Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Itchiness!

Okay, for a wee while now, don't know how long exactly, Molly has been rubbing her face with her paw, rubbing it along the couch and on the grass etc. She does it a few times a day that I'm aware of.

There's no obvious irritation that I can see, but she's rubbing the pigmentation away and it's driving me nuts.

I'm obviously very aware that Westies are notorious for skin complaints to the fact that I'm paranoid about it!

She's fed more or less the same as always, though as from today the bananas are being cut out to see if that helps.

I'm wondering about having allergy tests done on her by the vet. Would this just be the case of an exlcusion diet or can they actually tell if she's allergic to something in particular just by doing the tests?

Thanks.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Normally they like to progress systematically through a range of things (including exclusion diets) before embarking on allergy testing. And normally they won't allergy test until the dog is a couple of years old.

However, in the case of my dog they broke all the 'rules' and I'm very glad they did!

Our dog started rubbing her ears and face and then scratching a bit at several months old. We had blood tests done at perhaps 10 or 11 months old. So very soon after first spotting the symptoms. Many vets would throw up their hands in horror at this approach.

Blood tests came back showing low level allergy to about 10 pollens and grasses. We started her on immunotherapy immediately. The vets (and our) hunch proved correct. The itching stopped as the season for these pollens and grasses ended. She's still getting the immunotherapy and with any luck the itching won't start up again in february when the season starts.

As we've got in VERY early I'm hoping our dog won't follow the normal pattern of getting worse each year.

Blood tests cost about £200 in total and perhaps £100 for the immunotherapy. Immunotherapy typically continues indefinately so there will be perhaps a couple of batches needed a year. But we're insured. But I'd have happily paid for it myself.

As our little girls itching was mild our rule was to try the least harmfull/least restrictive testing first. An exclusion diet isn't fun for a dog as you need to make sure they can't eat anything on walks. A blood test on the other hand is trivial - 2 minutes in the vets and thats it. So for me it was a no brainer to do the blood testing first. In our case it proved to be accurate. But I think the risk is that the blood test comes back positive and you pin everything on that when in reality you're also dealing with a food allergy.

I personally would avoid scratch tests. These can be uncomfortable and cause itching to flare up. However, I think they are more accurate than blood tests.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I cant help much cos my vet basically told me it really wasnt worth all the hassle to do all the tests when at the end of the day more often than not they show up nothing

She suggested I tried antihistamines (1/2 tab piriton 2x per day) didnt help, but it is slightly better in the winter

Good luck, I hope you find out what it is
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks very much to you both.

It's nothing serious, I just don't want it to become serious so I'm trying to get on top of it now!

I might try the antihistamine route just now, to see if that makes any difference. I would imagine that if it was a seasonal allergy it would be worse in the spring/summer and not in the dead of winter like it is just now! Would this be the case, do you know?
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I had this with Hector, we did the no grass thing - road walk only. Changing the food to high protein, keeping off the carpet. Flea and mange treatment.............the next thing were blood tests at 200 quid a pop.
I e mailed the breaders and they suggested spinach in morning and evening meals. 1 week later and all itching subsided.
At 99p for a bag of frozen spinach might be worth a go.
x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks, Cat. I'll get some frozen spinach as soon as possible! Do I cook it first or what? I have no idea about frozen spinach!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I would imagine that if it was a seasonal allergy it would be worse in the spring/summer and not in the dead of winter like it is just now! Would this be the case, do you know?
Seasonal allergies can occur any time of the year. Finn has a seasonal allergy to Alternaria which is an autumn/early winter mold.

Zirtec has a good pollen calender which I can't seem to find at the moment

Edited to add -- found it

http://www.zirtek.co.uk/Hayfever/Pollen_Calendar.aspx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh that's interesting, Carole, thanks a lot. Do you give Finn antihistamines?

Both Molly and Roxy get Kronch Salmon Oil in their tea every night, sometimes EV Olive Oil as well. I would imagine this helps.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Thanks, Cat. I'll get some frozen spinach as soon as possible! Do I cook it first or what? I have no idea about frozen spinach!
It comes in little blocks. Defrost 4 lumps and mix in 2 in the morning and 2 at night.
You can put it in hot water and leave for a few mins then drain, or add a bit of water and blip it in the Micro for about 30 secs, then drain.
Cat.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh that's interesting, Carole, thanks a lot. Do you give Finn antihistamines?

Both Molly and Roxy get Kronch Salmon Oil in their tea every night, sometimes EV Olive Oil as well. I would imagine this helps.
He only needs antihistamines at the peak of the allergy season. The rest of the time I can control it with hosing his legs down after walks etc and using an air purifier indoors.

Not tried the salmon oil but Evening Primrose Oil helps and also Starflower Oil which is high in GLA is another good oil for skin. He gets a couple of capsules daily for his skin too. I wonder if there is anything in the EV olive oil for the skin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >