Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Same as everyone else has said really, think most of us who ride regularly have a wobble now and again.

I recently started riding my friends 4yr old 16.2h stallion He wasn't bomb proof by any means but the tenser I got the worse he behaved I found by riding in a long stirrup which gives you a straighter leg and really pushing my heels down helps me sit deeper in the saddle and stops me leaning forward so much, when he played up I tensed up and hunched forward more a survival instinct I think now with longer stirrups I tend to lean back more which helps calm him.
I'll have to try the longer stirrups. My RI seems to think I have a good seat, but do tend to lean forward, particularly when thinking about cantering lol. I did improve that last week though.

I also talk to him a lot, tell him all about my day etc in the same voice I use for training the dogs - light and cheery, dunno if he likes it but he seems more accepting of strange things
lol, I do witter to Minnie if I'm on her. She's a gorgeous fell pony with a bit of a cheeky streak!

While I'm concentrating on all that I forget to be scared if you like and I can cope better.
My RI does chat to me a lot, which does take my mind of being nervous sometimes.

Evidently you're body reacts to fear before your brain does, so if you keep your brain occupied by talking / singing or even reciting the alphabet backwards etc you forget to be scared and just deal with whatever the horse throws at you - So I've been told anyway
It's so frustrating when my body does react! I have got a lot better at coping with it and do tend to sing the alphabet song, although I was singing a bit of Maroon 5 this afternoon lol!

Helen
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh god I miss riding so much

Good luck helen, before I gave up a couple of years ago (due to my weight ) I had a very bad fall and damaged my knee. It took me about 2 months of riding every week to get me back to where I was.

I really hope it will all come back to me when I start again at the end of the year!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Have you tried working on your seat at walking and doing lots of sitting trot? Or had lessons on the lunge?
If you are 100% confident in your seat you will often find you don't become unseated, and things like spooks won't get you off, which then in turn improves your confidence.
We do lots of sitting trot, although didn't do as much walking today as my RI thought I was better if I was kept going. Last week, when she spooked, I didn't feel as though I was going to fall off, although I did when she shook lol.

[quote]Learning the one rein stop also helps I've found, it gives you the ability to stop in situations where a horse might bolt so gives you the 'control' factor.[/quote

What's that?

Have you tried doing 'fun' things in your lessons? I've taught a few people with confidence issues and I get them to do le trec exercises (opening gates, weaving through cones, rein back through poles, s bend) and it's amazing how the nerves fade when you have something else to concentrate on.
We do the cone things and we found out that I do settle doing the poles so doing more of those. You're right, when I have something to concentrate on, I'm fine.

Thanks all, I am actually feeling a bit more positive about it, after coming away, pretty disheartened about the whole thing. I really appreciate it. I might try and fit in another riding lesson next week, as well as the one booked on Friday.

Helen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Oh god I miss riding so much

Good luck helen, before I gave up a couple of years ago (due to my weight ) I had a very bad fall and damaged my knee. It took me about 2 months of riding every week to get me back to where I was.

I really hope it will all come back to me when I start again at the end of the year!
I do get nearly there, and then have a bad lesson every now and then, which is frustrating. It's like that when I'm training dogs, I think I am just too much of a perfectionist and like things to go well. At least it brings me back with a bump!

I'm sure you will be fine.

Helen
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 06:00 PM
assuming you don't have your own, do you feel overhorses when you are riding these horses? If the horses you are riding make you nervous ask to ride something else! Trying to force yourself through fear won't help.

Also can you work on stuff you are more confident doing, obviously for the sake on tendons i jump once/twice a week abso max, but im far more confident jumping than i am on the flat, because horsey enjoys it more and concentrates on that, he might buck and get strong, but he will never stop and it's nice riding a horse who is LOVING it. Whereas on the flat he gets bored and stuffy and a bit of a prat, and while he doesn't make me feel nervous, i don't feel overly confident, if that makes sense.

TBH i think if you don't have your own horse there is less consistency and it's harder to get things how you want them. Tell yourself that they wouldn't be in an RS unless they were safe and try and push on through as best you can but also accept your nerves and limits. I used to be VERY overhorsed, but accepted that i was, and sat down and decided on my capabilities, ie i don't care if it spooks, bucks or whatever, but i need horses that have brakes! and took it from there. When you have these maybe sit down and talk to your instructor and say what you feel you need.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks. I had a lesson on the horse that I rode when I really lost my confidence and it went well. My RI is very good in that she will push me when she feels I am up to and we sort of connected right from the beginning.

I don't have a horse to ride myself, just a 12h section a, with the plan of getting something for me to ride, once I had learnt the care of a horse. TBH, not sure I will even go down that route as I seem to be just enjoying the once a week riding lessons, but still enjoying looking after Dusty.

I felt a little more positive on Friday about it and do feel it is just a bit of a blip, which I have had before. I love it too much to give up when the going gets tough lol.

Thanks for the advice.

Helen
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Have you tried a lunge lesson? That way you can concentrate on your balance and position and someone else is controlling the horse.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
No, although my RI did say that she might try it. She didn't so imagine she thought I didn't need it. She said I am more than capable and I actually ride very well so that's one thing less to worry about lol

Helen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Oh been there too many times I care to remember, but that was because my horse was a big, spooky 16h2" tb who could put in such a dirty stop at a jump it was unreal!!

Anyhoo, the best advice I can give you about that canter is, ask your RI to put you on the lungeline in the school, with your stirrups crossed over the front of the saddle so you're hanging free so to speak, knot the reins too, and you ARE allowed to hold on to the saddle pommel for this one! This will give you a really, really DEEP SEAT, which is imperative for getting that canter right.

You will feel the backwards/forwards motion so much better like this, as opposed to the rising trot motion, and it will make you sit a lot deeper into the saddle and you'll stand a much better chance of staying put no matter if it's a collected canter or a faster one. I only actually sit for a collected canter, I like to get the weight off my horse (when I had him!) for any other type of canter or gallop.

See what your RI says about this, as I'm absolutely certain if you do this a few times, you will NEVER fall off again at a canter - trust me, I've ridden for donkey's years, I rode my horse for 4/5 hours most days of the week for 15 years too, that's a heck of a lot of riding hours! Sometimes I got buried!!!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
No, although my RI did say that she might try it. She didn't so imagine she thought I didn't need it. She said I am more than capable and I actually ride very well so that's one thing less to worry about lol

Helen
It doesn't mean you're not capable. It would just enable you to get really confident without stirrups, doing exercises like folding your arms, holding them out to the sides etc without having to think about controlling the horse. Once you have a deep, confident seat you will cope with the odd mishap much better.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >