Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 12:52 PM

connemara which would you buy,

As some may know, Myself and Arabella have been searching for a new youngster to bring on, This will be mostly used for arabellas daughter to further her showjumping as she has outgrown Dennis her current pony,

Tomorow, Arabella and her OH are going to see these two Connemaras, Im not going down,
The problem being when we had a look last night, Arabella asked which one I though looked better, now myself, Arabellas dad, along with some others all said the same one,
Allana perfers the opposite, now its her horse, but I will be doing a bit with it too, as well as her mum,
Ian will be the one who gets final say,,{Ian is Arabellas OH,} he has breed Clydesdales all his life, having owned / breed a gold cup winner,
Just wondered which one you thought from photos is the better one,

this mare

or this gelding who I believe is 2yrs old in the photo,
so will be rising 3 in the spring,

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Shona, what about an Irish Sport Horse, bred for jumping but not too big??? I've seen some in action and really like those? Perhaps they are Connemara though? I only know them as Irish Sports Horses?

Difficult to say from those pics, but I like the 2nd gelding, and don't forget, a gelding you can TELL him what to do, whereas the mare, you'll have to ASK her, and very nicely too! That's just my opinion, but of course, some mares would die for you wouldn't they!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I have to say,, my biggest concerns about the mare are, she looks a tad wide in the front, she's had a foal, so could be mareish, but we wouldnt know untill the summer, she is already broken to ride, {we prefer to have a nice clean sheet, unbroken that way we know exactly whats been put in} that said the gelding kinda looks a bit wide in the front in his photo too, The reason we are going for a Connemara, is,,,,I havent met one thats bad, cant jump, also they tend to be pretty healthy, long lived, some sports horses are part connemara, but I think the biggest % are Irish draught X TB or WB, We would consider a Con X TB or WB, the problem with Connemaras,,,is cost, some have a price tag of 12'000 to 15'000 if they are broken and doing well over jumps, some wee irish man is laughing his socks off over in Connemara, eh?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:15 PM
this chap is also up for sale, hes a Con X TB, the downside being, hes a bit sharp, Alana's only 12yrs old, that said the chap will be looking at Allana as a normal 12yr old rider, but she's a far better rider than most adults, she's about the same height as me.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:15 PM
My kids own a connemara,and can jump anything you put in front of him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Lol! Yes! Anything Irish is going to be wide in front don't you think? Anything Irish is going to jump and enjoy it, sort of jumps for fun, but imo, and this is only through experience, a blooming mare might not be so eager on some days, being a female and all that, you know what I mean! Lol!

My own horse was 7/8 ID/Tb and I've also had an ID stallion on loan who was absolutely gorgeous and would do anything, except he jumped a bit higher than necessary sometimes but you can understand why?!!!

YOu won't know until she sees them, and being an Irish seller (don't know??) they will have an indoor school and loose school them both for you, and even put them over the jumps and that will give you a much better idea won't it. That's what they did for me when I bought from an Irish dealer! They don't allow vets either, they just hold a lighter up to their eyes!!!!

Sorry I can't be more help, someone else may come along?

p.s. what's wrong with being deep chester anyways? I like that??? More power from the lungs!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:31 PM
lol, its not a dealer, or an irish man, I guess reading my post it could look that way, its a connemara stud in the borders, when we had a chat last night about it, the end result was,,,,,go with an open mind, like you say photos dont always give a clear picture, they have an arena, so it wont be a problem to ride the two that are broken, then lunge the youngster, oohh getting quite excited now,, If there is any fault with them Ian will see it at a glance, every other one thats been looked at he has found somit arabella and I would have never seen,
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:34 PM
I would have said the gelding in the first pics you sent, the mare seems a light at the back end to me, but I guess it does come down the temperament as well, as a kid I always wanted a grey mare, and ended up with a chesnut mare
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
I would have said the gelding in the first pics you sent, the mare seems a light at the back end to me, but I guess it does come down the temperament as well, as a kid I always wanted a grey mare, and ended up with a chesnut mare
oooo,, chesnut mare! was she a bit hot to handle you know how chestnut mares kind get that rep?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 01:45 PM
some of the photos of the grey mare, she does look a bit heavy in the body for her legs if you know what I mean apparently the chap did say she was a tad overweight at the time though,,,
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »