Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I should imagine this "dangerous waste" part has come about because of the "bute" we give the horses for pain??? Remember they brought in the new laws they brought in where you had to sign a bit of paper with the vet if he'd EVER prescribed Bute, so that your horse's remains could never end up in the food chain? Either that or maybe the wormers used, it all ends up in the waste afterall doesn't it. Also a lot of rat bait is used at stableyards and could end up on the muck heap too? That's probably the reason, and therefore, horse poo is now considered just as nasty as dog poo
I think your right H! I know (from a gardening forum) that certain wormers used for horses stay in the manure/dung for a long time and can affect what you're growing. I suspect that it depends on what you medicate your horse with in a lot of cases.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Isn't this all a question of fact and degree?

I agree, out in the countryside I wouldn't think twice about it and I don't think the odd pile in residential areas should cause problems either.

But if the same stretch of road in a resi area is 'getting dunged' several times a day and this is an area where kids play etc, I can see if I lived there, it would p*ss me off too - so its not harmful, but if there is so much of it that its impossible to avoid, that can't be very pleasant can it?

So whilst I don't think the average rider should have to clear up after their horse, where a particular area is being heavily affected, particularly by a riding school business, I think it is only good manners that they try to minimise the impact they are have on their neighbours by at least trying to clear some of it away.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Hali...that's what I was trying to say but you said it lots better.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah I can understand that Hali. It is a valid point you have made there. We don't have any riding schools here, but there are lots and lots of horses so we do get piles of it in the road, doesn't seem to bother people in this part of the village though. I do agree it is horrible to find it on the pavement, but as I said before I can quite understand why!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 01:47 PM
i dont think riders should have to clean it up tbh but it would eb politness not to ride their horses on pavements tbh

i never did... and tbh i cant say my horse had ever crapped on the road tbh - always on grass accross fields....
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Roads, bridlesways, etc. no, it's not really doing anyone any harm. Pavements, I'm sorry but it should be moved or picked up at some point, as people have to walk down it & won't want to walk through it. I understand that sometimes you may want to ride on the pavement to avoid cars on a busy road, but if your horse poos then you have to think that it might be forcing people to step into the road to avoid it.

So to summarise Pavements, yes, pick it up, but otherwise no, it's natural and doesn't hurt anyone. I'd imagine fumes given off by cars are a lot more harmful than a bit of horse poo on the road
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
So to summarise Pavements, yes, pick it up, but otherwise no, it's natural and doesn't hurt anyone. I'd imagine fumes given off by cars are a lot more harmful than a bit of horse poo on the road
Hoorah! Sense prevails

(I'm pestering for a horse at the mo and was starting to have nightmares, pardon the pun, about huge nappies!)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I'm not a 100% sure, but I do know that the stables my eldest daughter used to go to got alot of warning letters from the council about the state of there local bridleway.
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Councils are very good at warning letters, without them actually checking, all someone has to do is complain, I mean we've all seen threads about people getting letter from councils about their dogs barking, when they haven't.
Whether they could actually do anything about it is a totally different matter.
It's a bridleway, the clues in the name, they'd have to proove all the poop came from the stables themselves as I'm sure other horses would use the way.
Exactly , how do the council know said "muck" is coming from said horse???? of said yard??

I haven't laughed so much in years after reading this thread, what with Becky and her jet wash, the nappy bags, poor Chris on his bike and by the time I got to the two horses with the cart attached to carry the poo, well I just fell off my chair!!!!!

I would never have dreamed in a million years that it would have become necessary to clean up after your horse whilst out on a ride! My horse would poo for England when out for 4 or 5 hours at a time, there just wouldn't be a bag big enough to cart that lot back to the stables and dump it on the muckheap, and there's no way I would have done it either! I live in a village where we have 2 racing yards, a string of 60 in each, can you imagine the amount of horse poo I come across on a daily basis, and like Becky said, it gets flattened in no time, hopefully before Georgie eats some too! As for clearing up on a bridleway, for a start, how would you know who is responsible? Loads of horse riders from miles around would use the same bridleway.Maybe we should get off and stick a flag in it which the council has kindly provided us with to identify which is our horse's poo, so when we get back we have to do the 10 mile trip again on foot with the wheelbarrow poo picking all the ones with our flag in them?? Oh c'mon this is ridiculous, isn't it? Isn't it??!!! :
And I wonder how many wheelbarrow pushers will also get flattened , stopping on a busy road on blind bends... with their shovel trying to pick the muck up before another motorist comes flying down the road!!

Love your idea of flagging it , to be recognised later

Horses are vegetarians, their poo doesn't cause any nasty bacteria, I would eat it myself! I used to pick it up with bare hands out of the stable, but I'd never do that with dog poo!!!

Keep this thread going please, I'm in stitches here!!!!
same here, much easier to muck a stable out with your hands... specailly when you have a dirty so and so, who likes to bury their muck,

If it's on the pavement that's different as they shouldn't be on the pavement in the first place.But roads and country lanes etc yes.
Exactly, no excuse for them to be on pavements.

[B]Can I join the 'eaten my lunch with horsey hands' club please as many a time we went to the chippy with filthy hands.
I even remember filling a can of coke with brown water from the muck heap and the person who drank it lived to tell the tale. Mind you she never pinched our coke from the tack room again!

Its a b**ger to get from under your finger nails

Also reminds me , my daughter and her stable friends(when they where kids) used to go to the butchers at lunch for a filled baguette ( the butcher used to make them especially for them)

not a washed pair of hands between them... they would sit and eat their lunches, in the stables on the straw/shavings, with their horses, peeing/pooing, around them, the girls would be covered in in the stuff... on their hands, in their clothes...

They have all grown up in to healthy adults... never did any of them any harm.

Apart from the very indignant Australian teacher who came to teach at the yard for a while, now she had a problem with "muck" only I might add after my daughters little monkey of a pony, pulled her through the biggest patch of it, face down in the stuff....

She never forgave him....I wonder why!! ( the teacher that is, not my daughter)
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Exactly , how do the council know said "muck" is coming from said horse???? of said yard??
After talking to my daughter last night about the warning letters from the council.

What the council have done is set out a catchment area surrounding each stableyard, and as far as she knows all the yards had agreed to keep the bridleways and roads clear of horse muck within she believes about a 2 mile radius of a yard.

So from that it doesn't really matter which horse drops the muck, because it would work on a quid pro quo basis.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Well all I can say to that Colin is, I'm glad I don't have a horse now! It was bad enough having to clear our fields on a daily basis, but a 2-mile perimeter seems a lot to me I wonder if they've thought about when it's right in the middle of the road say, on a busy dualcarraigeway, like the one I had to cross twice to get out of the yard???? Nah, they don't think do they!!!
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >