Female 

09-10-2006, 08:06 AM
haha!! no i am a one girl site now!

ohh lucky mate! i cant wait!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Its the same as long coated malamutes.. in some eyes they are WRONG.... but they are a genetic "fault" and when you mate two dogs carrying the long coat gene they will appear in the litter... Now this can be avoided by NOT mating two carriers together but this can't be figured out if the dam or sire has never been mated before.. (however new DNA tests can be bought to test the long coat gene)..

I have a longer coated Mal.. not a full "woolie".. just a little longer coated.. and he will be sneeered at by some people.. but the reality of it is.. I don't care.. he has a fantastic temprement is very calm and thats what matters to me.. not how long his coat is.. BESIDES... There are longer coated dogs being placed in the show ring now.. so what does that say>????? They aren't right but we will place them above proper coated dogs????!??!?!

Anyway.. you get what you WANT..... If you want a white GSD then get one.. you will be living with it.. NO ONE else..
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:36 AM
You shouldn't feel guilty at all. I personally love white GDS aswell.

Here's what the Kennel Club Breed Standard says about GSD's

"Black or black saddle with tan, or gold to light grey markings. All black, all grey, with lighter or brown markings referred to as Sables. Nose black. Light markings on chest or very pale colour on inside of legs permissible but undesirable, as are whitish nails, red-tipped tails or wishy-washy faded colours defined as lacking in pigmentation. Blues, livers, albinos, whites (i.e. almost pure white dogs with black noses) and near whites highly undesirable. Undercoat, except in all black dogs, usually grey or fawn. Colour in itself is of secondary importance having no effect on character or fitness for work. Final colour of a young dog only ascertained when outer coat has developed."

The 'blue' is my own highlighting.

Nobody has the right to bully anyone into having a certain colour/breed. If it's what you like then they can go take a flying leap :smt021
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:36 AM
hiya thanks!

why are all these dogs frowned upon?! its still the same dog, just a longer cost or different colour, does it really matter?................
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:39 AM
lol thanks! i hate that word 'undesirable'

i feel like im in the 'celebrity' world of dogs where we all have to be size 0 or were ugly!!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Helena on here has a beautiful white GSD. I think you should get whatever colour you want, its going to be your dog and so its your choice - stuff the snobs My GSD's mother was a pure white GSD although his dad was a black and sable and he was a black and sable too but maybe a bit lighter than some.

Good luck
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:04 AM
now there on at me about breed standard, and that they hate anything other then the short black/tan GSD

The colour of the GSD does have a bearing on it's original purpose as a shepherding breed(not a guard dog as many if not most of the general public believe them to be)

White dogs are ineffective for working German & most breeds of sheep & therefore this colour is undesirable

There is also the fact that people who breed "white" to "white" are breeding back to a dog that is behind nearly all white dogs in the UK A poor quality German import who produced genetic epileptics as well as poor characters. A local"white"GSD breeder dogs all have at least 17 lines to this dog & her current brood bitches sister died aged 3 in an epileptic fit & her brood bitch has"funny"turns on a frequent basis

I put the white into quotation marks as few"white"GSDs are anything near white

I have no problem with "white"(shortly to be noted as non standard on KC registrations BTW)GSDs when they occur in litters from correctly coloured parents, what I do have a problem with is the intention breeding of "white"GSDs with scant regard to the breed standard

The GSD breed standard is the blue print for the breed & based on the SV standard from Germany & designed to produce a dog that is suitable for the orgin purpose of the breed-deliberately breed"white"GSDs who would be useless for working sheep is not breeding to improve the breed but for monetary gain

If you look closely at most"white"GSDs they lack the correct physical structure of a GSD, the head have long weak muzzles, the bodies are 99 % of the time overly long with weak or soft backs & many many are long coated lacking proptective under coats.
The record of health testing amoungst "white"to"white"breeders is awful, few have hip scores, the males are not Haemophillia tested & many many are long coated lacking proptective under coats

BTW they are not"rare"or more valuable neither are blues(which can be found in lots of normal colour bred litters with two or more lines to a top International Champion)

I am involved with GSD rescue & at any one time there are at least half of the dogs in the kennels of a non standard colour at one time all but one were "white"

If you do intend to buy a "white"GSD please make sure that at least the last 3 generations have been hip scored lower than the breed mean & median & that all the males in the pedigree have been haemophillia tested & of course please don't buy a non KC registered puppy or dog
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Helena on here has a beautiful white GSD. I think you should get whatever colour you want, its going to be your dog and so its your choice - stuff the snobs My GSD's mother was a pure white GSD although his dad was a black and sable and he was a black and sable too but maybe a bit lighter than some.

Good luck
Sable is not a colour so the father of your dog cannot have been black & sable, he will have been a fawn/gold/tan/gray etc sable. Sable is a colour pattern named after The Sable
a small mammal related to the Pine Marten & animals with the same colour pattern are classed fawn/gold/tan/grey etc sables
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post
You shouldn't feel guilty at all. I personally love white GDS aswell.

Here's what the Kennel Club Breed Standard says about GSD's

"Black or black saddle with tan, or gold to light grey markings. All black, all grey, with lighter or brown markings referred to as Sables. Nose black. Light markings on chest or very pale colour on inside of legs permissible but undesirable, as are whitish nails, red-tipped tails or wishy-washy faded colours defined as lacking in pigmentation. Blues, livers, albinos, whites (i.e. almost pure white dogs with black noses) and near whites highly undesirable. Undercoat, except in all black dogs, usually grey or fawn. Colour in itself is of secondary importance having no effect on character or fitness for work. Final colour of a young dog only ascertained when outer coat has developed."

The 'blue' is my own highlighting.

Nobody has the right to bully anyone into having a certain colour/breed. If it's what you like then they can go take a flying leap :smt021
"White"GSDs are useless for working sheep & ergo the colour does effect their ability to work you have actually highlighted why "white"GSDs are classed as undesirable in the breed standard
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't think anyone should be made to feel guilty about their choice of dog. If it is a white GSD you really want, then don't let anyone else put you off. Just be sure to go to a reputable breeder, who health tests their stock, and ensure you see the parents of the pup to check that their temperaments are good.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »