Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think we`ll be lucky to have any wildlife left in a couple of hundred years, personally. So if the squirrels are thriving, it`s natural selection as far as I`m concerned.

Totally agree
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Grey Squirrels are omnivores. They predate on baby Birds and anything else they can eat. Reds are herbivores. They do not eat meat.
does that actually matter,

Not a chance. It will take hundreds of years to get them back in any sort of numbers all over the UK.
by which time we will have wiped out the wood land so they will die out anyway, what is so special about red squires that make them better than greys?
Yes MASSES of it, the Greys are the sole reason for the decline and extinction in some parts of the Reds.

Greys carry "Squirrel pox" it KILLS Reds but most greys survive. The Greys being so wide spread have eliminated all the areas where the reds thrived mainly because of this, and also because of the fact they are larger, more aggressive and take over territories and feeding areas etc..

It is not difficult to shoot Squirrels, believe me. Its the fact they are in such incredible numbers that case the problem.
what about the change of woodland, i watched a program that reds cant cope as well in modern forests, greys can, this problem on every level is because of man
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post

by which time we will have wiped out the wood land so they will die out anyway, what is so special about red squires that make them better than greys?

what about the change of woodland, i watched a program that reds cant cope as well in modern forests, greys can, this problem on every level is because of man
So basically we should do nothing - all all the trees and native birds that are declining as a direct result of this introduced non native animal should just be let die out?

Yes reds do less well on some types of woodland - which means they are less dense in those woodlands and have less of an impact - not destroying trees and fragile tubers and bulbs
out compeating birds for nesting sites and feeding of their eggs and young
raiding some birds winter store of nuts and seeds

Its not just the red squrels who suffer - our woodlands have adapted a careful balance between out native flora and fauna
Greys are putting this out of balance

and to say we should do nothing cos we are going to wipe out all the woodlands in the UK anyways! -

This is a mess man has made - and a mess man should fix
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
Well considering thats what Luthian asked, the differences bewteen the two species, yes of course it does!

You know this how?
The Red Squirrel is our native species, the Grey isnt. Its an imported pest. It destroys woodland (which you seem to care about) and is driving our native red to the brink of extinction. Something which it has already achieved in some parts.

Then we should do everything possible to ensure their number rise to give them the best shot at "evolving" and coping with the situation you claim is happening. Im somewhat intrigued to know what a "modern" forest is though, especially when neither the red nor the grey squirrel need them to live in specifically.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
How do grey squirrels destroy woodland?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How do grey squirrels destroy woodland?
A short excerpt:

The most vulnerable trees are sycamore, beech, oak, sweet chestnut, pine, larch and Norway spruce, aged between 10 and 40 years old; though almost any broadleaved species of tree can be attacked. Bark stripping is a problem in woodland where the squirrel numbers are greater than 5 squirrels per hectare. The risk of damage may be greatest where there are vulnerable trees next to mature woodland that produces a good seed crop, which in turn supports a high density of squirrels.

Some of the damaged trees will die, some will succumb to fungal infection. Where the fungus enters, the wood will become stained and may rot. In many cases, the stems will be deformed which reduces the value of the timber. If branches in the canopy are attacked, dieback may result and again the quality and quantity of timber produced is affected.
I read somewhere that they are more responsible for tree damage than Deer! I cannot lay my hands on that at the moment though. It also showed images of squirrel damage in a young woodland. Should I find it again I will post the link.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Re Squirrel Pox virus:

The origin of squirrelpox virus in red squirrels is the introduced American grey squirrel. Research shows that the antibodies to the virus are very common in many grey squirrel populations in England & Wales (although not in Scotland until recently – 13 grey squirrels have tested positive for antibodies since June 2005) but only one case of disease has been found in a grey squirrel. Red squirrels are not found to carry the antibodies unless they are already
succumbing to squirrelpox disease. It is therefore thought that grey squirrels act as a reservoir host for the virus. All wild-living red squirrels observed to be
affected by squirrelpox virus appear to die within 2 weeks of becoming infected.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 11:25 PM
My biggest question is, will humans learn from things like this to stop interfering with everything?... I doubt it!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5