Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Help - my dog has killed a cat

I've just been called home from work by my husband who was really upset.
My 18 year old step-son (Matthew) who has special needs let my dog (Danny)out of the house and the front gate. He's a lurcher and we know that he doesn't get on with cats hence why we are really careful not to let him out off the lead.
Anyway, Matt let him out and didn't tell my husband until 10mins later whereupon my hubby ran up the road to find him. When he saw this woman crying he realised that Danny had gone into their front garden, taken the cat and run off down the path. She then witnessed him killing the cat.
Obviously they were really upset by this but my husband had to go home because he had severe chest pain and 2 kids with special needs at home.
I then came home and went up to see the family to explain what had happened and why my hubby had to come home.
They were crying and her husband said he would call the police and I should do to Danny what he did to the cat.
I apologised unreservedly and gave my address and phone number and said I would contact the police myself to explain what had happened.
They were very gracious considering what they had just seen.
Her husband said that he saw Danny at 12pm roaming around but that was impossible as I was home till 12.45pm and he was at home all morning.
The police said it wasn't really up to them to sort it but he would pass it onto the local bobby and he would contact us.
I'm so upset for this family. Distraught in fact. And I'm distraught because it was my dog and I fear for him.
Can my dog get put down for this? He's really gentle with humans and other dogs and kids but not with cats.
I'm contacting my insurance company just to let them know.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 04:37 PM
You can see how soft he is on the photo thread entitled "My Lurcher Danny". This is the dog I fear for after killing a cat.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 04:42 PM
A few years ago a friend had her two cocker spaniels killed & eaten in front of her by a pack of Greyhounds.

The police told her that as it was dog on dog it was nothing to do with them & that it is only dog on human or "livestock"(ie farm animals)that would be subject to the law.

I very much doubt that it has changed, unless the cat owners claim that they were in fear of their own lives.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 04:42 PM
As far as I'm aware, agression against another animal, isn't a PTS case in the eyes of the law. I THINK (I'm willing to be corrected) it is only agression towards people that make it a PTS situation.

I feel for both your family and the family that lost their cat *hugs*
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 04:43 PM
What a tragic accident, I don't know what to say, its not Danny's fault (being a dog with I assume would have a high prey drive) and its not your sons fault, and I can see why the owners of the cat are distraught and thats why they are saying about Danny, maybe in a few days time when they had more time to think about it maybe you will be able to discuss things better, and they will understand more about how the accident happened, as I'm sure all they can think of right now is the loss of their cat.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-01-2010, 04:44 PM
So sorry to hear about this.

In terms of what could happen......

I recall something similar but there was no case against the dog as the cat was free to roam.

As it was in the cat's garden - I'm not sure what the situation is.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I am so sorry about this.
Of course the cats owners will be v upset at the moement. Go back again in a day or so and talk to them
I dont think your dog should be PTS for this but I think you need some extra plans in place to make sure this never happens again
Its noones fault
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 05:01 PM
How sad Rest assured that your dog will not be put down for this, that would only happen if it had been a human he had attacked.

I understand how upset your are, am sure when the family have calmed down and thought about it they will, I hope, understand your postion, I have a son with special needs, athough, so I also understand how difficult it can be.

Hope it all gets sorted out for you hugs to you ((())))

x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 05:08 PM
as the owner of cats and also having owned a lurcher, i am so sorry for all parties involved. it's a terrible situation and i'm not clear on what the law would be, although i think it really is just a terribly sad accident.

i don't think for one minute that danny should be pts over this but i agree that you should ensure he never gets out alone again. i guess you are already painfully aware of that though.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
as the owner of cats and also having owned a lurcher, i am so sorry for all parties involved. it's a terrible situation and i'm not clear on what the law would be, although i think it really is just a terribly sad accident.

i don't think for one minute that danny should be pts over this but i agree that you should ensure he never gets out alone again. i guess you are already painfully aware of that though.
Likewise, so sorry for everyone involved, Terribly sad.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »