Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I used to use choke chains. I don`t do it now because I`ve found better (e.g. more effective and kinder) ways to train a dog as I learned more. I really hope the same happens to you. I am concerned that people just starting out in the wonderful world of Dog are influenced into thinking that the `quick-fix` methods actually change a dogs` behaviour, rather than masking the symptoms. You have a dog that lacks confidence? Squirt water at him whenever he warns an approaching dog off! Yes it will stop your dog growling - but will it give him more confidence? No.
Snap, yank, choke, threaten, tug - call it any word you like- you are punishing a behaviour. If you don`t fully understand that behaviour you may be doing irreparable damage. Please, newbies DON`t try this at home!
I so agree with you, and there seems to be a contradiction in the post too, first the Thread states that they are used only for training purposes, now it seems that the users gets STARES when out as her dogs are being so well behaved on chokes chains and short leads..............what happens when they are let off, do they come straight back on re-call, what about running around with other dogs, playing, doing what comes natural, having a great day out.....IMO if I had to walk along with Choke chains on and on short leads, I'd feel quite mean to mine. Have you had these dogs since puppies or have you taken on them as adults with behaviour problems. IMO if you have had them since puppies why have they got problems, and if taken on as adults with problems why take on more, Sorry I'm abit confused, surely more than one dog with behaviour problems transfer to the others.
I agree with other methods, but then I've never had the disire to used what I call punishment collars etc., Not getting at anyone, just my opinion
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
That seems to have altered since I first read it. It was a study on prong collars... should read -

"A Study on Prong Collars was done in Germany:"

"100 dogs were in the study. 50 used choke and 50 used prong."

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html#AStudy
Sorry I googled choke chains n this is what i found, I personally have not altered this xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mayvren View Post
*lol Lottie* Well, I guess I have not come accross your dog's problem yet. I have had three very troubled dogs though and I stand by my claim. Combination of short use of chain and positive attention. That's what I'm saying.
But why??

Why would you want to use one when there are kinder and less stressful (for the dog) ways of training.

In my opinion, owning three very troubled dogs gives you no justification to state that a choke chain can work with any behaviour problem, especially as all dogs are individuals as well.

They are designed to work because the dog does anything it can to avoid the correction. This can only happen because the correction is in some way uncomfortable or painful or frightening to the dog.
If the dog did not find the 'correction' of the chain aversive in some way, it wouldn't work.

Personally, if I was walking along and a complete stranger came up and snogged me without my permission (and lets face it, in the doggy world quite a few dogs don't have much canine etiquette!), or intimidated me in some way, I'd do anything necessary to get them to go away. If I was then punished for doing so each time it happened, I'd start to warn people off very mildly before they got anywhere near me and if I was still punished for that by a brief yank on my neck, not only causing discomfort but also cutting off my air supply for a moment, I'd dread leaving the house! I'd be so stressed out that I wouldn't be able to concentrate properly and I'd become very withdrawn.

So why on EARTH would anyone want to put their dog through it?!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 01:07 PM
dogs respond to many things, the situation they are in, this may depend on how much they have done, for example say your dog is aggressive seeing other dogs, rather than choke him, look at your reaction in this situation, could you be adding more pressure by the way you behave? do you get stressy,,,? if so, my advice before a choke collar is,

Pack your lunch, pack your dogs lunch too, go to a busy park or dog walking area, find a nice spot on the hill, where you can see other dogs but they are not going to be to close but just on the edge of your dogs comfort zone,
take something to sit on, take a book, take a toy for the dog, give him a good walk, then settle down for the afternoon, relax read your book, let your dog get used to things, you may find the more he sees other dogs passing the less he bothers with it, he may even lay down and have a snooze, the next day go a bit closer, but not to much,,,, if the same thing happens, then just keep getting that bit closer day by day,, it could take weeks, and hours every day, but if it works without all the stress of hauling dogs by the neck shouting, dogs barking and lunging,,,god its got to be a better way to train dogs,,,,calma calma,, works for me x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
dogs respond to many things, the situation they are in, this may depend on how much they have done, for example say your dog is aggressive seeing other dogs, rather than choke him, look at your reaction in this situation, could you be adding more pressure by the way you behave? do you get stressy,,,? if so, my advice before a choke collar is,

Pack your lunch, pack your dogs lunch too, go to a busy park or dog walking area, find a nice spot on the hill, where you can see other dogs but they are not going to be to close but just on the edge of your dogs comfort zone,
take something to sit on, take a book, take a toy for the dog, give him a good walk, then settle down for the afternoon, relax read your book, let your dog get used to things, you may find the more he sees other dogs passing the less he bothers with it, he may even lay down and have a snooze, the next day go a bit closer, but not to much,,,, if the same thing happens, then just keep getting that bit closer day by day,, it could take weeks, and hours every day, but if it works without all the stress of hauling dogs by the neck shouting, dogs barking and lunging,,,god its got to be a better way to train dogs,,,,calma calma,, works for me x
Yeaaaaaaaaaa calma calma works here too,
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I used to use a choke on Kali, when he was a "pup-in-training", because he was an inveterate puller. I gave up on it, because it didn't work. Kali would rather strangle himself than slow down. One day, in town, he was giving me his usual hard time, so I let him tow me to the petshop (his favourite place ) where, in addition to a chew, he got a Halti. No more pulling, because he can't get his shoulders behind the Halti.

PS: talking to the dog gently helps, too

Snorri
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Sorry I googled choke chains n this is what i found, I personally have not altered this xx

Oh no sorry Jem, wasn't suggesting you altered it.... just someone somewhere must have.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Personally I hate them, hate the thought of 'choking' to get my dogs to do what I want... rather use other avenues thanks and not prong collar either
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Sorry if you feel you have been attacked by members, that really wasn't my intention. I do think that this can be a particularly evocative topic and therefore people will have strong opinions.

One thing i'd like to note is just because a method is considered 'established' doesn't mean it is the best one to use.

Deedee x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Deedee1321 View Post
Sorry if you feel you have been attacked by members, that really wasn't my intention. I do think that this can be a particularly evocative topic and therefore people will have strong opinions.

One thing i'd like to note is just because a method is considered 'established' doesn't mean it is the best one to use.

Deedee x
Well said !
At one time the `established` method for toilet training was to rub a pups face in it - that method was about as `right` as using choke chains imo, in other words that sort of treatment and choke chain usage should be consigned to the `history of horrors` file, so to speak.
If humans who are supposedly so intelligent and forward thinking can`t outwit a dog on something like lead walking and toilet training without resorting to using pain and fear then its the humans` faults and lack of imagination which need addressing, not the dogs.
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »