Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 08:44 AM

How to attract a Parrot??

Hi all, my co-director at work has asked me this morning!

Apparently, he has what he thinks is a parrot residing in and around his garden (for about 2-3 weeks now). It flys mostly just after daybreak, making loud squarking noises! he says it is fairly large (about 12 - 16 inches) as far as he can tell, but would like to entince it to land in the garden to get a closer look. They don't feed the other birds regularly, but wonders what he could put out for his new friend.

I am a little puzzled as well, I didn't think we had 'wild' parrots here, but if it was an escapee, wouldn't it's wings have been clipped? (showing my ignorance - sorry )

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 09:45 AM
ashlady it sounds like a parrot that has escaped
not all birds have their wings clipped,none of mine have

to try and entice it in he should leave a window or door open and put some fruit or seed down on the ledge or step
sometimes birds that have escaped stay loose for weeks
doe,s he know what colour this bird is?
hope he catches it as most tame birds will get killed by other birds in the wild

let me know if he needs anymore help on this
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks Jackie, I was hoping you'd see this I'll let him know when he returns. Any particular type of fruit? and what should he do to house it if it does come down and he can catch it?
I did ask about colouring etc. but he said that as it only just coming light when he sees it, he can't tell.

My first thought was it being attacked by other birds, I get very protective of 'my birds' in the garden
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2005, 10:02 AM
We had fun catching an escaped budgie when I was young.

In the end, laid a trap - an upturned washing basket (one of those plastic ones) raised at one end on a stick with a string attached. This was put over a thick piece of card and a spray of millet seed as bait. When the bird went underneath, we yanked the string so the stick was pulled out of the way.

The cardboard allowed us to turn everything back the right way up and take into the house.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 10:07 AM
he will need some type of cage to trap it in
a cardboard box will be no good as a parrot can destroy one in 2 mins
maybe a carrier type box

with the fruit i say the more colourful the better so the bird sees it,maybe strawberry,grapes,melon
i really hope he can catch it
if he doe,s it may be wearing a ring on it,s leg
if it has it will be easy to trace the owner
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 10:24 AM
This might sound daft, but if he could find out what kind it is, then somehow get a tape of the same type of parrots calling, and play it in the garden. Parrots are very gregarious and if it heard other Parrots it would encourage it to visit the garden.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Het
This might sound daft, but if he could find out what kind it is, then somehow get a tape of the same type of parrots calling, and play it in the garden. Parrots are very gregarious and if it heard other Parrots it would encourage it to visit the garden.
Het, I am to Parrots what Pavarotti is to brick laying!! I'll tell him, anythings worth a go eh? it might just work, thanks
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Any parrot type noises might work I suppose, might not impress his neighbours though specially first thing in the morning
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 11:07 AM
We've just been chatting about it. He says that he piles up the windfall apples outside the coach-house and that may be why the parrot comes to his garden

If it is tame, he says it sounds very angry and isn't looking forward to catching it!

Off to look in the charity shops now to try and find a cage of some sort
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Maybe the local animal rescue could lend you something ? or the local vet? or you could borrow a small dog crate off someone?

It sounds angry I just got this picture of a cross parrot sitting in a tree shouting b***er off at everyone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >