View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Don't think it's anything to do with breeding potential, more a case of supply and demand.

Some breeds are more expensive than others of similar size, the reason being, there is higher demand for them compared to the numbers bred. Likewise bitches are more popular as pets and for showing, at least in my epxperience they are.

Think someone else said earlier in the thread, it's a ploy to make a male more pup more appealing than a bitch. May not always be the best thing though, if a bitch is more suitable for a particular owner.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
the thing is ................ a dog can sire many more puppies than a bitch can produce after all a dog can go to sire for many years

so i don't see why bitches are dearer
ahhh but the ikkle kiddies you dont get to witness the 'joy of birth' with a dog......

thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Don't think it's anything to do with breeding potential, more a case of supply and demand.

Some breeds are more expensive than others of similar size, the reason being, there is higher demand for them compared to the numbers bred.
I dont think that is necessarily the case either.
One of my breeds is highly sought, but like hens teeth to get hold of - yet I (and most other breeders) charge less
than a breed of comparable size/type, which has greater numbers.

(I hope that makes sense, i am being careful not to offend)
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
I dont think that is necessarily the case either.
One of my breeds is highly sought, but like hens teeth to get hold of - yet I (and most other breeders) charge less
than a breed of comparable size/type, which has greater numbers.

(I hope that makes sense, i am being careful not to offend)

Yep that makes perfect sense But I do think you give an example of an exception rather than the rule.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 07:27 PM
its very intresting the views that have came up, thanks for the in-put
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2007, 07:57 PM
When you have a waiting list weighted to bitches due to their popularity and a litter arrives weighted towards dogs I don't see any problems in using an incentive to encourage people, who have already been vetted as a desirable homes, to reconsider their choice in a breed where the temperament differences are not great.
I appreciate some people have a natural bias towards always thinking the worst of breeders but I think people may be getting a little carried away with thinking the worst here :smt001 In my breed you do see this fairly often but we are talking a difference of £25 or £50 not the sorts of amounts that are retirement to Spain type profits :smt001
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 08:09 PM
ANY LITTER I HAVE HAD HAVE ALL BEEN THE SAME PRICE MALE AND FEMALE BUT I HAVE BEEEN ASKED IF THE MALE IS CHEAPER , WHEN I SAID NO THEY HAVE REPLIED WELL IT SHOULD BE COS THE BITCHES MAKE MONEY AND MALES ONLY MAKE ONE OF PAYMENTS PER BITCH , WHEN I ASKED WHAT THEY MEANT I WAS TOLD COS A MALE ONLY GAINS ONE STUD FEE PER BITCH AND A BITCH CAN HAVE AT LEAST 8 PUPS PER LITTER . TO WHICH I HAVE REPLIUED IF YOU ONLY WANT A DOG FOR STUD OR THE BITCH TO BREED OF TO MAKE MONEY .
YOU CAN F**K OFF PAL . AS AN ANIMAL IS FOR LIFE AND TO BE LOVED AND MADE SURE ITS CARED FOR SO YOU WONT BE SUITABLE FOR ANY PUPPY FROM ONE OF MY GIRLS AND PUT THE PHONE DOWN .
(SO GOOD ON YOU MORGAN STAR FOR PUTTING FON DOWN )THERE IS SOME RIGHT IGNORANT MORONS OUT THERE
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 07:29 PM
i assume its because you can breed of a bitch - they are more desirable

i prefer bitches - not because i want to breed - because they imo are more loyal in general - just a personal opinion

but people like me wil pay the extra if they want the bitch (which i would) so breeders pick up on this a charge more (some breeders not all1!!)
Doggies4Evers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Females CAN have PUPS. Thus making them more money.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I think that some people charge more for bitch puppys because they can breed...

Personally I paid the same for my bitch, Jess than I would of paid for a male.

I would charge the same for a bitch as I would for a male if I ever bred one of my dogs.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >