Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Empathy, timing & skill are all things that come from the heart, not from books & study.

Any good "doggy" person, will of course want to learn , & have a deep interest in their "passion" & will then for read etc, attend courses etc.

Just because they dont have a degree etc, dosent mean anything if they are talented, imo.

You could have all the study in the world & be able to talk the talk, but without empathy , timing & skill then this means little.

Some people are just not interested in studying like that. Im certainley not interested in affilating myself with any "blanket" organisation
I whole-heartedly agree
Why should good trainers, who have proved themselves to be - stick themselves into an organisation.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
who are you talking to?
What a great idea for a thread!
Who ARE you talking to.
I wonder if it would be longer or shorter than a thread entitled who AREN'T you talking to? the dog world being the dog world.

Sorry, giggles got me.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I completely understand the pressure involved in trying to achieve a qualification if you are already firmly established in the training world and have your own clubs and customers etc.
I've seen the huge disappointment when this occurs.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I think you're being a bit harsh there. She's just simply saying tha a degree course isn't for her (at this time).
Sorry if it came over that way. My answer to the original quote was just to counter the idea that trainers/behaviourist who take courses somehow neglect their clients because of it - which was, it seemed to me, to be the implication
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
I respect that you have your view and I have mine and I am guessing that you yourself have felt the need to become educated to succeed at your chosen career? But that does not mean it is the "ONLY" way.
As you say, assumptions can often be misleading especially when based on words on paper (or forums in this case). Actually, my business was successful before taking my chosen education route. Education, for me, came in wanting to ensure that my knowledge and understanding was a thorough as could be and since taking that route, I still keep my finger in the pie even though I've now retired .
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
No Im not. I don't believe that franchise approach works well for a skill based product like training.

Yep several dozen Rune. Thats right. Remember I have been teaching professionally for a great number of years. At the moment there are nine of us. There have been a lot of us for many years. At any time, any of those can or might leave to set up their own training. And periodically they do. I also have a number of trainers come to me for training prior to their establishing their own clubs, to learn about business, teaching and dogs. I have also run instructors courses and have more planned. The numbers soon add up.
So in other words, you are going to educate people by running courses?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:35 PM
DO you believe that it is only possible to understand this, by going on a paper education course?
Nope, but it does help in both concentrating the mind and ensuring that the study actually does take place (if the student wants to pass the course) and also allows for direction and guidance to be given when required where the student is struggling with analysis and evaluation of the information currently coming forward. This guidance comes from the very experienced people who run the courses - provided the courses are reputable and of good quality of course. In my view, you can't get much more reputable that a university education and you can't get much better quality than a Batchelor of Science recognised qualification as the exacting criteria that has to be met to run a degree with this qualification ensures the level of education is up to standard
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
And do you believe that those that chose not to update their skills fall within the "non educated" group or might that be the case for those who study paper based qualifications too?
I think you might be surprised how many of those stuck in a rut with methods used for 20, 30, 40 etc years change both their views and their methods as they advance further and further along the course .

Many are resistant to change, but equally, not many will continue with that resistance once they start to understand for themselves (rather than being dictated to) how they can become more effective trainers by embracing change once they understand why and how things work and why and how dogs and people learn
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
What about membership of professional bodies?

On one hand I can see the benefits of having professional membership - it should give the customer some kind of guarantee of the trainer having reached a recognised standard ...

However, if it's anything like in chemistry - if you don't pay your yearly dues, you can no longer be a member of the professional body, regardless of how experienced you are, or your qualifications.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
What about membership of professional bodies?

On one hand I can see the benefits of having professional membership - it should give the customer some kind of guarantee of the trainer having reached a recognised standard ...

However, if it's anything like in chemistry - if you don't pay your yearly dues, you can no longer be a member of the professional body, regardless of how experienced you are, or your qualifications.
Not sure I understand? I would imagine all professional bodies require annual subscription to remain a member.

As I see it, if your personal ethics match those of the professional body you are in then there is much to be gained from membership - not least, from a dog trainer's standpoint, the ability to discuss matters with a peer group all very like-minded when it comes to methods and ethics

However, some professional bodies are better than others. Some have very exacting procedures for entry, others you just pay your money and your in. I prefer the former and can't see the point of the latter
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »