Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
My dad has just finished the run on my little bunnies hutch, our designing basically goes:

Me: I want it to have x, y and z.
Dad: You can't have x, y wouldn't work because of ...... and you can have z if we get this......

Bunny homes can nearly always be improved, do you know anyone that is good at DIY and can be bribed?!
I forgot this thread was about cats sorry
I do but they are either in the army, too old and take their time or want a lot of money for it.. I've got one of Bambi's children at mine now.. he has a 6x4 with a hutch above (Sock's he is) I'll probably sort them all out when I can afford too..

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Thing is if you get a cat you need to be able to accept it as the animal and character it is, just like other pets.

I have had one that lived to 16 as an outdoor cat, then lived his last three years as an indoor cat. A true cat through and through, he was very, VERY street savvy, and he didnt want to sit on you every night but when he did you (I) felt completely privaledged

I have another who has always been a house cat and is of a much more socially dependable breed (Siamese) He loves nothing more than to be petted, spoken to, cuddle on your lap, be carried around, he also does clicker training at home, showed me that cats love fetch at 3 months old, makes games for himself by putting bits of paper in shoes etc etc He has sneaked out a couple of times in the past and showed that he had NO 'street savvy' WHATSOEVER. He remains a house cat.

The other two were living wild in a barn before I got them as kittens. Long story short; after a lot of time I have one lazy but beautiful cat that loves her cuddles, sleep and food and her littermate, thinks life is for being up high, eating spiders or having a bit of fun playing with toys.

I love them all for all their unique qualities.
But dogs are still better I don't know - I have one dog who hates being cuddled and I find it really hard to get on with him, one who only likes it on her terms - but I'm fine with that and then Louie - oh jeez he looooves his attention.. I think I have a good mix, but a cat is like (dare I be sexist?) a woman (and many men these days - evened it out ) fine one moment then hates you the next.. well that's been my findings from relatives cats anyway.

But then I had an Aunt who thought the world of cats but didn't mind dogs either (she left 10K to her two cats when she passed this year )

I don't know I suppose I'll have to find out more, spend some more time in the company of cats and decide from there..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I do but they are either in the army, too old and take their time or want a lot of money for it.. I've got one of Bambi's children at mine now.. he has a 6x4 with a hutch above (Sock's he is) I'll probably sort them all out when I can afford too..

But dogs are still better I don't know - I have one dog who hates being cuddled and I find it really hard to get on with him, one who only likes it on her terms - but I'm fine with that and then Louie - oh jeez he looooves his attention.. I think I have a good mix, but a cat is like (dare I be sexist?) a woman (and many men these days - evened it out ) fine one moment then hates you the next.. well that's been my findings from relatives cats anyway.

But then I had an Aunt who thought the world of cats but didn't mind dogs either (she left 10K to her two cats when she passed this year )

I don't know I suppose I'll have to find out more, spend some more time in the company of cats and decide from there..
See, personally, I see my pets as living, breathing, feeling empathic beings. I do not find it hard to get on with a dog or a cat that does not feel the need to be 'needy' and has no need to constantly fall at my feet because I feel like a cuddle.

The best way IMHO to get on with an animal that wants its space is to respect that animal for what it is. Who says you need to cuddle, pet, fuss etc over a dog and them like it to bond? Why is it hard to get on? If you would like him to be something he is not, then of course he cannot fulfil your wishes!

I think it pays well to look for what the animal sees as rewarding and forgo what it is that we find rewarding in the short term. That's when (IMHO) they really do become rewarding because you get to see the true being in all its glory, maybe even find they like you more than you thought and repay the favour

I have never, ever, really thought that any my cats 'liked me one minute and hated me the next'. Sometimes its our own behaviour that needs 'checked'. Sometimes I have a bad day and I can't be bothered listening to someone. Who says they cant feel like that? Sometimes I don't like people touching me, some dogs are very sensitive to touch and dont like it. Then again some people love to air kiss and hug and some dogs like attention from anyone too. Some cats like to sit on you for warmth and bring you a present now and again, it certainly does not (should not) mean that they should want to be picked up and plonked on your lap whenever you want and so by default like it just because you do!

Just saying

I think that if you wanted a very sociable, dependant breed of cat then you would need to look into those breeds and be very careful in choosing a breeder, and be aware that they often need as much attention as a dog, sometimes more, yet there is always an exception to the rule! Hence my comments above.

Compared to dogs; cats really do rule their kingdom, dogs are needy wimps!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Compared to dogs; cats really do rule their kingdom, dogs are needy wimps!
I love it - person with humour

Its true though, even our kitten is very much her own wee personality. They say torties have "catattitide" & i can see it coming thru now Yet she is the one who
Will sit on your knee / the other two wont! Amber is very independent. Tim cuddles up at the end of the bed at night
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Cat's are superior creatures they really are, I have always admired and respected my feline friends. It's their sheer independence and the fact they CHOOSE to stay with us, they CHOOSE to love us..they don't have too (which is why one of my remaining two dissapears on days on end with a mix of hunting and visiting a little old lady who gives him cooked ham *I know this as have followed the swine* but I'm happy as long as he is.
My old tortie girl who I lost last week was fiercly feline, she liked her own way, she was very free willed, and tend to have maximum attitude yet within the blink of an eye would be curled round my neck have cuddles, though she thought she was a dog.
And my remaing fulltime ginger boy Maxwell, is the cat version of a gangster...he struts around our cul-de-sac beating up other cats and being all big and bad, and goes off over the fields hunting and being a "real cat", yet comes in and loves nothing more than cuddles and belly tickles, and cuddling up amongst the dogs (he also actively seeks the dogs out to play with them, but he and my longhaired lodger boy were both born here maybe that's why).
I love cats, but they aren't for everyone. If their slight wildness can't be respected than I'd say they aren't that persons cup of tea, purely as a cat will do what a cat chooses to do and no amount of human concepts of ownership and being incharge will sway that, which is why I love them...the whole headstrong thing, reminds me a bit of myself
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I do like cats and had one when we were growing up. But now with a large pack of dogs and living on a grouse moor I can't see I will ever own a feline again. Thankfully, I do prefer dogs anyway
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9