't fel bad towards Danny at all, I just feel so guilty
He's in a bit of a state and is very tender on his leg so I'm gonna take him to the vets tomorrow to get checked over.
The police were lovely. She said she could see just how lovely Danny is. I'm just glad he's not going anywhere.
Thanks again folks.....you're amazing xxxxx
So glad to hear you feeling a tad more relaxed.

Dogs will be dogs and 'Lurchers' - well - we know what they like to do.

I can recall that horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my tummy when my pet Fingal killed a sheep in full view of many folk.

My previous Springer (Beau) was 'involved' with both feral cats and foxes which sounds horrible but he was a working gundog who now and again joined the terriers in and around the release pens.

Fingers crossed you will feel better about things tomorrow and and nothing will come of it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
He's really gentle with humans and other dogs and kids but not with cats.
He sounds just like our Bara, around our way the local peasant farmers let their chickens run all over the place (Including the main roads) and we've had to pay for a few chickens she's had for lunch

As mentioned above IMO there's no danger of PTS that only applies where humans are concerned.

When things calm down a bit why not offer to help find the cat owners another cat and pay for it if needs be
GUISEPPE
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-01-2010, 01:10 PM
You poor people all of you, in these situations the best thing is to contact the insurance , the family may well have a claim against you for a number of issues, the Police may well also have an issue for no control over your lurcher but not for the killing of the cat as a cat isnt a licensed animal.
Sad for all concerned. try to offer some form of compensation like the paying of cremation of the neighbours cat these things go along way to restore some harmony within the community after such incidents.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 01:27 PM
it's a horrible situation and my heart goes out to you and your neighbour. Pharaoh my lurcher caught a cat once while on a walk at a local field. I was able to get him to drop it and the cat ran away. No idea where it had come from or where it went but I felt just terrible. But then he caught rabbits all the time and how was he to know the difference?

There is a lot of good advice on this thread. Don't feel bad for your boy, he was just doing what came naturally and couldn't know that the cat was a pet not prey. Hope you find a way to all come through with not too much hard feeling.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 01:32 PM
How I feel for you all
The only reason Mo doesn't catch squirrels is because she hasn't learned to climb trees yet but a neighbours cat frequents our garden and I live in fear of Mo catching it, she has come very close a few times.
Heart stopping moments but the daned cat will not learn
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2010, 07:52 PM
This is a true story, one day we went to visit friends, they have a cat who usually 'hides' in some high up place when we arrive. This day Bara yanked the lead out of my hand and took off after a cat, the next thing I know it was dead. I was mortified but when our friends came up to us it turned out it was not 'their' cat, it was one of many semi wild ones that they had foolishly been feeding and which they now had a problem with (Since they were multiplying at an alarming rate) so our friends actually thanked me (They couldn't afford PTS and there are no cat sanctuaries around here!) I breathed a sigh of relief and borrowed a spade and buried it in the forest.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Well here's an update. We're now being prosecuted by the family of the cat my dog killed! I was going to write to them but was advised not to by the police. I gave them my address and phone number so they could contact us when they were ready but they didn't so we were advised to leave it. Now they're saying we've not been in touch with them so they're prosecuting us for having a vicious out of control dog.
My hubby and I are going through a really hard time at the moment and this is just the icing on the cake. I'm so upset I wanna cry
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »