Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:20 PM

DOG POO IN THE COUNTRYSIDE! Rant!!

Is it just me being a grumpy woman? I am so fed up with people walking their dogs in the countryside around our village and allowing their dogs to poo in the middle of the footpaths. If they're not going to pick up after their dogs, why can't they kick the offending pile into the scrub out of the way of my own dogs paws and my kids wellied feet ??!! In the town, generally dog owners/walkers are much better at picking up and disposing of the poo sometimes because there are people watching them !!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:43 PM
This gets my back up too, there are no bins in the countryside so I really wouldn't always expect people to bag it up (when they do they seem to just hang it on the trees over looking the river) but people could at least twig and flick it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm sooooooo pee'd off about this too!!! I notice some people do and some people don't, but why should my dog's ball have to land in somebody's else's dog's sh*t just because the owner thinks it's ok because he's out in the countryside!!! I'm constantly on the lookout for it when I'm walking coz even on the big, wide tracks with short grass, the lazy blighters just leave it I find the dogwalkers the worst culprits around here coz I've watched them, but they've always been too far away for me to gob off at them which I would if given the chance!

No, it's not just you! I found the best thing is to walk early, be the first there and most of it's been eaten overnight, whereas on a later walk mid-morning, Jesus, it's all over the place!!!

Yes, you have to carry it around with you on a walk, but that's no big deal when you're a responsible dog owner is it!!!! I've had it on my mind now for so long, that one day, when I spot somebody who I've seen getting out of a car in the car-park (fully equipped with dog bins all around), if they leave their sh*t on my walk, I'm going to collect it up and smear it all over their bladdy door handles, windscreen and if the car's open, well, there's no stopping me quite honestly!!!!! I will one day too, you just see if I don't!!!!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:52 PM
This makes me cross too, I must admit though when we first took Rolo for a walk I used to pick up his poo even in the long grass off of the footpaths out in the middle of the fields, but so many people said to me 'oh blimey why are you bothering there, only bother on the footpaths', that when i started to look more it did seem they only picked it up on the foot path. I personally would like to see poo in all but the most extreme of places picked up, because if my dog walks there then so will other people and their children and dogs! So why should they tread in it!

I also get cross that some people go to the trouble of bagging it up, but then leave the bag on the floor, that is as bad if not worse cos least the poo in all the rain will wash away and rot in, the bag just sits there, cos most are not biodegradable!

If I am unable to find a bin to leave the bag in I put it in the back of the car and take it home, surely if you are holding a dog lead you can hold a poo bag too.

I will admit to having had the odd poo that despite my best efforts to find the ground seems to have swallowed up!
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm sooooooo pee'd off about this too!!! I notice some people do and some people don't, but why should my dog's ball have to land in somebody's else's dog's sh*t just because the owner thinks it's ok because he's out in the countryside!!! I'm constantly on the lookout for it when I'm walking coz even on the big, wide tracks with short grass, the lazy blighters just leave it I find the dogwalkers the worst culprits around here coz I've watched them, but they've always been too far away for me to gob off at them which I would if given the chance!

No, it's not just you! I found the best thing is to walk early, be the first there and most of it's been eaten overnight, whereas on a later walk mid-morning, Jesus, it's all over the place!!!

Yes, you have to carry it around with you on a walk, but that's no big deal when you're a responsible dog owner is it!!!! I've had it on my mind now for so long, that one day, when I spot somebody who I've seen getting out of a car in the car-park (fully equipped with dog bins all around), if they leave their sh*t on my walk, I'm going to collect it up and smear it all over their bladdy door handles, windscreen and if the car's open, well, there's no stopping me quite honestly!!!!! I will one day too, you just see if I don't!!!!
Oh H i've never "heard" you so mad!! Im sooo glad i pick up from mine

It is very annoying, i tend to have the kids with me while walking and guaranteed EVERYDAY one of them will tread in something!
The most annoying thing is the last walk in the evening where i cant see where i'm walking on the field, all of a sudden you feel the familiar squelch and know you've trood in the bloody stuff
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
Oh H i've never "heard" you so mad!! Im sooo glad i pick up from mine

It is very annoying, i tend to have the kids with me while walking and guaranteed EVERYDAY one of them will tread in something!
The most annoying thing is the last walk in the evening where i cant see where i'm walking on the field, all of a sudden you feel the familiar squelch and know you've trood in the bloody stuff
The thing for me is, not only the kids running around which is bad enough, but I have to watch where I CAN throw Zena's ball, so that it's highly unlikely it'll land in the stuff, coz one morning it did, she was reluctant to pick it up, I didn't realise, so I called her, she picked it up and started vomiting violently, then collapsed, and passed out on me, and THAT is why I get so bladdy mad at these people making my poor puppy as ill as she was!!! Apart from that, if only people realised we would NOT have parvo if it wasn't for lazy b*stards leaving their dog's **** around for our dogs to pick it up on their paws, come home and lick them clean and end up with parvo Another reason why I always hose my dog's feet when we get back, not for the mud, bud for all the sh*t they might have walked in!

Today, when we got back from our walk, I noticed sh*t on the tiles in the bootroom, now where did that come from then??? Hubby had trodden in some He blamed the dogs of course Oh lordy, I'm off on one tonight, better calm down before I go to bed or I won't sleep!!!!
Bengee
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Before I got my dog (Harley) we purchased a poop scoop with a trigger and I made it my job to be main picker upper, my wife feeds grooms and looks after us both so, this is my contribution to the up keep and welfare of our new friend.
Oh and I pay all vet bills, and now enjoy walking playing with Harley.
I also cannot get over how friendly other people with there doggy's are to us both.
As for people that do not pick up after there dog, I think I do understand why as I was a bit shy at the start and it did turn my stomach some times but what the heck, a man's got to do what a man's got to do, pick up poo.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Parker stepped on some poo yesterday and he looked really funny shaking his front leg in the air! He is quite fastidious.

Jamie stood in some poop the other week when we went to John Lewis in the city centre. It was a freshly done poo and I realised I had probably seen the culprit as there was an older lady with a JRT that was in the same place for ages whilst I was parking the car. In my innocence I just assumed it was having a good sniff round the parking meter!

Good job I didn't arrive a few minutes earlier......

When we were on holiday in the Cotswolds we rented a barn conversion on a farm for the week and took Cherry and Parker. I walked them along the grassy verges in the morning inbetween the road and the fields and was busy clearing up after one of them had been and was accosted by a plummy toned voice hailing me from a Landrover saying "You don't have to clear up after your dog in the countryside! It's a nice idea but you don't need to"!

Oh well-better that than being shouted at for NOT clearing up I guess!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:30 PM
It annoys me too - you can be having a lovely walk in the countryside - look up and squelch - a big pile you can only imagine the size of the dog! It's even worse with the mud - it just mushes up into one!

I try with runs but it is difficult, But thankfully - I have 3 dogs that go in the bushes or near to the bushes so only explorers get it. Does that make me one of those people you're talking about? I do pick up though.

I stood in horse poo today on the Cannock Chase walk - just to throw that in there, like I said - might make me grow!

Bengee - I can do dog poo and sick, babies and people I can't (I hope thats the puking one) you get used to it. And Warm poo is better than cold poo - too me anyway.

They ought to put some bins around in the countryside though - I hate seeing poo hanging from trees - it's not decorative and doesn't smell nice!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I must admit some of the places Toby poos I don't go get it. He prides himself on doing it on steep slopes, in the middle of bogs, halfway though a bush etc! However, if its anywhere that is easily accessable (on the path or off) I do pick it up and I carry it for as long as neccessary. I have a clip hanging off my camera bag which I often have two or three bags on! It doesn't smell good but I can't understand people who bag it and then leave it! We also carry an airtight pot in the car in case there are no bins
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »