Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 11:13 PM

Is this crate the right size?

Just two questions!
One being - if Alfie was in a crate that was too big, and then down-graded to one that was the right size, is this unfair?

Basically.. Alfie has always been in a crate that I know was "bigger", because I wanted him to have room, and if he needed to pee, he didn't have to wet his bed etc...
He is now 7 months and recently started wetting his crate again, and a few people advised to put him in a smaller crate.

I think size wise it is fine as he can stand/lie down/turn round etc.. but mum is making me feel bad as he is now in a "tiny crate" etc...

So just wanting peoples opinions?
This is before (he was a couple of months younger, but still a small dog - just under JRT size - and minus the blue bed)...

This is now...

kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Actually to be honest now.. I don't think I feel to happy about him in that crate. When we go to visit family and it is only for a couple of nights around xmas time he will be fine, but for everyday, I think I might just put him in the big crate, but get a large cushion bed that fills the bottom of the crate as I doubt he would then wet it!

Would that be okay?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Firstly, I think that crate is perfect may be a little on the small side but as long as he has room to lay down on his side, it should be fine - I think thats the general rule of crates. Maybe another member could tell you.

But I shouldnt think that if you move him back into the bigger one with a cushion that fills the floor, that he should wet it.

But I shouldn't worry about what your mum says - you need him housetrained, trial him in the little one for at least a week and see if the wetting has stopped, if it has and you're still not happy with the little crate, move him in the bigger one with the cushion. If your mum is making you feel rubbish, dont let it get to you, he's only in there at night/ when you go out. And I'm not betting that he's bothered about it when he's asleep.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 08:04 AM
The bigger the crate for a dog the better. Always get the biggest possible crate you can for your dog to give the space to sprawl out and move around comfortably and if possible be able to play with thier toys.
fabbysmom
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I think he would do fine in the small crate until he has the full understanding "I should not pee in my crate".
I did the same with my babies during housebreaking period- when I saw they were peeing in their crate for 2-3 times in a row, I used to separator of the crates to restrict the area.
A few OK days in a row --> back to a bigger area.
As long as they can sleep, stand and turn around in the crate, it's fine.
Moreover, he'll have more space than he needs in the end (having seen his previous crate).
He needs to be in the small crate only for a period
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Whilst je is wettin in the cage it needs to be back to basics so the smaller cage. It may not be for very long them he can go in the larger one again.
ATD x
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys!
I have ordered a large cushion for the bigger crate - so I will keep him in this one until that one arrives =)