Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cheyenne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:38 PM

hipscores?

I was wondering, wot is the better score - 8:8 = 16 or 3:7 = 10?

I am looking at getting a GSD and these are the mum and dads score's, the breeder is saying that the mum had a knock on her left side as a pup, and that is the reason for the difference?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
hmmm- I would want to see veterinary evidence that she recieved the knock as a knock big enough to damage the hip would surely be on vet records.

IMO I would like no more than 3 marks in difference between the scores. Also I would want to see hipscores of grandparents and siblings of each in question to determine a more 'true' score if in fact it is true that she recieved a knock.

19 is the breed average so with the one with a score of 16 I would check all relatives have lower scores.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
the breeder is saying that the mum had a knock on her left side as a pup,
Hmm...not sure how a 'knock' unless they genuinely broke or fractured the hip would effect the scores.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I do know of a dog that had a score of 4:4 and was hit by a car and suffered damage to the hip(but did not break it) she was then estimated to have a score of 12 on that particular hip.
Thats why I think that there has to be evidence of the accident occurring otherwise anyone with a bad score can say there dog was hit by a car!
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I have to say for me I would not be worried by that score, especially as both sides are so low. At such a low score this would not cause the dog any problems. A dog that I bred had the same score and also the owner said that she'd injured the higher scoring leg as a pup. Mother's and grandfathers scores were equal on both sides. Said dog has since had a litter and the daughter that has been scored has equal scoring hips with a low total.