Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2009, 04:54 PM

My dog is staggering and unsteady on her feet

HI there,

I hope someone can give me some advice please?

My Weimaraner, Amber, who is 13 years old in 5 days, has recently started to show her age over the last few months.

Up until a few months ago she was very fit and apart from being stiff when she gets up was doing ok.

However this morning she struggled to get up out of her bed and when she is walking about she sometimes falls to the side. Her eyes look much more cloudy today.

She is eating and going to the toilet ok.

I am wondering if her eye sight is failing ? She was my first dog, and I have had her since I was 18 years old when I bought her at 8 weeks old. So although I have other dogs now, I have never experienced a dog loosing its sight....

I know that she is old and am mentally preparing myself for the worse, and have been for sometime now, but as long as she is managing to get about ok and has some quality of life, I don't want to let her go. However, today is the first time she hasn't been herself, and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this with their older dogs?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give me.

Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 04:58 PM
There is a lot that can be done for older dogs. I suggest you get her to the vet as the stiffness can certainly be eased.
The cloudiness in the eyes is very common in older dogs, but would not be causing staggering. It is possibly your dog may have a medical problem and I`d get her to the vet.
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Amber is absolutely petrified of the vets, we nearly lost her to Bloat 2 years ago and she was very ill, since then, each time we take her for her check ups and boosters, she is beside herself and we have to carry her in.

I know that a visit to the vets is in order and intend to take her tomorrow, I just don't want to put her through lots and lots of examinations and stress. I want to make her as comfortable as possible and as happy as I can.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Have you tried a different vet - so she doesn`t know it`s a vet? And don`t take her in till the last minute?
I hope she`s feeling better soon.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 05:26 PM
There is certainly a lot to be done for old dogs- but i do think owners often prolong things too much- for their own benefit when it is actually kinder to let the dog be PTS- not saying this is case here, just a view i have in general
hope your girl is ok? let us know what vet says!
Springador
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2009, 08:34 PM
She may have had a mild stroke, my dog has similar probelms, falling to one side and glazed vision. I would try and see a vet as soon as you can.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Springador View Post
She may have had a mild stroke, my dog has similar probelms, falling to one side and glazed vision. I would try and see a vet as soon as you can.
or have 'vestibular' syndrome imo you have to be cruel to be kind and take her to the vet,if it is either there are things your vet can do to help.
good luck ((hugs to your girlie)).
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Sounds like the dog version of a stroke to me too. My lad had one of these & medication kept another at bay for over a year. Hope you get her sorted.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2009, 10:20 AM
It could be a stroke, my old JRT had one when she was 14 she was prescribed vivitonin and went on to live to 17yrs so dont give up on your girl the vet may be able to treat her condition. finger crossed for her x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Any update???????????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >