Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
It makes me feel really sick people saying that if a dog is in a compatition or show home and dosent make the grade it might be happier in a pet home
These are hobbies, they should still BE pet homes. If you are thinking your pet dosent make the grade then mibby you should be thinking its not the pet - YOU have not made the grade as a pet owners

as I said, different with REAL jobs, guide dogs, police dogs and farm dogs, although many of these are kept it is understandable to retire them to a pet home if they couldnt cope with the young un doing their job right infront of them

agility, ob, and showing are not a job
great post again, I agree. things like that are hobbies, so the dog should come first. I hate when people rehome their dog for not being, well basically for not being ‘good enough’… I find that extremely sad.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Are you saying you honestly believe that people choosing to have a dog as a hobby and people needing a dog to do a job are the same thing?

We will have to agree to differ as I don't understand how you Can't see the difference.

IMHO - if you choose to take a dog into your life then you take that dog on - not what it could be or what it could produce...you get that dog - period!
If you do not feel you can provide the best home for it then you should question whether it is right to take it on in the first place.
Great post!
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE]Whats wrong with keeping dogs in kennels?/QUOTE]

Why would you want to keep your pet in a kennel? Obviously for short term stay - say whilst on holiday - or perhaps for a couple of hours during the day if the weather was good.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Bagwoman;1872036]
Whats wrong with keeping dogs in kennels?/QUOTE]

Why would you want to keep your pet in a kennel? Obviously for short term stay - say whilst on holiday - or perhaps for a couple of hours during the day if the weather was good.
I didnt ask you why "I" would want to keep my dog in kennels, I asked you what was wrong with it? Do you think rescue dogs should be PTS rather than keep them in kennels for long periods of time?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Borderdawn;1872037]
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post

I didnt ask you why "I" would want to keep my dog in kennels, I asked you what was wrong with it? Do you think rescue dogs should be PTS rather than keep them in kennels for long periods of time?
No but then the ultimate aim is to put the dogs in homes---not kennels.

I don't think it is wrong to keep dogs in kennels (as long as they have not come from a home to a kennel) but I don't think people who do can experience the same things with their dogs that sharing your life and house with them can.

They really can't be true 'pet' dogs if they are kenneled.

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Just to go back to the original point. I know a couple of breeders who say have 8 puppies in a litter and sell them for about £700 = £5,200 - now don't tell me that it costs that much to rear a litter of puppies to 8/10 weeks.
its not long in adding up..

my pups injections and the cost of vet bed alone came to over £1000
I had to hand rear my last litter which worked out very pricey, I spent hundreds on powdered milk alone, then the same again on puppy porridge, then the same again on Eukanuba puppy,

it worked out well in to the thousands... I didnt loose anything, but I didnt gain from the litter either,
though I did get two wonderful pups to keep
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:36 PM
i believe in sending dogs to a retirement home after a showing career or after the spaying of a brood bitch especially if you are commercial breeders (not puppy farmers) and have many dogs still showing or breeding. i believe it is fair on the dog in question, however i couldnt do this as i am far too soft and they are all my babies and if were up to me i'd have 50 dogs and id sleep in the car if i had to lol
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
its not long in adding up..

my pups injections and the cost of vet bed alone came to over £1000
I had to hand rear my last litter which worked out very pricey, I spent hundreds on powdered milk alone, then the same again on puppy porridge, then the same again on Eukanuba puppy,

it worked out well in to the thousands... I didnt loose anything, but I didnt gain from the litter either,
though I did get two wonderful pups to keep
i agree, combined with 8 weeks off work needed to raise the puppies. there was a question about this on another forum i belong to and in average the breeders just about broke even.

if i ever managed that i'd be over the moon and our breed have an average of 8 pups per litter and sell for £1000 each
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Are you saying you honestly believe that people choosing to have a dog as a hobby and people needing a dog to do a job are the same thing?We will have to agree to differ as I don't understand how you Can't see the difference.

Thats not what I said

Originally Posted by Jackbox
There is not difference to the dog whether it re homed from a REAL job or a HOBBY home.
I said, as far as the dog is concerned there is not difference.

The rest is our emotions taking over.

We may or may not like it when dogs are moved on... but the fact is the dog will not give it a second thought.. dogs adapt to new homes every day.

So in, that I cant see why some see it as OK for a dog to be rehomed from a working home, but not from a pet/hobby home.

The outcome is the same!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2010, 05:26 PM
How can you admire someone who keeps their dogs in kennels and who gets rid of them if they interfer with their hobby.
1) many peopel keep their pets in kennels, they may not do it as you do, but thats does not mean they are not as good as you.

2) I have no problem with anyone moving dogs on to a pet home, if they dont make the grad in what ever hobby or wok they have chosen..

What makes your way the right way??

Everyone wants different things from their dogs, unless a dog is abused , then I accept, we all want and look at animals in different lights.

I dont take the superior attitude that only people owning pet dogs for life , are the righteous.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
1) many peopel keep their pets in kennels, they may not do it as you do, but thats does not mean they are not as good as you.

2) I have no problem with anyone moving dogs on to a pet home, if they dont make the grad in what ever hobby or wok they have chosen..

What makes your way the right way??

Everyone wants different things from their dogs, unless a dog is abused , then I accept, we all want and look at animals in different lights.

I dont take the superior attitude that only people owning pet dogs for life , are the righteous.
I have often said, thats why lots of working/breeding/showing people dont do forums... they would constantly have to justify every action to many pet owners.
Page 10 of 41 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »