Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
My heart goes out to you all with pets who are terrified of fireworks It is so stressful for so many animals. Thank god I live in the sticks where we don't hear a single bang. I have never had a dog who is scared of fireworks but have seen dogs that are literally wetting themselves in fear, and it is heartbreaking.

I wonder if it were possible for those people with dogs who are really terrified to go away for bonfire night/weekend to the deepest countryside where there are none of the dreaded things?
I have been known to load up the dogs at 9pm and drive them up to Cissbury Hill, sitting there in the freezing cold, all alone, oh so dark and spooky, but at least my dogs were calm away from all the noise. If you can do it, then do something like that, get away from them. I spent 10 years watching my previous gsd on the verge of a heart attack from November to New Year's Eve, so I have the utmost sympathy with you all.

Our neighbours decided to have a big bonfire party last night, the 18 year old son had all his mates round, sitting out the back with the radio full blast letting off bangers, whilst the adults and kids were at the front of the house in the bigger garden with the bonfire and whizzers!!!! I hope we don't have to go through that again tonight, thankyou God, my two were oblivious to the whole thing, Zena even went outside for a wee at 11 pm just as they set off a big banger, and it shocked her, but she didn't bother, just came indoors for a carrot. I hope this is the way we're going to go on in this house with these awful bladdy things, for senseless people with money to burn!!! Ban 'em I say!!!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Years ago it just used to be 5th November and you could give your pet a tranquiliser to help calm them. Now however, as previous posters have said, they go on for weeks and sometimes months. I can't understand how, with all the health and safety rules in this country, that someone can go into a shop and basically buy an explosive!
I just wished they had more sense than money.

I am not against organised displays as you know when and where they are happening.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Last night we were in the country at our soon to move into house, so heard them and they only sounded like gunshots, which Sadie isnt bothered about when we go into woodland and the farmer is shooting birds. But tonight she jumped in the shower with me, wont stop shaking panting, I darent feed her because it'll all just be thrown back up.

Luckily Benjie only barks at the noisy big ones (however it sets Sadie off shaking more when he barks) he just tries to chase them and Louie has a couple of woofs then goes to sleep or follows Sadie around and lciks her face whenever she shakes (to keep her calmer I suppose) She totally shuts down and wont come to her name.

To be honest I didnt expect Louie to be how he is, it's his first season this year so he's doing good, must be the working springer in him.

Hope everyone elses pups settle down
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm so glad that Jake isnt bothered by fireworks! I can sympathise with those whose dogs are though, my old boy Sam was terrified of them and would hide in the bathroom when they were going off.

I wish they would be banned from public sale, i went to a local bonfire last night and the number of things that couldve ended so bad was ridiculous. one guy had to jump and grab a wee boy (of about 4) out of the way, coz he was standing right next to a lit firework!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Funny how they like to be in the bathroom isn't it, Cassie was like that, and would try and hide behind the loo! It often made me wonder if it's their 6th sense kicking in, coz when houses are blown up, or blown away, it's usually only the bathroom that's still standing!

We had a big event just now (lasted a whole hour!) at our village primary school, huuuuge bangs, almost shook the house Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought schools were supposed to be on "cut-backs" and yet they've got money to burn, and lots of it too, it's not cheap setting off huge fireworks for a whole hour is it!

Apart from that it's all gone quiet here, but I expect it'll get worse later on, but so far so good, all is still calm here. Good luck to all of you, hope your poor dogs manage to calm themselves down again before bed-time and I hope they manage to get outside for a wee, that's another worry for you isn't it, I know it only too well
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Funny how they like to be in the bathroom isn't it, Cassie was like that, and would try and hide behind the loo! It often made me wonder if it's their 6th sense kicking in, coz when houses are blown up, or blown away, it's usually only the bathroom that's still standing!
yeah, i have heard of a few dogs who choose the bathroom lol... not sure why that is! OT, but why is it the bathroom that is usually left standing? dont they usually say in a hurricaine to hide in the bathroom with a mattress on top... i think

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
We had a big event just now (lasted a whole hour!) at our village primary school, huuuuge bangs, almost shook the house Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought schools were supposed to be on "cut-backs" and yet they've got money to burn, and lots of it too, it's not cheap setting off huge fireworks for a whole hour is it!

Apart from that it's all gone quiet here, but I expect it'll get worse later on, but so far so good, all is still calm here. Good luck to all of you, hope your poor dogs manage to calm themselves down again before bed-time and I hope they manage to get outside for a wee, that's another worry for you isn't it, I know it only too well
we have had a few bangs, not nearly as many as last night though... Jake is in his bed snoring away though so not the slightest bit bothered... i think he finds xfactor worse than the bangs
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I am very lucky!!! both my 2 are not bothered by them, I was a bit worried about how Rio was going to be, seen as though it's her 1st experience with them. I feel for all of the dogs out there that are terrified of them, it must be awful seeing them in such a state
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2010, 11:52 PM
hope everyone had a better night than last night,
ive been in work tonight (its only 5 mins away from home) and ive not heard many of those really loud booming bangs tonight luckily and my mum said that ruby hasnt been too bad tonight she was a bit more settled only barking at some of them and hasnt been reacting to any on the tv either which she was last night
we did have some going off this afternoon though on our walk which spooked her and sent her running so i put her back on the lead i was to worried she would get really spooked and run off totally
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2010, 12:48 AM
We had a display on the field we normally walk the dogs on , less than a minute away from our house , Toffee and Teddy were at the bedroom window watching all the pretty lights and just flicking their ears when the whizzes and bangs happened (we had the best view of the display from our bedroom)

my little girl Gypsy wasnt happy at all though , she basically climbed onto my lap and stayed there snuggled against me for the 20 minutes the fireworks were going off , every so often she would take a treat from me (I was trying to associate the bangs with yummy food) so she wasnt as stressed as I was worried she could be and she settled down straight away once it stopped
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 08:12 AM
I feel so sorry for all the dogs so petrified by fireworks; it's so horrible for them. But spare a thought for those dogs in rescue kennels that don't have the comfort of a familiar person, or are just left to their own devices in an enclosed space from which they can't escape . Ther have been some terrible injuries because of the panic or self-mutilation.

And what about all the rabbits, guinea-pigs etc stuck in cages in a shed or garden.

One of my dogs & both cats are completely fine with fireworks & barely flick an ear. But Barney's had a couple of bad nights & ended up panting & shaking & cuddled up to me or OH.

A friend whose dog really panics & suffers drives out into the country with a thermos & just sits it out for an hour or so. Also this year, as a last resort, she's tried diazepam with huge success. Maybe worth a try for some terrified dogs?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >