Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I'd just like to add that when I suggested looking in Ireland for a connemara pony I did not mention the sales. Not all horses and ponies are bought and sold through the sales. Personally I would never buy a horse from the sales and prefer to visit the horse at home several times before deciding.

I also feel that referring to the Irish as "they" is rather rude. Yes I agree that some people do start their horses younger than I would but not everybody is the same, or does things the same way just because of where they live.

The reason I suggested looking for a connemara pony over here is due to the fact that there is obviously much more choice.

I was not referring to the "Irish " as "they" I was referring to the topic of horse dealers....I could marry that up to any horse dealer....the dealers down the road, the breeder in the next county....I could acquaint it to family , friends,

If I was referring to the group of youths standing on the street corner as "they" is that rude, or the people who live next door to me.

Don't read into to a text something that is not there.... THEY ARE , THEY DID, and so on!!!!!!!!!!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I was not referring to the "Irish " as "they" I was referring to the topic of horse dealers....I could marry that up to any horse dealer....the dealers down the road, the breeder in the next county....I could acquaint it to family , friends,

If I was referring to the group of youths standing on the street corner as "they" is that rude, or the people who live next door to me.

Don't read into to a text something that is not there.... THEY ARE , THEY DID, and so on!!!!!!!!!!
This is the post I was referring to. It clearly states that you were referring to the Irish. All I was saying is that is is unfair to generalise. There are good and bad people that sell horses everywhere, whether dealers or private sales.

Also, no it is not rude to refer to a group of people as "they" as long as the subject being spoken about includes the whole group.

"Sadly that happens a lot, they do hunt and jump them much to early, but that is for one purpose only to add to their sale value.... most people who buy them "with form" tend to turn them away for a while ,when they bring them over, to allow them to recoup and grow, then bring them back and start their eduction again from scratch ."
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 10:41 PM
OK first you cant critique those horses from those pics,the pics are just not good enough the horses are not standing straight in any of them,second 3yrs old is NOT too young to break a conni pony,3rd many people breed their mares while they are waiting for them to mature enough to do real work,so being bred young is not always a bad thing,4th a 12 yr old girl who can ride well, is more capable than 60 percent of adults on a horse,5th if you are talking conni it doesnt matter mare or gelding they will both give the job their best,TB on the other hand mares are tops, geldings are like spanish men (cheating fools).so really its alot more about breed that boy or girl
ps turned out feet on a jumper is sometimes an advantage
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-01-2008, 10:44 PM
This is the post I was referring to. It clearly states that you were referring to the Irish. All I was saying is that is is unfair to generalise. There are good and bad people that sell horses everywhere, whether dealers or private sales.

[B]Also, no it is not rude to refer to a group of people as "they" as long as the subject being spoken about includes the whole group
so if I am referring to the group of youths on the corner as "they" I must include the whole population of youths in my statement or I am being rude

"Sadly that happens a lot, they do hunt and jump them much to early, but that is for one purpose only to add to their sale value.... most people who buy them "with form" tend to turn them away for a while ,when they bring them over, to allow them to recoup and grow, then bring them back and start their eduction again from scratch .

And your point being??? I know lots of people who bring over horses from Ireland, those youngsters that have been "worked " to soon, are turned away, depending on age, up to 12 mths.

Of cause it does not include the whole of Ireland . just relating my own and people I know in the business's`s experiences, sorry if you read into it I was generalizing a whole Country
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 10:52 PM
my 2 girls pony sexy silver

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
OK first you cant critique those horses from those pics,the pics are just not good enough the horses are not standing straight in any of them,second 3yrs old is NOT too young to break a conni pony,3rd many people breed their mares while they are waiting for them to mature enough to do real work,so being bred young is not always a bad thing,4th a 12 yr old girl who can ride well, is more capable than 60 percent of adults on a horse,5th if you are talking conni it doesnt matter mare or gelding they will both give the job their best,TB on the other hand mares are tops, geldings are like spanish men (cheating fools).so really its alot more about breed that boy or girl
ps turned out feet on a jumper is sometimes an advantage
How do you work that out...I would love to hear, the logic behind that..

Feet that turn in or out, , to flat a heel to upright, are all conformation faults, and will in time couse stress on said joints....Yes some of the best SJ`s have the worst conformation, but will need remedial shoeing and whatever it takes to keep them in work.

The saying goes.........No foot , No horse!!

All you said above is true, it does not make it right, or wrong, people will break in a horse at whatever age they want to....but the longer you leave horse or pony to mature (lightly at 3 ish then again at 4 ) you hopefully will have less problems in the future. and yes some people will breed a mare before she is old enough to be broken, just like some dog breeders, they will get the most out of her they can.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 11:05 PM
lovley pics toni,great little guy xxxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
How do you work that out...I would love to hear, the logic behind that..

feet that turn in or out, , to flat a heel to upright, are all conformation faults, and will in time couse stress on said joints....Yes some of the best SJ`s have the worst conformation, but will need remedial shoeing and whatever it takes to keep them in work.

The saying goes.........No foot , No horse!!

All you said above is true, it does not make it right, or wrong, people will break in a horse at whatever age they wont to....but the longer you leave horse or pony to mature (lightly at 3 ish then again at 4 ) you hopefully will have less problems in the future. and yes some people will breed a mare before she is old enough to be broken, just like some dog breeders, they will get the most out of her they can.
I didnt work it out I know it to be,I might not know dogs but horses I know,I am not saying if you are choosing a broodmare choose the ones with the turned out feet I am saying dont turn down a nice horse because its feet turn out, when they jump if they jump with their feet turning out and away instead of under they are more likely to not hit the jump,with their front feet.
one of my best mares had both feet badly turned out she was broke at 2ys old and competed untill she was 27 with no special shoeing and no lameness in fact she rode like a 2 yr old on a trail ride at 29 yrs old,she had several babies,because she was so awesome we chose to breed her, both born with straight legs and both in competition now at 9 and 10 with no lameness,both broke as 2yr olds
horses are not dogs and the reason to breed a mare before she is old enough to be broke is in no way the same reasoning, as a breeder breeding a bitch
Shona the grey mare is nice
xxxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
I didnt work it out I know it to be,I might not know dogs but horses I know,I am not saying if you are choosing a broodmare choose the ones with the turned out feet I am saying dont turn down a nice horse because its feet turn out, when they jump if they jump with their feet turning out and away instead of under they are more likely to not hit the jump,with their front feet.
one of my best mares had both feet badly turned out she was broke at 2ys old and competed untill she was 27 with no special shoeing and no lameness in fact she rode like a 2 yr old on a trail ride at 29 yrs old,she had several babies,because she was so awesome we chose to breed her, both born with straight legs and both in competition now at 9 and 10 with no lameness,both broke as 2yr olds
horses are not dogs and the reason to breed a mare before she is old enough to be broke is in no way the same reasoning, as a breeder breeding a bitch
Shona the grey mare is nice
xxxx
Well you obviously know more about horses than I do, I have only owned and ridden them for over 40yrs!!!!!!!! also mydaughter has competed her ponies /horses at HOYS , and many many more top level events.

A horse will not hit a fence because he has turned out /in feet, it is in the action of his Knees , if he is clean in picking his front legs up and tucking them into his undercarriage, it make little difference whether his feet are facing "west" or "east".

If the conformation is wrong in the limbs, it can cause problems in soundness...I also had a horse many many yrs ago, with the conformation of a rocking horse....he could jump the moon....so yes , sometimes you can be lucky.

I do know dogs are not horses, in breeding and anatomy, and the reasons why people breed early.

The most important thing Shona will be looking for is suitability of any of the ponies, for the ability of the rider, and hopefully grow together.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I know very little about the equine world, my auntie owned a TB and a connemara pony, the TB from when he left his mum, his breeder was a good friend and bred him for her, he was a lovely horse, shame he belonged to my auntie as he met a bit of a rubbish end along with his wee pony pal. Anyway not to get started on that!

SO! From the little knowledge I do have from what I was taught when I used to ride my aunties pair, I like the Con X TB but I really don't think you can say much at all untill you meet the horses in the flesh. JMO.

Jessica, I just wanted to say Charlie is absolutely stunning!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >