View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 07:16 AM
My take is humans introduced them so there lies the blame.
Yes they breed vast and yes they are classed as vermin.

However I own up (hands up in the air) 1) I have a family here and I feed them, the dogs pay no attention now, Tess used to bark at them but thankfully she has stopped that, and two of them are quite tame.

2) I wouldn't feed road kill anything but thats just a personal choice nothing else
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
If humans introduced them, to the detriment of the red squirrel, then humans should be responsible for eradicating them.

Grey squirrels are vermin and I would have no problem with a nation wide cull. However, numbers are so immense that I think complete extermination is probably nigh on impossible. When I was a kid, I only ever saw them in the woods. It's only in recent years round these parts that they have moved into urban areas and now inhabit any tree, regardless of where it is situated. There is a small stream at the bottom of the street which I used to play in as a kid and never once saw a squirrel. Now when I cross that little culvert, the trees lining it are full of the bloody things.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 07:55 AM
As Carrie once famously said in Sex in the City

You can't make friends with a squirrel. Squirrels are just rats with cuter outfits.!
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
We have a large garden, the bottom half left as woodland with hundreds of year old trees and bluebells, etc. Among this are loads of (grey) squirrels. We NEVER see a red one.

I wouldn't want them eradicated. We throw them nuts and seeds etc into the long grass. In our 'living' garden where the seating area is, we feed the birds with squirrel proof feeders.

Although, what really annoys me is that the squirrels dig up my bulbs and young plants which I have just planted, but Hey, they are around and my bulbs grow lovely with a bit of chicken wire over the top of the pots until the squirrels get fed up of trying to get at them.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Survival of the fittest, they don't bother me at all so why should I bother them. Anyway they're cute
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Survival of the fittest, they don't bother me at all so why should I bother them. Anyway they're cute
I'm in that box too
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
If humans introduced them, to the detriment of the red squirrel, then humans should be responsible for eradicating them.

Grey squirrels are vermin and I would have no problem with a nation wide cull. However, numbers are so immense that I think complete extermination is probably nigh on impossible. When I was a kid, I only ever saw them in the woods. It's only in recent years round these parts that they have moved into urban areas and now inhabit any tree, regardless of where it is situated. There is a small stream at the bottom of the street which I used to play in as a kid and never once saw a squirrel. Now when I cross that little culvert, the trees lining it are full of the bloody things.
What she said.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Two less round here today........
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As Carrie once famously said in Sex in the City

You can't make friends with a squirrel. Squirrels are just rats with cuter outfits.!
Excuse me!! How much cuter do you get than this
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
In my view, greys are cute and entertaining but still vermin and extremely damaging to the ecosystem and UK forestry. Their environmental and economic impact is huge!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >