Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Just wanted to ask everyone who thinks we shouldnt do anything
Is it OK with you for them to spread out further into the reds few remaining strongholds and wipe them out totaly or should we do something at the borders of the territory - a selected cull??
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I would gladly kill EVERY Grey Squirrel I saw. I shoot them at every opportunity. They have driven our native Reds to near extinction and they have gone from many parts. They should be culled completely.

But they're luffly and fluffy.......
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Survival of the fittest, they don't bother me at all so why should I bother them. Anyway they're cute
I'm afraid I feel the same way...... to cull a living thing, to me, is abhorrant, and nothing will make me feel any differently - it's the the way I feel about ALL living creatures.

I remember the bird (sparrows, I think) cull that was televised many years ago where they were forced to fly until they dropped dead using noise. I still remember it with horror......
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
What exactly is the difference between red and grey squirrels, other than colour obviously!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
What exactly is the difference between red and grey squirrels, other than colour obviously!
The red squirrel has been a native of our land for several thousand years, whereas the first greys were brought here from North America in 1876. Grey squirrels can also carry squirrelpox virus (SQPV), which causes severe clinical disease and mortality in red squirrels without causing any symptoms in the grey carriers.

Grey squirrel size:

Average adult weight:
Summer 480g
Winter 600g

Length:
Head and body 26cm
Tail 22cm

Red squirrel size
Average adult weight:
Summer 260g
Winter 285g

Length:
Head and body 22cm
Tail 18cm
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't mind the grey ones...in their native environment.
However here isn't it, they're having a detrimental effect on the reds whose native environment this is.
They are only here because of us.
I may find them cute, but that won't change the fact I'd like to see them removed, completely from this island.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Yup the SQPV is horrible for the reds

also greys eat shoots and things way before reds, so basically wipe out all the food before the reds get a chance to eat them

See either we cull the greys or the greys cull the reds by starvation and horrible illnesses
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Just throwing a curve ball in here.....but if we get rid of the greys and the reds are left to flourish, in fifty years time won't be just be complaining that the reds are vermin and wanting a cull on them?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Grey Squirrels are omnivores. They predate on baby Birds and anything else they can eat. Reds are herbivores. They do not eat meat.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
Just throwing a curve ball in here.....but if we get rid of the greys and the reds are left to flourish, in fifty years time won't be just be complaining that the reds are vermin and wanting a cull on them?
Not a chance. It will take hundreds of years to get them back in any sort of numbers all over the UK.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >