View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tanland
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Is my puppy safe to jump down steps or will this damage his limbs?

Hello all,

We brought home an 8 week springador puppy (accidental litter!) at the weekend; he seems to be growing in size and confidence every day and he's just started to leap out of the back door when I go to let him into the garden- i usually lift him down the step (which is higher than him) as he initially wasn't willing to go on his own and I was worried that it might damage his growing limbs- do you think I should let him do this or is it best to help him down until he's a bit bigger?

Cheers,

Tan
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 08:07 AM
That's quite a large leap. Can you put something that's half the height so he has two steps to go down?
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi Tania I personally wouldn't let your dog jump down the steps until he is grown, you could damage the growth plates in his legs. He also comes from a breed predisposed to hip problems, even more reason to take care.

I have steps onto my lawn and a big drop outside the door so, so bought small slabs and bricks from the builders yard and made tiny shallow steps and I built a wooded ramp onto the lawn
tanland
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks , I thought as much. He's only done it a couple of times, when he's shot out before I can stop him, but as he's getting so confident with his surroundings I think will try and make some steps as you suggested Minihaha