View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:20 AM
As both a rider and now some one who no longer lives in the contryside (Dam house prices!) i can see both side here.

Yes it would ve very unpractical to carry large bags of horse poo around.

On the other hand riders use our local large park, this is also used by the fooball club and has a large playground. There is often horse muck all over the place and the riders don't seem to give a monky's. Yet if my dog was caught messing and i didn't pick it up then £500 fine thank you very much!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I do understand it would be hard ot clean up and in some places totally unnecessary (even Forestry Commission places have adopted a stick and flick approach to dog poo for example) but in areas where there are lots of people and traffic I do think it should be cleaned up, no necessarily as soon as it's done, but certainly, as someone else mentioned, a wheelbarrow trip once a week. I don't see the harm in that but I can see a lot of good in it.
If there's a lot of traffic there won't be much left to pick up after a week, or even after a day on some roads, it would be flat. Not only that when I went out for a ride I could go for miles and miles and as an 11 year old at the time who did not drive how would I travel all those miles with a wheelbarrow?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
If there's a lot of traffic there won't be much left to pick up after a week, or even after a day on some roads, it would be flat. Not only that when I went out for a ride I could go for miles and miles and as an 11 year old at the time who did not drive how would I travel all those miles with a wheelbarrow?
Fair point about it disappearing after a week in a lot of traffic, but I did mean more people traffic than car traffic...
As an 11 year old, no you couldn't have wandered for mies....on your own...
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That's interesting, wonder how they police it???? if no one picks it up.

I would guess the riders "as a gesture of good will" are carrying out the weekly disposal of the manure.

Bridleways ,like public footpaths have right to roam, whether they are on council or private land.

By the way....Horses should not be on pavements they have right of way on roads/lanes/bridle paths.
I'm not a 100% sure, but I do know that the stables my eldest daughter used to go to got alot of warning letters from the council about the state of there local bridleway.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:36 AM
ok im not in the countryside...im in the suburbs and we have a lot of horsess around
and yes its not feasible but it would be very nice if they did clean up
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I'm not a 100% sure, but I do know that the stables my eldest daughter used to go to got alot of warning letters from the council about the state of there local bridleway.
Councils are very good at warning letters, without them actually checking, all someone has to do is complain, I mean we've all seen threads about people getting letter from councils about their dogs barking, when they haven't.
Whether they could actually do anything about it is a totally different matter.
It's a bridleway, the clues in the name, they'd have to proove all the poop came from the stables themselves as I'm sure other horses would use the way.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
ok im not in the countryside...im in the suburbs and we have a lot of horsess around
and yes its not feasible but it would be very nice if they did clean up
'Would be nice' is different to 'would be feasible' yes.
There are extreme people who believe it 'would be nice' if all dogs were muzzled in public.

It's just not practical to say everyone 'SHOULD' clean up after their horse.
If my horse did some as I was trotting along the road, in a country lane etc, on a bridleway then no.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:46 AM
YES! I am sick of heaps of s**t outside our gates and down the drive!!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
'Would be nice' is different to 'would be feasible' yes.
There are extreme people who believe it 'would be nice' if all dogs were muzzled in public.

It's just not practical to say everyone 'SHOULD' clean up after their horse.
If my horse did some as I was trotting along the road, in a country lane etc, on a bridleway then no.
hence why i said it would be nice...but not feasible

but i dont think horse crap is quite the same as muzzling a dog!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I haven't laughed so much in years after reading this thread, what with Becky and her jet wash, the nappy bags, poor Chris on his bike and by the time I got to the two horses with the cart attached to carry the poo, well I just fell off my chair!!!!!

I would never have dreamed in a million years that it would have become necessary to clean up after your horse whilst out on a ride! My horse would poo for England when out for 4 or 5 hours at a time, there just wouldn't be a bag big enough to cart that lot back to the stables and dump it on the muckheap, and there's no way I would have done it either! I live in a village where we have 2 racing yards, a string of 60 in each, can you imagine the amount of horse poo I come across on a daily basis, and like Becky said, it gets flattened in no time, hopefully before Georgie eats some too! As for clearing up on a bridleway, for a start, how would you know who is responsible? Loads of horse riders from miles around would use the same bridleway.Maybe we should get off and stick a flag in it which the council has kindly provided us with to identify which is our horse's poo, so when we get back we have to do the 10 mile trip again on foot with the wheelbarrow poo picking all the ones with our flag in them?? Oh c'mon this is ridiculous, isn't it? Isn't it??!!!

Horses are vegetarians, their poo doesn't cause any nasty bacteria, I would eat it myself! I used to pick it up with bare hands out of the stable, but I'd never do that with dog poo!!!

Keep this thread going please, I'm in stitches here!!!!
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »