Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 02:12 PM
How about a nice heavy cob?
Not so large to be scary or too much too handle but can carry a lot of weight so that anyone could ride it.
Either that or i would go for a ID if you are new to horses...tho i know you have an excellent place for a horse judging by photos of where you live!

Although shires and clydes can be "gentle giants" ...they are not always so!!!

Good luck x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I have a friesian, not sure if you'd class her as a heavy horse, she's not as big as a shire, but is classed as a draft in this country!

She is a very easy keeper, lives out 24/7 and i just feed her with sugar beet and barley to keep the weight on her.

Friesians can also be prone to mud fever, though my mare has not had it.

Heavy horses are often ideal for new riders if you'd not intimidated by their size. They are, on the whole, a lot less "hot" than most warmbloods so easier to manage on the ground, and ridden.

I believe Clydies are pretty expensive to buy, there are loads of crosses for sale at the moment!
Thanks for that info Jessica. Do you have pics of your mare? I would love to see her.

Also, where is the best place to look at buying a heavy horse?

How much do the different breeds usually go for? I would be looking at a teenage horse I would think, that has had plenty of handling and is reliable and steady.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 02:18 PM
There is a clydesdale rescue i think if you want to go down that route not sure where they are tho.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Horse & Hound is always a good place to look for any horses. Im sure there are websites just for heavy horses too. The best thing if you settle a specific breed, is to contact a breed club as they will be able to give you information of where and how to go about buying a safe, sensible horse from a reliable breeder/owner. I know the UK friesian society have quarterly newsletters where people advertise horses for sale also..

Here's some pictures of my mare. She's only a youngster in these, but i've added some pics of her parents at the bottom to give you some idea what they look like fully grown:

Her mum:

and her dad who is, in my opinion, the perfect friesian!

With regards to prices for a friesian. My mare cost me £3400 as a yearling. She has outstanding breeding though so you can get them a lot cheaper, but you do have to be careful about lines. For a fully registered, ride & drive horse you'd be looking anywhere between £3000 and £8000 depending on the level of schooling. I always think its best to save a bit longer and get a really good quality horse though, they're such a big commitment.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Gorgeous !!!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am interested in looking into buying a heavy horse - Clydesdale, Shire or Irish Draught type.

Does anyone have a heavy horse? If so, how easy are they to care for? Expensive? What are they like to ride? etc etc. Oh and photos too please
Did anyone see "Country file " last night.

A tracking centre which use only Clydesdale and Shires.
boy did they go for it on the beach...as frisky as any other type.

What you have to remember is the cost of shoeing for something as big a a Shire.

Not sure how it works around the country, but some Farriers will charge more the bigger the shoe..and huge horses have huge feet.

We have a Draught X , but he is out living with friends now, as my daughter does not compete any more.

I love ID , but they can be stubborn so and so`s

Here is is pic of him.. he is of "King of Diamonds " lines, but will let you guess the other?????

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Did anyone see "Country file " last night.

A tracking centre which use only Clydesdale and Shires.
boy did they go for it on the beach...as frisky as any other type.

What you have to remember is the cost of shoeing for something as big a a Shire.

Not sure how it works around the country, but some Farriers will charge more the bigger the shoe..and huge horses have huge feet.

We have a Draught X , but he is out living with friends now, as my daughter does not compete any more.

I love ID , but they can be stubborn so and so`s

Here is is pic of him.. he is of "King of Diamonds " lines, but will let you guess the other?????

hes lovely, he looks very much the size and shape of monty? Montys 17.2hh, far to big for me, but as hes so well behaved I never have any problems with him, Monty can pop a fair sized jump as well,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
hes lovely, he looks very much the size and shape of monty? Montys 17.2hh, far to big for me, but as hes so well behaved I never have any problems with him, Monty can pop a fair sized jump as well,
Lance is 16" 3
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Lance is 16" 3
he looks bigger, or is your daughter just a tiny person like me lol when I have a saddle on monty my legs only come just over half way down his side as well...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-04-2009, 05:37 PM
She is about 5"5

he is very deep chested, ans was rather big there as he was in the middle of the showing season.

Plus Vic rides short
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >