Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You think YOU are right, so why do they have By Laws as well as the Fouling of Dogs Act 1996 then??? Why do they have dog bins at every car park across the South Downs where we enjoy walking our dogs then???

QUOTE:"Bye laws
Dogs (Fouling of Land)

Each day dogs produce vast amounts of excrement. Much of this is left on footpaths and playing fields and at best can cover shoes and clothes and at worst can lead to blindness due to an infection called 'Toxocara canis'.

Council's can now designate land under The Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996. The designated land includes roads, footpaths, school playing fields, sports fields and parks.

It is an offense for a dog owner not to clean up after their dog in these areas. Failure to comply can result in a prosecution and fine up to £1,000. It is no defense to claim ignorance of the dog's actions.

Dogs (Fouling of Land) Order 2002
The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Council (in this Order called 'the council') hereby make the following Order:

1.The land described in the schedule below being land in the area of the council which is land to which the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996 applies, is hereby designated for the purposes of that Act
2.This Order may be cited as The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (Fouling of Land) Order 2002 and shall come into force on the 7 February 2002
Solutions
•If you have a garden encourage the dog to 'go' there. You can then bury the mess or alternatively clean it up and bin it
•If you walk your dog always carry the means to clear up after your dog. A simple plastic bag will do the trick or obtain poop scoops from a local pet shop. Remember to take a bag or poop scoop like you would remember a lead
•Every time your dog fouls 'bag it and bin it'. Take the poop scoop home and dispose of it there. Remember rain does not wash the problem away
•Never let your dog out alone to 'go to the loo'
It is every dog owners duty to clean up after their dog.

There are no excuses, fouling is unacceptable!

Contact with canine excrement can lead to blindness due to an infection called 'Toxocara canis'.

Schedule
and designated by description
•All carriageways with a speed limit of 40mph or less, including adjoining footways (pavements), footpaths, road gutters, cycle paths or lanes, and verges, both grass and ornamental
•All parks, open spaces, picnic sites, country parks, nature reserves, pleasure grounds, gardens, recreation and sports grounds open to the public
•All amenity areas, whether planted, grassed, paved or concreted including all housing estates
•All cemeteries, churchyards and consecrated ground
•All children's play parks
•All shopping precincts and pedestrianised areas
•All car parks and public vehicle parking areas
•All land and paths associated with allotments
All footpaths, bridleways and rights of way•All alleys, public walks, passageways and rights of way that are not in private ownership" UNQUOTE

Maybe you don't walk on rights of way then???

If you look on Pubmed you will see that dogs harbour salmonella along with other nasties too, and you can't get more legit than Pubmed coz that's where my vet shows me stuff! Yes, I read too!

We will never agree on this, I think it's vile to leave it lying around anywhere where other people/dogs walk, and I'm in the majority here, not to mention the fact it's illegal to do so on PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY which you should be on as well as me when out walking your dogs, unless you live on a farm perhaps???

I'm bored with this now, it's a pet hate of mine, it's obviously not one of yours, you will continue to let your dogs foul where other people and children walk, coz you're just too darn lazy to bag it and bin it or take it home, end of!
Oh dear, did you not read my first post in this thread? please do not accuse me of being lazy and letting my dogs foul everywhere, when I do nothing of the sort.

As I said all along, I don't care if people leave dog poo well off the beaten track. If no one is ever going to tread in it, it isn't an issue. The "dog poo contains all these nasty parasites that could make you blind and kill you" argument doesn't wash with me because all types of animal sh*t carries some of what you describe. And last time I checked you can't control where cats, foxes and other carnivorous animals (all of which probably carry salmonella & other delights) take a dump.

Perhaps if you walk on the South Downs regularly this is why you feel so strongly about it. I never walk on the top of the Downs because it is full of sh*t everywhere, has horses/sheep/fairweather walkers/joggers/bikers...none of which makes for a fun walk with dogs like mine. The 'non Downs' walks around here are much nicer and are significantly less sh*t ridden.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:10 PM
lol id rather bhave my dog tread in dog ****e than foxes!!
and yes i know someone with a 4x4 who wont let it get dirty and she has horses!! they are a work horse not some shiney oh look at me car!
and we had townies coming into th village complaining of chickens waking them up and what to do again was told to move!
and my 4 love nothing but rolling in cowpats but again i choose to live here and the cows are entitled to roam the forest so its tough luck on me i just take a towel and some water before they get in my car
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh dear, did you not read my first post in this thread? please do not accuse me of being lazy and letting my dogs foul everywhere, when I do nothing of the sort.

As I said all along, I don't care if people leave dog poo well off the beaten track. If no one is ever going to tread in it, it isn't an issue. The "dog poo contains all these nasty parasites that could make you blind and kill you" argument doesn't wash with me because all types of animal sh*t carries some of what you describe. And last time I checked you can't control where cats, foxes and other carnivorous animals (all of which probably carry salmonella & other delights) take a dump.

Perhaps if you walk on the South Downs regularly this is why you feel so strongly about it. I never walk on the top of the Downs because it is full of sh*t everywhere, has horses/sheep/fairweather walkers/joggers/bikers...none of which makes for a fun walk with dogs like mine. The 'non Downs' walks around here are much nicer and are significantly less sh*t ridden.
It's actually being encouraged in many countryside areas NOT to bag it up as all that plastic is very bad for the environment, I can think of several areas round here where no bins are provided and people are asked to "flick with a stick" ie flick it off the path so people don't tread in it.

If I'm out in the countryside I'm not going to bag up poo and carry it for 10 miles, it's perfecty acceptable to flick it out of the way and let nature do it's job IMO.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's actually being encouraged in many countryside areas NOT to bag it up as all that plastic is very bad for the environment, I can think of several areas round here where no bins are provided and people are asked to "flick with a stick" ie flick it off the path so people don't tread in it.

If I'm out in the countryside I'm not going to bag up poo and carry it for 10 miles, it's perfecty acceptable to flick it out of the way and let nature do it's job IMO.
Thank you, exactly.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

This is true-there was an article in one of the dog magazines about it but I can't remember which park or forest was saying this now.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
lol id rather bhave my dog tread in dog ****e than foxes!!
and yes i know someone with a 4x4 who wont let it get dirty and she has horses!! they are a work horse not some shiney oh look at me car!
and we had townies coming into th village complaining of chickens waking them up and what to do again was told to move!
and my 4 love nothing but rolling in cowpats but again i choose to live here and the cows are entitled to roam the forest so its tough luck on me i just take a towel and some water before they get in my car
What!! You have COWS IN your car!!??

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Probably in my top 5 Pet hate!!!

Don't buy a 4x4 if your not prepared to get some dirt on it, so move the **** over! Makes me SO angry!!!! I only have a Lupo (a tab bigger than a Mirca, but smaller than a pug 206), I am NOT going down a ditch when you are driving a brand new landrover disco, or range rover or a flippin' porsch cayenne down the country lane! My bite has been know to be worse than my bark

Rant over.
Lol!! Mine too!! I am not called Gnasher for nothing!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
A particular farm i shoot over gets complaints about his bird scarers going off during the day from nearby residents and it will get worse because they're building a load more houses which border right on the land!

A lot of town/city people have no concept of rural life and often it isnt ignorance,but just being plain thick.Im sure they think the countryside is deathly quiet which is far from the truth.The ones which do annoy me are those who dont take notice of signs and wander into cattle fields with their dogs off lead.
ah - bird scarers!! Another pet hate of mine, if located on or next door to a bridleway!! I had a 17hh dutch warmblood who was terrified of guns, and those dang crow scarers just the other side of the hedge on the bridleway would get us every time
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
ah - bird scarers!! Another pet hate of mine, if located on or next door to a bridleway!! I had a 17hh dutch warmblood who was terrified of guns, and those dang crow scarers just the other side of the hedge on the bridleway would get us every time
Problem is farmers need to protect their investment and gas guns are the most effective way of keeping birds moving.One farm few years back had his stolen (they're powered by small propane gas cylinders so pikies home in on them) and within a week pigeons had stripped a 10 acre field of oilseed rape.The knock on effect is that when crops are reduced,prices rise and the final product costs the shopper more.Oilseed rape at this time of year is no1 on pigeons menu.

Im amazed a farmer put one so close to where the public have access alongside a bridleway.Most farmers i know stick them either in middle of field or on farthest side so it would take a lot of effort to get access to.I do appreciate how loud they are though and am waiting for that day when walking past one for it to go off and loose control of my bowels!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I dont clear up in the countryside if it's off the paths (Jed is very good at going somewhere totally out the way to do his business). If it's on the path I just kick it out of the way.

As far as i'm aware, you dont have to clear up dog poo if there are no bye laws covering that area and it's not on a public footpath.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >