View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Well my mum had a wonderful solution.... nappies she thinks its a great idea for those who will not clean up after their dogs.... maybe they can make them equine sized

Seriously though, its just not practical for a rider to clean up after their horse, though I do sympathise we have lots of horse poo round here that the boys have to eat!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 09:39 PM
dont think its particularly practical..

However if its a route to and from riding school that is regularly pood on I am surprised that they dont pick it up to use it on the ground etc - surely frorm the point of view of being greener etc they should collect it and use it in their fields or something?

I think if i lived on a road that was constantly covered in horse poo I might be a bit annoyed too. especially if you have to negotiate it when walking etc - ( thinking the sides of single track road etc )

But you cant expect a rider to get off and collect it so not sure what the answer is...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Horse "waste"

They could of course be required to wear Bun-bags as they should do in London
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Brighton & Hove council have a bylaw that states all bridleways that are on council land have to be kept clear of horse poo, so what happens is that once a week you see people with wheelbarrows and shovels picking it all up.

I mean how hard or difficult is it just to keep the place clean. If riders use the bridleways, then it should be riders that clean them up.
That's interesting, wonder how they police it???? if no one picks it up.

I would guess the riders "as a gesture of good will" are carrying out the weekly disposal of the manure.

Bridleways ,like public footpaths have right to roam, whether they are on council or private land.

By the way....Horses should not be on pavements they have right of way on roads/lanes/bridle paths.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 08:11 AM
I have to say those bun bags had me in stitches, they have their uses yes, but I was not surprised they came from the country that as more dressed up dogs than any other.

The thought of galloping along with a bag of horse wee behind me is not that appealing I have to say, coz don't forget lady horses would wee in it too, though they do suggest putting a baby's nappy in the bottom and some sawdust.

I also found it quite funny that if horses are docked they may lift their tail too high so you have to "Put two round, pool ball-sized rocks in bag to equal weight of one dump".

Bagsy me not cleaning the bag out when I get home too.
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-07-2008, 09:32 AM
As a motorcycle rider, there is nothing more frightening than having to ride through horse crap. For some unknown reason, they always take their dump on a corner, and let it scatter a good distance!

Now, for all those cagers, who wont know what im talking about..take your £200+ each rubber tyres, smear em in crap, and then try riding your £14k bike round the corner at usually national speed limits. Doesn't work does it?

I personally think its irrosponsible of horse riders to just 'ride their horse' and not have to clean up after them, just like its not right for dog owners to do similar. Heaven forbid, if I started taking a dump on my neighbours drive, you can be sure there would be aggro!

If people cant get off their horse to clean up, then they should employ a gopher with a shovel and bag, like they did in the good old days.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
As a motorcycle rider, there is nothing more frightening than having to ride through horse crap. For some unknown reason, they always take their dump on a corner, and let it scatter a good distance!

Now, for all those cagers, who wont know what im talking about..take your £200+ each rubber tyres, smear em in crap, and then try riding your £14k bike round the corner at usually national speed limits. Doesn't work does it?

I personally think its irrosponsible of horse riders to just 'ride their horse' and not have to clean up after them, just like its not right for dog owners to do similar. Heaven forbid, if I started taking a dump on my neighbours drive, you can be sure there would be aggro!

If people cant get off their horse to clean up, then they should employ a gopher with a shovel and bag, like they did in the good old days.
Lol, but where would it stop? They take cattle down the roads here, and that's a lot of poop!

I suggest that motorcyclists (and there are two nice bikes in our garage at the mo) would still have to give caution to said gopher hurredly shovelling poop in the road, which again could be dangerous to gopher and to biker, not to mention the fact that just when you thought you'd got round the gopher safely you'd find the horse round the corner too.

Plus for said gopher to keep up he would need a horse of his own.... more poop, and indeed maybe a small gig to enable him to carry all that poop on a long trek.

Again, horse poop is a different kettle of fish to dog poop, or even human poop (norty Chris).

P.S I have spoken to my OH and he says if he find his £200 tyres covered in horse manure he'll know its me.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 09:54 AM
It just isn't practical as far as I am concerned and also not really necessary. As someone else has said, where would it end? We move our cattle and sheep around on the roads up here ... should we have to clean up the poo left behind?

I agree it is all part and parcel of countryside living.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree it is all part and parcel of countryside living.
That's just it.
I love in wonderful countryside, by the sea. The air is clean and it is so quiet here, I don't have traffic or petrol fumes 24 hours a day to contend with but I do have countryside fumes now and then.
I know which I would rather have.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I do understand it would be hard ot clean up and in some places totally unnecessary (even Forestry Commission places have adopted a stick and flick approach to dog poo for example) but in areas where there are lots of people and traffic I do think it should be cleaned up, no necessarily as soon as it's done, but certainly, as someone else mentioned, a wheelbarrow trip once a week. I don't see the harm in that but I can see a lot of good in it.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »