View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-01-2011, 10:25 AM
guilty of leaving the bag on the ground.
If I'm doing an out and back I leave it where I will remember and pick it up on the way back.
I have on occasions pocketed the bag and forgotten I have it when I haven't seen any bins.
Walked all around a Lake district village complaining of its drains cos I had a bag in my coat pocket under my nose.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I live in the middle of the countryside too, I've picked up my fair share of horse poo having owned horses for donkey's year, and stepped in a few cow pats, BUT, that's not offensive to me coz they don't eat meat!!! It's a different ball game with the nasty bacteria found in dog sh*t, which could kill my dog, stink my car out, make a kid blind, or make me sick if I happen to get some on MY hands by picking up my dog's ball!!!! GRRRRR pick it UP!!!!!!! I'd like to eradicate parvo too, which would be sooooooo easy if EVERYBODY picked up their dog sh*t!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I've trained my dogs to poop in the hedge, but sometimes they slip up, then I flick it with a stick, or if we are somewhere where I can rinse my boots, then I kick it into the hedge. I don't pick up at all, even on the beach, because I consider the pollution caused by the plastic poo bags to be worse than the contents, so if below the tide line, I bury it in the sand.

Biking along the canals, I just flick it into the canal with a handy stick. Being raw fed, their poos are nice and small, dry and very flickable!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by kobi View Post
guilty of leaving the bag on the ground.
If I'm doing an out and back I leave it where I will remember and pick it up on the way back.
I have on occasions pocketed the bag and forgotten I have it when I haven't seen any bins.
Walked all around a Lake district village complaining of its drains cos I had a bag in my coat pocket under my nose.
I hate to see poo bags left on the ground/hanging in trees/on bushes etc. Fair enough if you always remember to collect it on your way back, but definitely not alright if it is left there for any length of time. Far better to flick dog poo to the side of the path out of the way or into a bush etc with a stick or the side of your boot. At least poo biodegrades unlike plastic poo bags.

I live in a remote part of the countryside and so don't often need to pick up poo on walks, but if my dogs do happen to go on a track or footpath then I always kick it off to the side or into bushes etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Poo in the countryside? Heaven forbid, better tell the cows and the sheep where they can or can't poo, or even better fit them with nappies! I was watching an "Escape To The Country" this aft and the guy complained cos the house they were viewing was next to a farm!!! No way, a house in the country next to a farm, bloody unbelievable!

In all honesty I find town folk far worse than country folk for not picking up after their dogs. Round here the paths and fields are littered with the stuff. I tended to find in small country communities people picked up partly because more often than not they'd be named and shamed by whoever caught them leaving it!
how ridiculous! Seriously?!!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I live in the middle of the countryside too, I've picked up my fair share of horse poo having owned horses for donkey's year, and stepped in a few cow pats, BUT, that's not offensive to me coz they don't eat meat!!! It's a different ball game with the nasty bacteria found in dog sh*t, which could kill my dog, stink my car out, make a kid blind, or make me sick if I happen to get some on MY hands by picking up my dog's ball!!!! GRRRRR pick it UP!!!!!!! I'd like to eradicate parvo too, which would be sooooooo easy if EVERYBODY picked up their dog sh*t!
How could dog poo kill your dog? mine eat other dogs sh*t all the time and are still alive.

I have to say it doesn't bother me people leaving it in rural fields/woods much at all. If I'm walking off the beaten track, I expect to get muddy, maybe tread in sh*t & for my dogs to roll in sh*t. If I'm in a public park, at the beach or indeed walking in residentual areas, that is a totally different kettle of fish. Dog poo should be picked up 100% of the time in those places. Luckily with all the busybodies and curtain twitching old folk, most people do seem to pick up 95% of the time in those areas around here.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How could dog poo kill your dog? mine eat other dogs sh*t all the time and are still alive.I have to say it doesn't bother me people leaving it in rural fields/woods much at all. If I'm walking off the beaten track, I expect to get muddy, maybe tread in sh*t & for my dogs to roll in sh*t. If I'm in a public park, at the beach or indeed walking in residentual areas, that is a totally different kettle of fish. Dog poo should be picked up 100% of the time in those places. Luckily with all the busybodies and curtain twitching old folk, most people do seem to pick up 95% of the time in those areas around here.
Because that's how dogs get parvo, worms, and any other bacteria the shi**ing dog has got or is carrying!!!!

QUOTE "Canine parvovirus is carried by dogs, many of whom show no symptoms themselves. The virus is also shed in the diarrhea of infected dogs and can subsequently survive in the ground and the outside environment for a very long time - even several months."unqote

Surely, everybody knows how parvo virus is contracted??????? If people didn't leave sh*t around, we wouldn't have the bladdy disease! And YES parvo can and does kill even a vaccinated dog like mine!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Yup! we lived in a small village for about two years n no one picked up after their dogs (except me, apparently, was told this by someone in village). It was pretty disgusting and often saw folk walking past trying to scrape dog s**t off their shoes.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Because that's how dogs get parvo, worms, and any other bacteria the shi**ing dog has got or is carrying!!!!

QUOTE "Canine parvovirus is carried by dogs, many of whom show no symptoms themselves. The virus is also shed in the diarrhea of infected dogs and can subsequently survive in the ground and the outside environment for a very long time - even several months."unqote

Surely, everybody knows how parvo virus is contracted??????? If people didn't leave sh*t around, we wouldn't have the bladdy disease! And YES parvo can and does kill even a vaccinated dog like mine!
Parvo is very rare in adult dogs to the best of my knowledge.

Worrying about bacteria is a human issue, not a dog one. My dogs eat sh*t of various assortments, rotting things, dead things, all the time...all bacteria and germ ridden...they are dogs!

As for worms, a dog could pick up worms through eating any type of faeces.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Parvo is very rare in adult dogs to the best of my knowledge. Worrying about bacteria is a human issue, not a dog one. My dogs eat sh*t of various assortments, rotting things, dead things, all the time...all bacteria and germ ridden...they are dogs!

As for worms, a dog could pick up worms through eating any type of faeces.
That's contrary to the words that came out of my vet's mouth last year when she said "parvo is pretty rife in this area", and that is why I worry!

Worrying about bacteria is NOT just a human issue, dogs can contract e-coli, salmonella, campylobacta and just about everything else that's rife with bacteria and it makes them very sick indeed, you've been lucky, just be thankful!
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »