Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:20 PM

Dog with a job

I have just got back from shopping and on the bus was a brindle mastiff. No ordinary mastiff, but a Guide Dog for the Blind, such a lovely sight too, makes such a change to see a different breed doing the job, I have seen a GSD and a standard Poodle in my time. It was interesting to watch how such a big dog managed to get under the seat
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
What the hell?

Mind I have seen a yorkie as a hearing dog and there are seeing Ponies - what will they think of next.

They'll be out of a job soon, it was on the news the other night they've got something that helps blind see it's like a chip they put in the eye or behind it :/ I'd much prefer to have a dog if I was blind
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
They'll be out of a job soon, it was on the news the other night they've got something that helps blind see it's like a chip they put in the eye or behind it :/ I'd much prefer to have a dog if I was blind

I think I'd much rather have my sight - at least then I could adopt a pet dog too!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post

I think I'd much random have my sight - at least then I could adopt a pet dog too!
I didnt mean like that - I meant it's still a trial but there must be many complications, however a dog is tried and trusted.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:54 PM
How fab!.....
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
That is different, I always feel a tear pricking when see guide dogs even though shouldn't because their help and loyalty is invaluable to the folk who need them and a good thing
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I have seen plenty of Labs, GRs and LabxGR, as well as the odd GSD guide dog, but have never seen anything like a mastiff How nice.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Aww thats nice!

I saw a husky earlier with someone in a wheelchair going for a walk. They stopped outside the local cornershop, a man appeared with a few bags (Im presuming he was a friend or carer?) and the dog helped the man by putting the shopping on the back of the wheel chair. Brought a tear to my eye.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Seems we sometimes get programmed into what we feel is the norm.
I have to say seeing such a huge mastiff doing such a job, made me think...Awwwww how nice that he is so gentle and smart.
Then I thought.........my no-one will pick on his owner with that giant

I agree with you others....it was nice and yes it did bring a tear, seeing him work so loyal and gentle with his owner

SB, the Husky sounds lovely, how helpful
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Interesting I wonder how a mastiff ended up on the program. Guide dogs for the blind mainly breed dogs specifically for the purpose.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >