View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Please note this thread is 3 years old...
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I think the OP failed to mention to elaborate who or why not one would (or wouldn't) let CM near their dogs.

If I had a problem as many of the people that call him do, we have to remember that many folks who call him have tried most of the other options &/or trainers & are at the end of their rope of saving their dog. In many of the cases its either CM or euthenasia because other training methods have failed.

I have to say that I would be interested in his insight on certain aspects of my dogs behavior or just to sit & talk dog with him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
I think the OP failed to mention to elaborate who or why not one would (or wouldn't) let CM near their dogs.

If I had a problem as many of the people that call him do, we have to remember that many folks who call him have tried most of the other options &/or trainers & are at the end of their rope of saving their dog. In many of the cases its either CM or euthenasia because other training methods have failed.
This excuse has been used to justify appallingly cruel methods - including using electric shocks to a dog`s genital area. (See locked thread)
I have retrained dogs using positive methods, I am not unusual or even particularly good at training. I am merely willing to use patience and intelligence rather than force and expediency.
The man is an entertainer, not a dog trainer. He has a huge staff (PR, publicists, assistants etc. ) making sure you and people like you think the `right` things about him so he can sell more books.
I have a previously `red zone` dog. I wouldn`t let that man anywhere near her. Yesterday she played ball happily with a visitor.

call me cynical - but is the resurrection of this thread anything to do with his new UK show?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-02-2011, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE]
we have to remember that many folks who call him have tried most of the other options &/or trainers & are at the end of their rope of saving their dog. In many of the cases its either CM or euthenasia because other training methods have failed.
how do you know this?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 05:20 PM

I have to say that I would be interested in his insight on certain aspects of my dogs behavior or just to sit & talk dog with him.
actually I have watched episodes of the show where other trainers have came and pinned and chocked the dog and failed
I remember the collie in the garage - CM's advice was that the other trainers haddnt pinned it to the floor long enough
The Jindo - who was agressive because the other trainer haddnt be able to pin it on its side well enough

I have never actually seen an episode where people have said they have tried positive trainers - although I have heard of positive trainers who have been called out because him or his methods have failed

Most people at their wits end havent actually tried much at all - they have expected their dog to behaive, have tried a little shouting, possibly even a few treats - but havent really tried ANY method properly

and yup if I could stay calm i would love to talk dog with him too
To try and show him what the dogs are REALLY saying to him - instead of him just making up rubbish about them domonating everything - including light in one episode
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Its not the methods that fail, its people that fail the method. I use cesar-esque methods with my dogs, once they know what the right thing is they'd better darn well do it (of course I don't hit them or be abusive to them phsyically. Its all a mental game).

The methods work, there is no doubt at that but can the average pet owner do it? No. There were quite a few eps where the ownwrs say 'we don't know what we're going to have to do with fido if CM can't help him/her' or just by the way they talk, you know the dog is running out of chances. But most of the dogs got there by having clueless owners in the first place.

I saw the Jindo ep, & I hate the term 'pinning the dog down' its more acurately 'laying the dog down' like the first time a horse is laid down, most of the time there is a fight (even if one does it right) because the animal is fighting the loss of control not so much the human doing the excersise.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Have a look at this recent thread http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...=dog+whisperer
showing the CM methods in their true light.
Like the video of him choking the dog into unconsciousness? And the shock collar footage where the dog panicked and bit the owner?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Its not the methods that fail, its people that fail the method. I use cesar-esque methods with my dogs, once they know what the right thing is they'd better darn well do it (of course I don't hit them or be abusive to them phsyically. Its all a mental game).

The methods work, there is no doubt at that but can the average pet owner do it? No. There were quite a few eps where the ownwrs say 'we don't know what we're going to have to do with fido if CM can't help him/her' or just by the way they talk, you know the dog is running out of chances. But most of the dogs got there by having clueless owners in the first place.

I saw the Jindo ep, & I hate the term 'pinning the dog down' its more acurately 'laying the dog down' like the first time a horse is laid down, most of the time there is a fight (even if one does it right) because the animal is fighting the loss of control not so much the human doing the excersise.
!!

If you are going against the animal - it is a fight and you are holding the dog down!!! If you were laying the animal - it would be going over of its own accord!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
!!

If you are going against the animal - it is a fight and you are holding the dog down!!! If you were laying the animal - it would be going over of its own accord!
Yup - and in that episode the guy said at the begining that the dog was a joy in all situations
He would happily let him 'alpha roll' him outside - but he was not happy to be rolled inside
(on the slippy wooden floor)

So the dog had NO real issues- just didnt like being flipped on his back inside
The owners had tried it so often that the dog now associated the muzzle with bad things about to happen to him (before the muzzle went on he wasnt happy but was letting CM prod and shove him on the slippy floor)
as soon as the muzzle went on he knew bad things were about to happen
added to that a collar tightening round his neck (considering he had been found with such bad injuries on his neck that the vet thought he had been chained up with a choke chain on that he escaped from)
The dog was not being bad/stubborn/dom - he was fighting for his life - and even then he didnt do the damage he could have when he managed to get the muzzle off
Once he collapsed onto the floor - tongue poking out, legs stiff, panting, hard eyed - cm considered him calm submissive I fail to even seen what he thought he had learnt in that little episode
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 07:24 PM
They are like bloody bad pennies, one finally shuts up, ones gone back to his shop & another one trip traps over the bridge.

JOY of joy
Page 15 of 32 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »