Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2007, 03:57 PM

spaying question

as some on you know i am going to get holly spayed post season due to her hip score results being high.
just wondered what effect being spayed could have on her?
i know they can gain weight but she is fit so i am hoping with age etc i can stop her from gaining lbs.
what effects can it have on her coat?
will it help her to mature up in nature more? she still acts like a 6 month old pup most of the time at the age of 2.
how long does it take for her to get over the op? providing theres no problems?
she is in season now so mid cycle is mid/end of june ( time of op) so she should be over it by the end of july when they go in kennels?
how did it affect your girls?
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Leo,
You may find that Holly's coat will 'Thicken' if she's an otherwise fit and healthy girl she should get over the op reasonably well but she'll have to remain a calm girl for a few weeks till she's all healed up, no frollicking with tobe's for a while!!!
Foodwise you may find that she's wanting to eat more (but don't give into those big brown eyes!) if she's getting regular exercise, weight gain shouldn't really be an issue

Good Luck with her
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Gaining weight is a myth, none of my neutered dogs and bitches ever gained weight, you just need to ensure they have the correct amount of food for the exercise they get.
The only thing that may change, as has been mentioned, is her coat may go woolly.
Becky
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh and as far as helping her mature its different with different dogs but if it does make a difference it'll be a few months before you see any changes in her behaviour, once her hormones have sorted themselves out
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
thanks dip.
she doesn't eat huge amounts of food so i don't mind it increasing to some degree.
staying calm......that will be fun!
so she won't drop her coat as much? shes always losing it looks like i've killed some thing half the time, she has a very fine,soft coat unlike him.
i was hopeing it will help her to keep her coat better.
with her being young and fit i was hopeing her weight will be ok just hope theres no problems otherwise she will be staying with my mum!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2007, 04:14 PM
i don't mind her coat going thicker, mature wise she has never grown up...........aka moo but i don't really mind as long as she is ok post op.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh she'll still lose coat by the sackful ...... no getting out of that one! You'll probably notice the thickness mainly in her 'bloomers' and front leg feathering

Like Mahooli said weight gain is really a myth, but Holly will probably try to tell you that she needs more food

Its a hormone thing! :smt042
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2007, 04:26 PM
in her bloomers........lol
they are thick enough already........argggggggggg
theres me thinking it might cut down the qty she loses.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Cassie was spayed before her first season and the op didn't effect her at all. Next day she was trying to climb the stairs, complete with stitches We did manage to keep her calmer but she bounced back really quickly. She gets loads of exercise so weight gain was never an issue and she's not a big eater anyway. As for calming her down, no didn't really do that. She is calmer now but she's over 2 so I don't think it had anything to do with the spaying. Basically she's the same cheeky moo she ever was!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
as some on you know i am going to get holly spayed post season due to her hip score results being high.
just wondered what effect being spayed could have on her?
Lots of positive effects, mainly protecting her from killer diseases and no hormonal stresses for her or for other dogs around during seasons, often increased concentration, often more relaxed around other dogs :smt001

i know they can gain weight but she is fit so i am hoping with age etc i can stop her from gaining lbs.
This is one of the old wives tales-ish. They only gain weight through innapropriate feeding and not enough exercise, whether spayed or not. What is often not realised, [ through vets not mentioning it ], is that after neuter, less calorific intake is needed so food should be lessened slightly depending on the dogs general weight / metabolism / exercise regime.
Don`t worry though, its extremely easy to monitor and adjust food accordingly. Many dont even need a reduction in food at all.

what effects can it have on her coat?
Some will tell you it wrecks coats however I have yet to see it after seeing too many to count being neutered, not just my own dogs [ all are done ], but through involvement in rescue. It seems the ones `claimed` to be affected are owned by some show people who have`nt actually experienced it anyway because they `think` it might have an effect so they don`t get them done so they can`t claim anything happened
I know one person, [ a groomer as it happens, so if anyone would notice a change she would ! ], who was convinced her Show Beardies coat would be ruined, [ a multiple Crufts qualifier ]. I have known her dog for many years. She finally did spay. It made not one jot of difference to her coat, the vet even agreed to the coat being plaited for the op so as not to have the owner have to wait for regrowth before being able to show her again and you`d never know she was spayed except for the improvement in her health, [ no more phantoms and irregular seasons which she had constantly ].
None of mine have had a coat change either.

will it help her to mature up in nature more? she still acts like a 6 month old pup most of the time at the age of 2.
Does`nt make any difference, neuter is not about mental maturity, it has no effect at all except to sometimes aid concentration, [ more in males because of raging tesoterone ], and often enables them to be more relaxed in themselvews which again is nothing to do with mental maturity but in lowered hormonal stresses.
or example, my eldest at the age of 12 was not snipped til he was 2. His nature is to be a big kid, the snip made no difference. He is as daft now as he was then.
Another was done at 5 months [ in rescue ]. He was mentally mature before even as a pup, thats his nature.
My eldest girl, she is one in whom I have seen tremendous benefits. She used to be dog aggressive but after her spay she became soooo much less bothered by other dogs attentions and generally it was like a huge weight had been lifted off her. She became much less stressy, more playful, more relaxed, but it made no difference to her mental maturity. How that is for dogs is in their make-up not their hormones. A daffy dog is a daffy dog and a `sensible` dog is a `sensible` dog, with or without reproductive ability being changed.

how long does it take for her to get over the op? providing theres no problems?
Usually its lead walks while stitches are in, and if an agility dog, no training for about 4 weeks then back to it gently but recovery is extremely quick and the vet will quide you on specifics dont worry :smt001

she is in season now so mid cycle is mid/end of june ( time of op) so she should be over it by the end of july when they go in kennels?
Heck yes, she`ll be on form in plenty of time

how did it affect your girls?
In all mine past and present, lots of positives, not a single negative. All future doglets I may have, if not already done, [ I always have rescues ], will be done without question, no reservations, its far better for them and gives me immense peace of mind for their related health :smt001 :smt001 :smt001
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >