Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Firstly Irish Sport Horses, can be anything from 16 16 3hh, even bigger depending on parentage.... as they are usually crossed with a Irish Draught..... and don't reach full height until they are 5/6 ish (as we found out with our last one, 16 hhs when we bought him as a 4 yr old , reached 16 3hh.

Forget the XTB ,if it is skittish, to much for a 12 yr old child.

Mares can be temperamental, so you may have that to deal with, along with any other problems.

You don't say how old the Mare is , is she youngish??

Hi, she is 5yrs

There are usually reasons why people put youngish mares in foal, and none are good....1)

I think on a stud its pretty much the done thing,, I would just like to clear up, A its not a dealer, B its not someone just selling horses,,,the chap breeds connemaras,

they have proven to be un rideable...2)

she has been broken and apparently rides well

they have been injured, and the owners have taken the opportunity to breed from them while they are out of work.

Again she is not owned by someone who has one horse she belongs to the stud,

Also looking at the pics of the Mare, I don't like her forelegs...her feet turn out, (you should be able to run a straight line down through her shoulder, knee , to her feet.

This is the thing that kinda gets me about her,

Same with her back end, you should be able to run a straight line down from point of tail through hock, cannon and fetlock , and altought she is not standing straight, her lower leg is not straight, bring her heel to the grownd, which will put pressure on the Fetlock joint .

Don't be tempted to go to Ireland to buy your own...leave that to the people who know how to do it....when buying from the sales in Ireland, you need to have contacts, know someone who will work for you, and know your horses in and out. to many people go over thinking they can get a bargain, don't you believe it, by the time you have paid the price of the pony/horse, paid for its vetting , transport, and you own accommodation, you will be paying top prices.

Thats the next option, as mentioned before, Gayle who rode for GB when younger does regular trips to Ireland, she would be able to look out for a good one for us,

The Gelding in the field , although overweight, seem in this case the best option, but as you will know, you should never go on just apparences, with horses.... their is a whole bigger picture to look at , temperament and ability.
True,

But the one thing in a mares favour, is,,, nothing is for sure, she may well not make the best show jumper,,but the gelding is totaly unproven so,,,,in the event that they just didnt enjoy or do well, you can always take a foal from a mare,,,not so with a gelding, also if she should be injured as you say they could take a foal from her,

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Not to bad Shona, but then I'd had her since she left her mum, I knew her from when she 2 weeks old, she had her moments, but was basically 100% bomb proof as they say, when she was 4 years old, I took her to Horsemans Sunday at Hyde Park, expecting her to be a bit iffy, but she wasn't, she just took it all in her stride, even when someone came past in a horse and cart, she just looked and we carried on as if it were an everyday occurance, the only problem I ever had with her, was when we started to do cross country and she loved it so much it was difficult to stop her

My first horse was a 3yr old chestnut gelding,,,TB x I have to say,,, I wouldnt pick that for a young girl now,,but I had no worries with him he was so well behaved,,,lol x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2008, 05:20 PM
If she is only 5yrs and has a a foal at foot, looks a few months old, she will have had a gestation of 11 months , so to have been backed broken ridden and proven over jumps,/road work/ flat work, she would have had to been broken in at 3yrs old, to young for a Connemara..now I know some people will break them in to young, not good for young joints, and to achieve a good degree of schooling (to the level she may have) needs more than a couple of months work.

If she is on a Stud Farm , them she has been used as a brood Mare, if she was a potenal show/SJ prospect, they would have got more money for her by saving her , breaking her in and selling her as proven, rather than selling her as an X brood Mare. but as you say, if not up to the job, you can always have a foal form her,

As you will know buying horses is a mine field, you will be able to see if the gelding has potenal /movement, when he is loose schooled over jumps.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 05:33 PM
the mare would be six in a few months,,,
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Have just skim read this as im off out soon so sorry if i repeat anyone..

But honestly... I dont like either. The conformation doesn't impress me much. The mare's topline is too straight and her croup does not seem to slope enough for me. The bum is very important for jumping! The gelding.. Well, its a very bad picture, but i dont like his legs, he's not got enough bone for my liking and too much body.

I have a connemara who i've had 11 years. He is Dunlewey bred and is a fantastic jumper. He made the england junior eventing team!! He is the boldest hunter you could want, will jump anything! Perfect temperment and so so genuine!

The connie x TB looks nicer, and that is a lovely cross for jumping. But if you want a purebred i'd look into getting one from Ireland. This is what we did with mine and there is a MUCH better choice and a lot cheaper than over here. They are started early there though. Mine had done at least one season hunting when we got him and he was only 3..

But all in all, there are better competition prospects out there Its much better to spend more time and money on a really good quality one. Those two may be really well bred, but for me the conformation doesn't look ideal for jumping.. But i'd go see them and try them Though i guess the gelding wont be able to do much for a while..

And just cos i loooooooooooove showing him off, this is my handsome man Charlie

Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I want a Clydesdale!!!!! Does your friend who breeds them have a website??????

I like the Gelding better, but then I don't like greys!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow Jessica, what a performer!! Yes, I agree, they even hunt them as 2 year olds in Ireland don't they!! Mine had been in the ring in Ireland when I bought him as a 3 year old, but of course he wasn't quite good enough and that's why they sold him on. Luckily for me that's all they had done with him though, coz I don't like the idea of hunting them at such a young age, stopping on a sixpence and all that, tendons etc. Not good!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 08:33 PM
i prefer the gelding,
but i really like the X best, think hes lovely
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Jessica, What Lovely Boy, Connemara's re fabulous ponies, along with the talent they can also be one of the most spirited and stubborn breeds around, but when you get a good one they are unbeatable.

Buying from the sales in Ireland is even more of a risk than buying her, and the saying "you get what you pay for" is never more true..... the Irish Horse Dealers , are a canny lot(as are most horse dealers) they are not going to sell the quality for anything else then top money...yes you can get pick up bargains. or you may think you have (known to many people try to do a "do it yourself job) and been stung, if you are going to buy from the sales, go through a third party, make sure you have someone who has a contact over there to act for you.

Remember most of our top competition riders also go over to Ireland to buy, and most of the quality will be sold and agreed upon outside the sales ring.

Our own boy was bought like this, we had a friend who had contacts, we paid a"top" price for him but he is and has been worth every penny....

Here he is competing in a 5yr old class, which he won) with my daughter .

He is a Sports horse ID X ( King of Diamonds lines)

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
, I agree, they even hunt them as 2 year olds in Ireland don't they!! Mine had been in the ring in Ireland when I bought him as a 3 year old, but of course he wasn't quite good enough and that's why they sold him on. Luckily for me that's all they had done with him though, coz I don't like the idea of hunting them at such a young age, stopping on a sixpence and all that, tendons etc. Not good!
Sadly that happens a lot, they do hunt and jump them much to early, but that is for one purpose only to add to their sale value.... most people who buy them "with form" tend to turn them away for a while ,when they bring them over, to allow them to recoup and grow, then bring them back and start their eduction again from scratch .
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I'd just like to add that when I suggested looking in Ireland for a connemara pony I did not mention the sales. Not all horses and ponies are bought and sold through the sales. Personally I would never buy a horse from the sales and prefer to visit the horse at home several times before deciding.

I also feel that referring to the Irish as "they" is rather rude. Yes I agree that some people do start their horses younger than I would but not everybody is the same, or does things the same way just because of where they live.

The reason I suggested looking for a connemara pony over here is due to the fact that there is obviously much more choice.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »