Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-10-2011, 07:45 AM

Eats his bedding!!!

George my Turkish street dog now sleeps on the tiles in the porch. I have put out a basket with a nice fleece blanket & pillow but he just chews them all & sleeps on the floor. The weather is still 15 degrees on a night here so may be he is to warm but it will be cold soon & I don't like the idea of him being on the floor.
Any ideas ??
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by imbat View Post
George my Turkish street dog now sleeps on the tiles in the porch. I have put out a basket with a nice fleece blanket & pillow but he just chews them all & sleeps on the floor. The weather is still 15 degrees on a night here so may be he is to warm but it will be cold soon & I don't like the idea of him being on the floor.
Any ideas ??
You can buy a chew proof tuffie bed but im not sure if they will deliever to Turkey.

heres the link:

http://www.tuffies.co.uk/dog-beds.asp#chewproof

scoll down and you will see the chew proof beds. You may have to give them a call to check if they will be able to deliver to Turkey. They are very helpful.

HTH
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 08:13 AM
I`d get hold of a discarded blanket or towel and chuck that down. Then it doesn`t matter if it`s chewed.
And try providing rope toys etc. Most of his former life will have been spent in scavenging for food and running from threats so he won`t be used to having `leisure time`. How about a big marrow bone or chew?
Shamus my GSP was a stray / then in rescue and he would chew fabrics to start with. I think his only `toys` were his bedding and old rags he found.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2011, 08:28 AM
How about an old piece of carpet or an offcut from a carpet store?

Plastic bread trays make fairly indestructible beds as well, and you can put a piece of carpet it in for George.
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
You can buy a chew proof tuffie bed but im not sure if they will deliever to Turkey.

heres the link:

http://www.tuffies.co.uk/dog-beds.asp#chewproof

scoll down and you will see the chew proof beds. You may have to give them a call to check if they will be able to deliver to Turkey. They are very helpful.

HTH
Wow, that looks fantastic but unfortunately money is tight & delivery here would be a problem. I think the old piece of carpet sounds a good idea & I may give that a whirl. Today we have had torrential rain so just trying to keep him dry on the floor is the main problem. Without all the help on this site I would really be struggling.
Thanks everybody
Lea-n-Ben
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2011, 09:37 AM
ben has only ever had 2 blankets which he has both chewed he now just sleeps in his crate on the cold plastic flooring and loves it and we dont give him any more blankets as all he does is chews
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Sounds like it boils down to personal preference. As long as it is not bad for him I may leave him on the floor
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
He sounds happy with the floor to me. My dog max, now just has a couple of old towels to lay on. He has chewed up every bed/blanket/duvet we have given him.
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by taniamiff View Post
He sounds happy with the floor to me. My dog max, now just has a couple of old towels to lay on. He has chewed up every bed/blanket/duvet we have given him.
Yep, think George is the same. Any material & he just wants to attack it. He actually peed on the floor last night for the first time. Not sure why as his routine was the same but may be he hadn't gone before I called him in. Hoping he doesn't make it a habit but if he was on a nice blanket it would have been a lot worse.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2011, 04:17 PM
You need to get a chew proof bed if you want to break him from the habit.