View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Helena
Laughed myself silly at the thought of leaping of a horse, sticking a flag in the poo to mark it as 'mine' and then getting back on again (all in heavy traffic ) and then repeating the exercise a bit further on.
The whole country has gone daft.
The reason lots of horse riders use the pavements is that they have opted out of having vehicles driven at them at 40 miles an hour or more when they are trying to do a right turn, even the most brave horse will try and turn around and sit on the bonnet of the car behind them (which is probably impatiently beeping, thereby initiating a load of poo on the bonnet ), hence the poo on the pavement. I don't agree with it, but can see why it happens.
Like Helena says, horses eat organic stuff, I too have picked it up with my bare hands and then gone off to the corner shop or sat and eaten my butty, and hey I am still here
Horses have been here a lot longer than motor cars, and so has their poo and I think people who move to more rural areas where there are horses (and probably one of the reasons they moved in the first place) should take it is the price paid for living in a rural area. I miss my horse like crazy after nearly 5 years, thankfully there are loads around here for me to go and get my fix on by stroking them. Time was that when the local rag and bone man came round or the milk horse, people would be out there with their shovels picking it up for their compost heap.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Is there a town vs country debate coming through here? Ie people who live in the countryside accept to find animal waste on country roads, bridleways etc, and people who live in towns find the whole thing rather disgusting - simply because they aren't used to co-existing with animals such as cows, horses, sheep etc?

Just wondering ...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post

Helena
Laughed myself silly at the thought of leaping of a horse, sticking a flag in the poo to mark it as 'mine' and then getting back on again (all in heavy traffic ) and then repeating the exercise a bit further on.
The whole country has gone daft.
The reason lots of horse riders use the pavements is that they have opted out of having vehicles driven at them at 40 miles an hour or more when they are trying to do a right turn, even the most brave horse will try and turn around and sit on the bonnet of the car behind them (which is probably impatiently beeping, thereby initiating a load of poo on the bonnet ), hence the poo on the pavement. I don't agree with it, but can see why it happens.
Like Helena says, horses eat organic stuff, I too have picked it up with my bare hands and then gone off to the corner shop or sat and eaten my butty, and hey I am still here
Horses have been here a lot longer than motor cars, and so has their poo and I think people who move to more rural areas where there are horses (and probably one of the reasons they moved in the first place) should take it is the price paid for living in a rural area. I miss my horse like crazy after nearly 5 years, thankfully there are loads around here for me to go and get my fix on by stroking them. Time was that when the local rag and bone man came round or the milk horse, people would be out there with their shovels picking it up for their compost heap.
still not pleasant to have heaps of s**t on the pavements though.
I only eat organic stuff too.....

Moobli...no town and country thing for me, not in the slightest. It's about respecting other people when you have purposefully taken an animal out and about where a lot of people walk or live.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You have obviously never been to my house...anything but pristine and sterile.
The way I see it is that horses are domestic animals, they are ridden and taken out by humans for a purpose...so those humans should take responsibility for the s**t their animal produces. Sheep/cows etc tend to live out, as do foxes, birds and the like...totally different. Horses go out, with an owner and s**t everywhere and that owner should deal with it, if it is in an area where it could create a problem. Not immediately, as I said in my previous post, but at some point soon after.
At the end of the day it is a big pile of s**t. I'm a vegetarian H but you wouldn't catch me picking up my s**t or leaving it for someone else to clear up. That argument just doesn't wash.... 'a rose by any other name would smell as sweet' and all that. S**t...no matter from what animal is s**t and should be dealt with IF a human purposefully takes said animal out and about....
But my horse never lived here with me He lived OUT too?? He's an OUTDOOR animal, and yes, he goes out with me, but if it wasn't for me, he'd be roaming the wilds like he has done for centuries upon centuries, he was probably here before us?

I don't own one now as you know, but I'm just looking back to when I did, and how impossible it would be to carry out this request. I'm actually in stitches imagining myself jogging along with this great big waste sack hanging at the side of me banging me on the legs, or spooking my horse, oh it would be an impossibility quite honestly, you have enough to do with both hands controlling a horse on the roads with all the anti horse lunatic drivers everywhere around you, and you must agree, you HAVE to protect your horse from danger same as yourself? Out in the countryside on bridleways, I'm sure wild animals would eat the poo anyway, so that's not toomuch of a problem. The road we are talking about leading to the stables, yes, I do consider that to be a problem and should be dealt with by the owners of the yard, and the village roads if they're busy enough, the dung doesn't sit there for very long anyway because cars flatten it almost immediately.

