Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
my immediate thought was get her allergy tested, a wheat/gluten type allergy could really aggravate the stomach and lead to this type of illness so definitely worth a try first.

big hugs
Thanks dani, I'm definitely heading towards this now.xx

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Helena, I'd definitely include the allergy testing. A friend had a dog that was allergic to a long list of foods. Her poor dog suffered for four years before the testing was carried out - constantly ill - but once she knew what she was working with and found a food source the dog could tolerate, things settled down wonderfully and the dog could at last have a good life.

At worst, the tests will come back negative and it's cost a few quid for nowt, but at best ......................
I will be asking for this test, thanks for the valuable help towards having it done. The thing is, would she suddenly develop an allergy to something at 18 months old I wonder? Don't they do the intolerance to certain foods by starting her on an exclusion diet? Do they use blood to ascertain the results of an exclusion test, or how do they do it....better get Googling again then!!

Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Oh NOoooooooooooooooooooo and Zena had been doing so well, I really think it is time to investigate further... I am SO sorry to read this and will follow your thread closely!!

Hugs from us all here in Seattle - special gentle hugs from Daisy to Zena xxxx
Thanks DD, it's really awful to see her like this, as I was only saying to Dave last week how very "well" she is, bouncing around, acting the complete loon, having got over the loss of her friend Thanks for her hugs, she's getting lots of those poor little girl.xxx

Just a thought, I might mention to my vet this morning when I ring her, about that swim in the dewpond which would have been 10 days prior to the onset of this, and she did go right under the water coming up covered in black mud, maybe there were some particular nasties in it and has caused this? Some things can take 10 days to show any signs, especially some of those parasites.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 06:52 AM
I suddenly developed all sorts of allergies when I was in my mid twenties.

I often wonder if some of the vague headaches and aches and pains before them were actually intolerances and those intolerances got worse and turned to full-blown allergies.

Some of them have disappeared over the years, but I still get flu-like symptoms if I stay too close to someone wearing certain after-shaves/scents (my eye doesn't swell like an egg nowadays though) and I still can't walk through Boots without sneezing all the way round after a couple of minutes. I'm also very allergic to garlic.

I'm guessing dogs can be the same, but it is a guess.

ETA: Google the YORK test. Seems to be the allergy test most recommended as being the most reliable
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Oh Helen! I am so upset to read this!! I'm sure the vets will get to the bottom of it cos lets face it, Zena does look so well. I'm not in a position to guess what it could be but she has not been deteriorating and she has just had the massive stress of losing Georgie.

Huge hugs to you and precious Zena. Sending tons of positive and healing vibes xxxxxxx
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:55 AM
OMG Helena, I am sooo sorry to hear that Zena's tummy troubles have reared their ugly head again.

Poor Little Girl. Poor you. You must be distraught with worry. I cannot suggest anything else that hasn't already been, but sending loads of positive vibes to Zena, hoping that this is a problem that can be easily sorted.

Our furbabies are great at making us worry, arn't they? Try to keep your chin up, H. You have all been through such a stressful time lately, and moving house is top of the list.

Big hugs to you and Zena from Me, Molly n Mindy x x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Just looking in to see how she is today, that swim in the pond might have resulted in her swallowing some water, maybe she drank some, either way if there were any nasties in it then 10 days would be about right.

Hope you can find out what it is, keep us posted please.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:16 AM
I really hope you manage to find out what is causing all this, it must be so worrying for you
I picked up a couple of allergies in my 40's so I dont think age has anything to do with it.
And yes tell the vet about the swim, it may be very important.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:21 AM
I suddenly developed all sorts of allergies when I was in my mid twenties.

I often wonder if some of the vague headaches and aches and pains before them were actually intolerances and those intolerances got worse and turned to full-blown allergies.

Some of them have disappeared over the years, but I still get flu-like symptoms if I stay too close to someone wearing certain after-shaves/scents (my eye doesn't swell like an egg nowadays though) and I still can't walk through Boots without sneezing all the way round after a couple of minutes. I'm also very allergic to garlic.

I'm guessing dogs can be the same, but it is a guess.

ETA: Google the YORK test. Seems to be the allergy test most recommended as being the most reliable
Can't thank you enough for that Chris. I've sent them an enquiry asking about a test for Zena. I can do the poo test from home which costs £220, but I've asked if they can use some blood which I will be getting this morning at the vets and they can send it off to them can't they. I must get this sorted now.xxx

Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
Oh Helen! I am so upset to read this!! I'm sure the vets will get to the bottom of it cos lets face it, Zena does look so well. I'm not in a position to guess what it could be but she has not been deteriorating and she has just had the massive stress of losing Georgie.

Huge hugs to you and precious Zena. Sending tons of positive and healing vibes xxxxxxx
Thanks Claire, it's just awful seeing her like this, and yet I decided to take her on a short walk just now, she perked right up, acting totally normal, but of course, I tried to keep it a quiet one! Thanks Claire.xxx

Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
OMG Helena, I am sooo sorry to hear that Zena's tummy troubles have reared their ugly head again.

Poor Little Girl. Poor you. You must be distraught with worry. I cannot suggest anything else that hasn't already been, but sending loads of positive vibes to Zena, hoping that this is a problem that can be easily sorted.

Our furbabies are great at making us worry, arn't they? Try to keep your chin up, H. You have all been through such a stressful time lately, and moving house is top of the list.

Big hugs to you and Zena from Me, Molly n Mindy x x
Thanks Deb, always summat in this house isn't there! Fed up with it all, so I'm on the case now, going to ring the vet and get an appointment first thing this morning. If I go to the smaller branch, I can stay with her in the surgery for the vet to take some blood without having to have her taken away like the hospital would. Thanks Deb.xxx

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Just looking in to see how she is today, that swim in the pond might have resulted in her swallowing some water, maybe she drank some, either way if there were any nasties in it then 10 days would be about right.

Hope you can find out what it is, keep us posted please.
Thanks H, yes, that swim is very important I think now, coz 10 days is right as you say, and that water was very black that she stirred up as she went under. Dogs hey?!!!

Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I really hope you manage to find out what is causing all this, it must be so worrying for you
I picked up a couple of allergies in my 40's so I dont think age has anything to do with it.
And yes tell the vet about the swim, it may be very important.
Thanks Milk maid, I'm seeing the vet this morning so I will tell him. I'm also taking in a poo sample for them to send off to check for worms, although it always, always comes back clear (I don't think they can see them sometimes!!!).

ETA: appt for 10.10 this morning but can't do bloods until tomorrow no nurse in today, but I might be able to persuade the nice vet to let us do it together, coz he is the one who helped me send Georgie on his way, I'm sure he will trust me enough to keep her still.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:58 AM
This sounds very similar to my Yoda's problems. He used to have bouts of diarrhea and sickness, always tinged pink/bloody.
He was diagnosed with IBD after having biopsies taken via surgery (which I would NOT recommend) as thats the only way it can be confirmed for definate.

He had it more severely, his bouts were weekly so he was put on steroids, I found with careful dietry managment, and getting him to the vet as soon as symptoms reappeared (a few times when I waited he had to be admitted due to dehydration) he was happy and fine most of the time.

Im not saying thats what it is, but it does sound similar.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Good grief, talk about inflation.

The last time I had a client that had the York test done it was £40 some pounds - mind that was the blood test.

I know it's still recommended by trainers (on a list and see this often) as being the most reliable
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
This sounds very similar to my Yoda's problems. He used to have bouts of diarrhea and sickness, always tinged pink/bloody.
He was diagnosed with IBD after having biopsies taken via surgery (which I would NOT recommend) as thats the only way it can be confirmed for definate.

He had it more severely, his bouts were weekly so he was put on steroids, I found with careful dietry managment, and getting him to the vet as soon as symptoms reappeared (a few times when I waited he had to be admitted due to dehydration) he was happy and fine most of the time.

Im not saying thats what it is, but it does sound similar.
You don't know HOW much that has put my mind at rest, especially you mentioning that pink colour! Thanks!

Good grief, talk about inflation.

The last time I had a client that had the York test done it was £40 some pounds - mind that was the blood test.

I know it's still recommended by trainers (on a list and see this often) as being the most reliable
You can get a bog standard one for as little as £9.99 but the poo one I noticed is £220 I think? Didn't go so far as to see the price of the blood one, but at least my receptionist lady said they have heard of the York test and do send blood off to different labs. It might be worth having a tli test done too, then we can rule EPI out can't we.
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »