View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2012, 06:32 AM
None of my family acknowledge my existence so I do not expect to hear from them. The worst thing was when Mother sent my daughter a birthday card, sent my twin sister a birthday card, but forgot to send me one. [My daughter's birthday is the day before ours.]

I had thought that maybe, just maybe, my twin or my children might have remembered me on my 70th, but of course they did not.

Everyone on Dogsey did though, which more than made up for it!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
If I was you, I'd carry on doing cards for her children, but not bother to send her one for her birthday - if she says anything you can just say 'oh sorry, I thought we weren't doing cards anymore'.
This is exactly what I have decided to do. Her daughter's eleventh birthday is the second week of September so I'll do it for her and then on my sister's birthday in November, she can go and whistle for a card!!!!!

Our middle sister's birthday is in two weeks so will be interesting to see what she does for her. As middle sister only lives over the road from us, I've got a feeling she will go over and see her and then appear at my door.

Bearing in mind that OH's sister, who lives in London can be bothered to send me a card, and my own sister can't make the effort!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 08:20 AM
It would have probably peeved me when I was younger, but now we are all grown up with families of our own, it doesn't bother me a bit. My eldest sister is brilliant at remembering everyone's birthday, anniversaries etc etc and loves sending out cards, but the rest of us are a bit hit and miss. No one seems to take it personally.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I almost forget my own Birthday the other day some one said ''oh it must be your Birthday next monday'' I had no idea it was so close !

Are you close to your sister ?

And Malka that's quite sad
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 09:40 AM
I think texting someone on their birthday is a cop out to be honest, i will text but i also send a card.

Don't send your sister a card and i bet she'll soon say something then you tell her how you feel, or just say i thought we weren't sending cards anymore. No excuse, everyone has busy lives but some people bother more than others.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 10:10 AM
My mums two eldest siblings no longer do birthdays/xmas presents for each other or their children after some fall out about them forgetting.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I've got one sister who remembers everyone's birthdays, sends whole family (huge family) xmas and even Easter cards wherever they are in the world.

I remember the days prior to mobile and computer calender 'reminders' when I'd have a huge calender on the wall in the house with everyone's birthdays marked off (together with all the school stuff for the kids and doc's appointments etc.)

But to be honest, I think since the days of e-greeting cards, photo text messages, bookface et all, more and more don't bother with the snail mail real cards. Just like more and more don't bother writing 'real' letters any more and mainly only keep in touch with those they can 'cyber' contact or phone.

I'm not a believer in making Hallmark richer than they are and I hate the hype that is the build up to and surrounding for days like Mothers Day and Valentines. I do buy 'real' cards at Xmastime but always from a charity and these days only for the people I actually really bother to contact and see in 'real life'. I stopped sending Xmas cards to people who my only contact with was the exchange of cards at Xmas.

I've lived in houses where I've received Xmas cards for the previous occupant who died many years before. What's the point of sending a card to someone you don't even know still exists? And I've received cards for myself at Xmas with my 1st husband's name on them from far flung rellies who obviously are unaware I've had two more since then lol!

I wouldn't let this upset you. If it peeves you more because you always send her a card - simple - stop sending her one and it will peeve you less! You can't make people love you or be considerate and kind to you.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 10:28 AM
My Brother is the same and our birthdays are Two days apart ! It doesn't bother me so much nowadays,
He also forgets my only Son's Birthday every year...now that does bug me as they are his only Aunt and Uncle and he gets a little upset by it,I always remember my Brother's Two children,every Xmas and Birthday i send them £20 each and a card,
Every now and again he'll rock up with a designer top or something for my Son with a smirk and the usual 'you know me i always forget' and then my Son thinks he's the coolest thing ever.We went to see them a week or so ago as my parents had flown in from Spain for a visit,my Son's birthday was the week before and they didn't even say Happy Birthday to him !!!! He was so upset
Some people are just selfish,
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I have to disagree that people who don't send cards are selfish. I am staying at my eldest son's right now and he is the biggest hearted, kindest and most generous person I know - there is a huge bag of toys, treats and cash gifts waiting to go over to my youngest son's house when he can get there.

It was his only neice's 1st birthday 2 days before my eldest son's - he got a puncture and had to head back home on a get you home tyre on the day. Most of the bag of pressies are for the older kids who my youngest 'inherited' when he moved in with his partner.

And, on my eldest son's birthday 2 days later he got just ONE card and I am sat looking at it now and it was from me and his sister and we signed it jointly! Even his wife didn't get him a card.

He couldn't give a hoot about it either. He never ever sends cards to anyone. He will send me flowers in Cyprus for Mothers Day and grand pressies on birthday and xmas but I've never received a card from him - I do not ever think that means he doesn't love me or that he is selfish.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I`m afraid I`m one of the awful people who don`t `get` birthday celebrations. I don`t make a thing of my own and find other people`s a bit irelevant really. That`s not to say I don`t value my friends and family, and I do send cards as a rule because I know they want me to. And also because they start reminding me at least three weeks before . Perhaps you could adopt that approach?
A friend of mine has introduced her Birthday Plans into every conversation for weeks now. Which reminds me... I must dig out a card......
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >