View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=Shona;1901420]yes dogs have a trigger word, they often have a lead up as well, which can be a few words put together, but its the trigger that counts,
while you could take the trigger out of the dog, the dog would never be 100% reliable to be honest,
I now make up words for my trigger, so not real words, but that is not 100% fool proof either as some words may sound like my made up words if you see what I mean,[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, I understand what you mean.

So in other words , you can never be sure you have taken the "work" out of the dog.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Thanks for that, I understand what you mean.

So in other words , you can never be sure you have taken the "work" out of the dog.
correct, its just not a risk worth taking IMO,
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Ok, i thiink we need to agree to disagree on a lot of points - don't have much time to highlight and copy but i'm sorry - unless you have worked/trained/been involved with a working dog - then you cannot possibly comment on whether you could rehome it - i have read some absolute bosch on here!!!!!!!!

Shonas points are valid to a point as she has a dog trained to protect but takes the step to ensure cetain precautions are taken and also the fact her boy has a fantastic attitude - as mentioned by joedee - completely true - however the rest is a complete waste of time!!!!

By the way - Ministry protection had a phone call from someone who used to work there and a lot of there dogs were actually gifted to the handlers who had worked them as well as the dog vans as a sort of thanks for working for them and also sorry they had to become unemployed - there is a big conversation on it on the protection k9 forum - a few people on here i know are members.

Sorry if you don't like my post but some people need to realise that a dog trained to bite is NOT necessarily an ATTACK DOG or GUARD dog - they are protection dogs and as such do live as family pets!!!!

Keyboard warriors looking for recognition need to get out more!!!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It remains a very sad situation, and if there had only been one or two dogs to find experienced homes for it may have proved possible. However, the facts are that there are hundreds of German Shepherds currently in rescue, who have no history of biting or aggression, who can't find homes.
I definitely agree - there are far too many in rescue
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
Ok, i thiink we need to agree to disagree on a lot of points - don't have much time to highlight and copy but i'm sorry - unless you have worked/trained/been involved with a working dog - then you cannot possibly comment on whether you could rehome it - i have read some absolute bosch on here!!!!!!!!

Shonas points are valid to a point as she has a dog trained to protect but takes the step to ensure cetain precautions are taken and also the fact her boy has a fantastic attitude - as mentioned by joedee - completely true - however the rest is a complete waste of time!!!!

By the way - Ministry protection had a phone call from someone who used to work there and a lot of there dogs were actually gifted to the handlers who had worked them as well as the dog vans as a sort of thanks for working for them and also sorry they had to become unemployed - there is a big conversation on it on the protection k9 forum - a few people on here i know are members.

Sorry if you don't like my post but some people need to realise that a dog trained to bite is NOT necessarily an ATTACK DOG or GUARD dog - they are protection dogs and as such do live as family pets!!!!

Keyboard warriors looking for recognition need to get out more!!!
Linda can I ask, would you want a trained dog? or do you prefer to train your own?

yes what you say about level of training plays a point,

at what level do you feel the dog would fit into a family well, what level is to much?

Pml at the keyboard warriors thing chill, its a forum its what happens people put there point over,

it goes both ways though dont start to sound like one of those enthusiasts that rant...
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Linda can I ask, would you want a trained dog? or do you prefer to train your own?

yes what you say about level of training plays a point,

at what level do you feel the dog would fit into a family well, what level is to much?

Pml at the keyboard warriors thing chill, its a forum its what happens people put there point over,

it goes both ways though dont start to sound like one of those enthusiasts that rant...
Hi Shona

LOL - no more ranting Personally i would prefer to have my own dog and train it - that way i could look into the bloodlines (or get help to do this) and also what the backgrounds of sire and dam etc and how they are in respect of temperament, and a lot more besides. If i had to buy a trained dog - there would have to be a good reason why - these dogs are not generally bought just to live in a home - a lot of homework would go into it and i'd be asking to see the dog work, see the level of training, see it interact with others, make sure the person is reputable, check references etc.

The level a dog would fit into is a very hard question to answer as it depends wholely on the individual dog - what could work for your lad for instance may not be suitable for mine. Each case has to be taken on individual merit. However i do believe it's not joe public can just decide this, they do need a bit of guidance from someone who knows the dog and will give honest input.

Too much in my eyes is the dog that shouldn't even be on the street doing security - the one who snarls and growls if you even look at it, the one that has a bad case of fear aggression which the idiot working it has misread to be aggressiveness, the one you see tethered to a chain because the handler doesn't know how to handle it, the dog who is only growling because he's being given a kicking and is starving. There are so many honest reasons why.

Unfortunately there are too many idiots who want dogs who bite - they don't understand the legislation behind it and also how to maintain control and training.

Ok, long winded rant over - sorry folks, i just got a bit OTT
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4