As for pushing your buggies around, just go around it, it can't possibly be everywhere, just open your eyes and go around it. I manage to spot it every time coz I don't want Georgie eating it If you're on a bridleway, what are you doing on a bridleway with a buggy anyway??? Horses have right of way I hope you realise on a bridleway, and some ignorant horse rider could come flying past you at a flat out gallop if they so wished, they have every right to do that, they have right of way, not you. You should stick to footpaths where horses are NOT allowed and then you should be free of poo anyway?
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I live on the edge of a village bordering countryside..always have done..being part of the countryside is my biggest love..i totally see it from the side of horseriders (been one myself in the past) - but it does annoy me sometimes when it is right down the pavement. I remember vividly having to push a pram down the road to avoid the horse poo! If we were talking about a couple of horses a few times a week..fine..but the horses are ridden down this stretch several times daily and in groups of 6+..so, some days its no small amount. I dont need/want it for my garden or for the field as the dogs dig up the grass so its left rough.

Maybe the days of people taking it for their gardens are gone? Never seen anyone picking it up.

Cant remember who said you cant walk 7 dogs in certain places...never come across these places..and our dogs travel with us all over the UK..never had a comment/complaint yet.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
still not pleasant to have heaps of s**t on the pavements though.
If it's on the pavement that's different as they shouldn't be on the pavement in the first place.
But roads and country lanes etc yes.

Can I join the 'eaten my lunch with horsey hands' club please as many a time we went to the chippy with filthy hands.
I even remember filling a can of coke with brown water from the muck heap and the person who drank it lived to tell the tale. Mind you she never pinched our coke from the tack room again!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:47 PM
no defintally not, it dosent contain any nasties,Perhaps your FIL may like to stick it on his roses
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
But my horse never lived here with me He lived OUT too?? He's an OUTDOOR animal, and yes, he goes out with me, but if it wasn't for me, he'd be roaming the wilds like he has done for centuries upon centuries, he was probably here before us?
I doubt it H, if it wasn't for people wanting horses to ride, he probably wouldn't have been born in the first place.
I don't own one now as you know, but I'm just looking back to when I did, and how impossible it would be to carry out this request. I'm actually in stitches imagining myself jogging along with this great big waste sack hanging at the side of me banging me on the legs, or spooking my horse, oh it would be an impossibility quite honestly, you have enough to do with both hands controlling a horse on the roads with all the anti horse lunatic drivers everywhere around you, and you must agree, you HAVE to protect your horse from danger same as yourself?
I keep saying how it isn't practical to do it at the time....
Out in the countryside on bridleways, I'm sure wild animals would eat the poo anyway, so that's not toomuch of a problem. The road we are talking about leading to the stables, yes, I do consider that to be a problem and should be dealt with by the owners of the yard, and the village roads if they're busy enough, the dung doesn't sit there for very long anyway because cars flatten it almost immediately.

As for pushing your buggies around, just go around it, it can't possibly be everywhere, just open your eyes and go around it.
Shouldn't have to though surely???? It shouldn't even be on the pavements????
I manage to spot it every time coz I don't want Georgie eating it If you're on a bridleway, what are you doing on a bridleway with a buggy anyway??? Horses have right of way I hope you realise on a bridleway, and some ignorant horse rider could come flying past you at a flat out gallop if they so wished, they have every right to do that, they have right of way, not you. You should stick to footpaths where horses are NOT allowed and then you should be free of poo anyway?
Like pavements....
As I've said it's about repsect and considering other people.
I spend every Saturday morning on a stable yard and walking in the area around it...they manage to keep the surrounding areas clean so why can't others?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
If it's on the pavement that's different as they shouldn't be on the pavement in the first place.
But roads and country lanes etc yes.

Can I join the 'eaten my lunch with horsey hands' club please as many a time we went to the chippy with filthy hands.
I even remember filling a can of coke with brown water from the muck heap and the person who drank it lived to tell the tale. Mind you she never pinched our coke from the tack room again!
.... yes, but only if you've followed it through with wiping your cacky hands down the front of your sweatshirt too, and if you had shavings mixed in then you get extra points for that!!!!! PMSL at that coke thing!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
FIL (who was a jockey) would not expect a rider to dismount and clear it up but feels that because it is a large riding centre they should be resposible for clearing up behind themselves

We used to clean around 100m on the road outside our Yard, & outside a whingers cottage abit further down
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >