Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
so if I am referring to the group of youths on the corner as "they" I must include the whole population of youths in my statement or I am being rude

And your point being??? I know lots of people who bring over horses from Ireland, those youngsters that have been "worked " to soon, are turned away, depending on age, up to 12 mths.

Of cause it does not include the whole of Ireland . just relating my own and people I know in the business's`s experiences, sorry if you read into it I was generalizing a whole Country
No obviously you must not include the whole population of youths. What you must include is all the youths on the corner when referring to them as "they". If you are only referring to some of the youths on the corner then you would refer to them as "some of the youths on the corner" and not "they" as in all of them.

My point being that not everybody in Ireland with horses is the same as your experience.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Well you obviously know more about horses than I do, I have only owned and ridden them for over 40yrs!!!!!!!! also mydaughter has competed her ponies /horses at HOYS , and many many more top level events.

A horse will not hit a fence because he has turned out /in feet, it is in the action of his Knees , if he is clean in picking his front legs up and tucking them into his undercarriage, it make little difference whether his feet are facing "west" or "east".

If the conformation is wrong in the limbs, it can cause problems in soundness...I also had a horse many many yrs ago, with the conformation of a rocking horse....he could jump the moon....so yes , sometimes you can be lucky.

I do know dogs are not horses, in breeding and anatomy, and the reasons why people breed early.

The most important thing Shona will be looking for is suitability of any of the ponies, for the ability of the rider, and hopefully grow together.
one word ""Baloney" I have been a PROFESSIONAL in the equine world for 25yrs made my living doing it
internationally and am still learning everyday,
it does make a difference,sorry "owner rider" but thats just the facts, every thing that is written in books or experienced with a few owned horses over a long span of time,doesnt always translate to thousands of other horses competing in international sports every day
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Have just skim read this as im off out soon so sorry if i repeat anyone..

But honestly... I dont like either. The conformation doesn't impress me much. The mare's topline is too straight and her croup does not seem to slope enough for me. The bum is very important for jumping! The gelding.. Well, its a very bad picture, but i dont like his legs, he's not got enough bone for my liking and too much body.

I have a connemara who i've had 11 years. He is Dunlewey bred and is a fantastic jumper. He made the england junior eventing team!! He is the boldest hunter you could want, will jump anything! Perfect temperment and so so genuine!

The connie x TB looks nicer, and that is a lovely cross for jumping. But if you want a purebred i'd look into getting one from Ireland. This is what we did with mine and there is a MUCH better choice and a lot cheaper than over here. They are started early there though. Mine had done at least one season hunting when we got him and he was only 3..

But all in all, there are better competition prospects out there Its much better to spend more time and money on a really good quality one. Those two may be really well bred, but for me the conformation doesn't look ideal for jumping.. But i'd go see them and try them Though i guess the gelding wont be able to do much for a while..

And just cos i loooooooooooove showing him off, this is my handsome man Charlie

Now this is what I would go for,,, hes stunning. guessing he aint for sale,

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I want a Clydesdale!!!!! Does your friend who breeds them have a website??????

Yup he breeds, but nope he dont have a web site, but you aint that far away,,,lol

I like the Gelding better, but then I don't like greys!
Jessica, What Lovely Boy, Connemara's re fabulous ponies, along with the talent they can also be one of the most spirited and stubborn breeds around, but when you get a good one they are unbeatable.

Buying from the sales in Ireland is even more of a risk than buying her, and the saying "you get what you pay for" is never more true..... the Irish Horse Dealers , are a canny lot(as are most horse dealers) they are not going to sell the quality for anything else then top money...yes you can get pick up bargains. or you may think you have (known to many people try to do a "do it yourself job) and been stung, if you are going to buy from the sales, go through a third party, make sure you have someone who has a contact over there to act for you.

Remember most of our top competition riders also go over to Ireland to buy, and most of the quality will be sold and agreed upon outside the sales ring.

Our own boy was bought like this, we had a friend who had contacts, we paid a"top" price for him but he is and has been worth every penny....

Here he is competing in a 5yr old class, which he won) with my daughter .

He is a Sports horse ID X ( King of Diamonds lines)

Sadly that happens a lot, they do hunt and jump them much to early, but that is for one purpose only to add to their sale value.... most people who buy them "with form" tend to turn them away for a while ,when they bring them over, to allow them to recoup and grow, then bring them back and start their eduction again from scratch .
Not to keen on king of diamonds, he aint far from us,,, but your lad look lovely,

Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
my 2 girls pony sexy silver

awe what a sweety,,, thanks for the photos

Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
one word ""Baloney" I have been a PROFESSIONAL in the equine world for 25yrs made my living doing it
internationally and am still learning everyday,
it does make a difference,sorry "owner rider" but thats just the facts, every thing that is written in books or experienced with a few owned horses over a long span of time,doesnt always translate to thousands of other horses competing in international sports every day
thanks Bal,, I know your with horses day in day out so your comments are valued, x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 06:58 AM
just to show her off, this was my horse, Hallie, sold her a while ago now. She is Quarter Horse x TB,was around 6 in these pics

Sadly it was so long ago now i dont have her Competition shots on the PC, i WILL get them scanned on to CD one day!!!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
one word ""Baloney" I have been a PROFESSIONAL in the equine world for 25yrs made
Oh dear, I think you should refrain from getting your knickers in a twist, there is no need for it......you are NOT the only Professional around , and as in all aspects of life ,people will have different opinions. and the assumption that owner/riders have no knowledge is insulting. There are some PROFESSIONALS I would not leave a dead donkey in their care,,,, but others I would trust and do trust with the care of my animals...same goes for the "owner/rider" some good some bad.

There are many "owner/ riders, out there who have more knowledge in their little finger , than some professionals.

I never said you cant breed at 2/3 yr old , I know many people will follow that practice. Unless you have an outstanding mare, and are a professional stud, the average person who breeds young mares usually do it for other reasons. There are people around who "if it is female , will breed" for no other reason that that....I have met enough of them over the years.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Not to keen on king of diamonds, he aint far from us,,, but your lad look lovely

Sorry Shona, I think you may be mistaken,King of Diamonds died in 1991 at the age of 29 and was stood in Ireland.

Just a thought Shona, the Grey Mare has foal at foot, is that an old photo, or is the Foal still at foot, what age is the foal.

[
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 05:50 PM
hi hun how did it go today waiting to hear from you
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi all, No luck, not sure what the problems with them were, just going to call arabella shortly to find out, will let you know when I have talked to her, But got a text saying that they werent suitable,
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Yup he breeds, but nope he dont have a web site, but you aint that far away,,,lol
Don't!!! Just don't!!!! LOL

maybe in a year or two.. I am desperately seeking livery for CJ's pony at the minute and NO where is suitable (too big) or has no space!!! ARGH
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Don't!!! Just don't!!!! LOL

maybe in a year or two.. I am desperately seeking livery for CJ's pony at the minute and NO where is suitable (too big) or has no space!!! ARGH

its a nightmare getting good livery, Im blessed having the farm, what kind of area would you be looking for livery, I know a few folk out that way,,, poss could put you onto someone, is it full livery, part livery, or live out sort of thing?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
its a nightmare getting good livery, Im blessed having the farm, what kind of area would you be looking for livery, I know a few folk out that way,,, poss could put you onto someone, is it full livery, part livery, or live out sort of thing?
Grass Livery 24/7 she lives out with rugs so a stable isn't needed.. but if yard only does daily turnout then thats fine..It would be DIY I would be there everyday..

I have tried most of them LOL still waiting to hear back from one!!

I just need a wee corner of a field somewhere LOL
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >