Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 09:39 PM
No I don't have a malamute with pink lips

I was just asking the question in general, as I did not know the answer, which is what I assumed this forum was for.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Abbie - I have no idea about faults but out of interest, is that a Mal?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:12 PM
All breeds have different standards so it would differ for every breed..

The picture certainly looks like a Mal..but doesn't have pink lips (the pink at front is its tongue)..it has loose (pink) flews as has been stated..the pigment is all black as desired but UK mal standard doesn't make any mention of it..SO for Mals its not a fault...hope that answers the Mal side of things..
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I does for me Louise, thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Are red lips a fault and can it be passed onto pups?

Originally Posted by abbie View Post
No I don't have a malamute with pink lips

I was just asking the question in general, as I did not know the answer, which is what I assumed this forum was for.
Hi Abbie, I am a little confused why you posted that particular picture if it was just a general question about pink lips because the picture you posted is of a very poor quality and doesn't really represent an example of pink lips, in fact it could well be a dog with black lips panting slightly its mouth partially open exposing the inside of the mouth.

If you are looking for an example of pink lips a breed like the APBT illustrates this better. Pink lips are generally found on dogs with light or red coats and light pigmentation. They are a seen as undesirable in some breeds but not in others.

cochillo
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2008, 07:44 PM
First off let me explain that although things do not appear in a breed standard you learn quite alot or should do before you ever consider Judging.These things do not appear in the breed standard and all good Judges & good breeders take them as common sence. Some of the things are as follows:-

Angulation front & rear
Teeth - 42
Correct trimming
The names of certain bones which are often used in various write ups ie. stifle joint, hocks, upper arm etc.
Pigmentation

These are all things that one would expect a prospective judge to know prior to them taking the required exams to become a Judge.

Looking at the photo, yes the pink at the front looks to be the tongue but the pink on the side is either pink lips or loose flews both of these are a bad fault and can be passed on if used for breeding. Also looking at the eyes to me they look very light and if it a malamute light eyes are only permissible in red and white dogs. Bear in mind these comments are only taken from what I can see in the picture.

Pigmentation plays an important part in all breeds of dogs. Unless it is a colour that does not require the black lips a good judge will know at a glance. Take the Samoyed although a white dog one would expect the pigmentation to be light but in actual fact it is a MUST that Samoyeds have dark lips, dark nose and dark eyes. You will see a lot of Judges turn the feet of a Samoyed to ensure that the pads are also black- this is not mentioned in the breed standard.

Siberian Husky breed standard actually states 'lips well pigmented and close fitted'.

Dogs that have flews that gradually fall ie the Rottweiler, these should still be black and not showing any pink.

Although a lot of the people on here give advice and I know by what is written they are taking it from books or searching the net. Some of it is incorrect. I know they mean well but as it is said ' a little knowledge can do a lot of damage' .

I came on Dogsey about 7 months ago to find out some information on a NI I had aquired. After reading the abuse and rude comments that were written about these dogs I decided this site was not a site for a true dog lover. It is used as a tool for personal attacks on certain breeds and individuals.

Having spent 25 years showing and judging GSD's and Rottweilers I am now the proud owner of several crossbreeds and a Northern Inuit , 4 GSD's (I am afraid these are the proper ones with no bent backs and these I can assure you can move!)

It is a shame that so many of the members of this forum find such pleasure in pulling to pieces other peoples dogs. I thought as a dog forum it would have been a place any dog owner could have come for constructive advice. What makes it worse is the people that give out the most abuse are the people that are classed as Gold Supporters, Diamond Supporters and Vetrans. I take it that they get these ratings by the number of postings they put on and not from their knowledge of dogs!

May I suggest to the peolple that run this site that ratings should only be given to people that have the correct amount of knowledge and not on the number of postings they put on.

If it was kept as a positive site I am sure it would attract a lot more truely knowledgeable dog people. You could then put a section in and call it 'THE MUPPET OR WANT TO BE ROOM'.

I am sorry if I sound a bit harsh but that is the difference between someone like me who loves their dogs and doesn't have a go at any breed but I don't mind having a go a people that do pull dogs to bits.

Yes I do judge dogs, that does not mean to say there is no room in my life for dogs that aren't show dogs. Not everyone wants to show and if you look at the dogs out in the street or in the park you will probably find there are more uncrowned champions in pet homes then there are in show homes.

This is only about the 8th time I have posted. I won't be posting any more but will leave you with this thought.

If you truely love the dog help it to strive and develop.

Best Wishes to all true dog lovers

Ann

P.S. Before any one asks NO I AM NOT A MEMBER OF ANY OF THE NORTHERN INUIT GROUPS, the only club i am a member of is the Kennel Club (and a this point in time that is nothing to be proud of).
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:03 PM
pink pigment is a fault in rotties,

here is a photo of kaos who has perfect dark pigment, dark flews and gums

another shot of the inside of his fat gob,, but again you can see the dark pigment,

I also have a bitch with pink pigment will go and try to find a photo showing this, if I cant find one I will take a photo tomorow and add it
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Well for a start the picture is crap..if the OP actually told us who the dog was then maybe we could JUDGE the dog on its own merits..not a rubbish scan from a newspaper..Also its eyes don't look light to me

For all we know THAT dog could be spayed or neutered..so it would'nt matter.. AND from what I can gather the OP was not talking about Malamutes in particular..so dogs that HAVE pink lips can obviously be bred with pink lips!

Have you judged Malamutes and Samoyeds Cochillo??

And how odd to have a go about the forum.. the status is a paid status..not by knowledge or postings!!

WE are NOT pulling anyones dog to bits as the OP doesn't own the dog!
cochillo
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:12 PM
OK I know I said I would not post again but I had to say yes he is a very handsome chap with good pigmentation. He looks to be a dog with plenty of shape and presence. We had a dog call Shona it's German and means 'pretty thing'.

Thanks for the picture. Good luck ,

Ann
cochillo
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes Louise I have judge both breeds and give tickets in one. If you would breed from a dog with pink lips it is quite clear to see why you do not show and for god sake don't breed! You could be the first member of the Muppet Club
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >