View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Mine went endoresed but both dog and bitch same price. I think theres as much danger in indiscrimantly using a stud dog if not more. A bitch can have perhaps 3 4 litters a dog can sire hundreds of puppies.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Mine went endoresed but both dog and bitch same price. I think theres as much danger in indiscrimantly using a stud dog if not more. A bitch can have perhaps 3 4 litters a dog can sire hundreds of puppies.

Excellent point. Perhaps it's easier having a litter for the quick buck with a bitch but harder to get stud fees for a dog as anyone with any sense wouldn't use an unknown stud
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
My last two litters all went for the same price, though it was very tempting to charge more for the long coats as they were what every one wanted who wasn't after a dog who had be show potential. When we first started breeding in the 60's we followed the owner of the sires advice & charged more for those who she considered had show potential, but soon decided this was not the way I wanted to go.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
i agree Sue,
all mine went with a contract stating they were bought as pets. Didnt want some one coming back and saying it wasnt winning
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
In my breed there is often a much higher call for bitches in the mistaken view that they can be softer than the male, this being one of the desirable characteristics of the breed. In fact there is little difference between the genders in temperament so pricing the bitches slightly higher can be an inducement to encourage the pet buyer to consider a dog who will serve their requirements just as well.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
I've seen this myself and wondered why bitches were more. I'm pretty sure it's because bitches can produce pups and these breeders probably feel they should get a slice themselves. Yes, sires can produce hundreds of pups but from these breeders' point of view, they will make more money from a bitch. The stud fee from one mating is not going to match the amount of money to be made from a whole litter. I could be wrong but this is just the impression I get.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I've charged the same price regardless of whether its a dog or a bitch, the price I charge is for a puppy, not whether it's show quality or because of its gender.

I had one chap phone to say he didn't want a show quality pup so could he have one at a lower price. His ears must have been well and truly ringing when he got off the phone from me and needless to say he wasn't invited to view the litter.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-05-2007, 05:58 PM
All pups were the same price in Ollies litter.Regardless of gender.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
good point, I have had two litters in my life time, the first one I lost £450.00 on the second one I could have been up on money had the little gits not eaten a hole in my lovely leather chesterfield. The dogs have been used at stud twice with no cost on my part so to speak, I would say there is more chance of making money from dogs than bitches without the hard work,
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Mine were the same for both sexes, and Dusty (a silver dapple) was the same as her black and tan siblings, which is a rare occasion too.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >