View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Heh, Dougal it would appear is a sun worshipper but we have water out with him in the shade, I take him out but just for a short walk. Otherwise you can't hear yourself think cause not only does he pant but he snorts too
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 04:07 PM
It's been hot here at 7.30 am. when I take mine out and yesterday when I got back I got quite worried about old Georgie coz he was panting sooooo fast as he laid on his side on the cool kitchen floor. I always wet cold towels, put one between their back legs, another to cool their face and leave their paws in it for a minute or two and that seemed to work for him yesterday. I could never take mine out in this heat coz they're long coats and it'd be like wearing a fur coat on a hot day, so I stick with very early and 6.30 when we have that breeze back again, but Georgie only gets the morning walk when it's like this, he just couldn't cope with it

I just learned on another thread that the cooling points in a dog are their faces and paws, so a paddling pool is ideal even if they just step in and stand for a minute and step out again, that's the feet done isn't it! We're going for a proper rigid pool liner tomorrow coz Zena murdered her 2nd paddling pool this morning after thoroughly enjoying it for all of 15 minutes, even laying down in the deep water, but as soon as my back was turned, it died! Wilko's small rigid ones this morning were £7 odd if anybody's interested.

Anyways, glad Tilly's ok now, but I'm sure it's this heat, you know what they say, only mad dogs and Englishmen, and I'm sure Tilly's not mad! I'm the same as you, my walks are only 30 mins at a time, although yesterday, we met a friend with a puppy so what with all the running around together, Zena must have done 2 miles instead of just the one!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's been hot here at 7.30 am. when I take mine out and yesterday when I got back I got quite worried about old Georgie coz he was panting sooooo fast as he laid on his side on the cool kitchen floor. I always wet cold towels, put one between their back legs, another to cool their face and leave their paws in it for a minute or two and that seemed to work for him yesterday. I could never take mine out in this heat coz they're long coats and it'd be like wearing a fur coat on a hot day, so I stick with very early and 6.30 when we have that breeze back again, but Georgie only gets the morning walk when it's like this, he just couldn't cope with it

I just learned on another thread that the cooling points in a dog are their faces and paws, so a paddling pool is ideal even if they just step in and stand for a minute and step out again, that's the feet done isn't it! We're going for a proper rigid pool liner tomorrow coz Zena murdered her 2nd paddling pool this morning after thoroughly enjoying it for all of 15 minutes, even laying down in the deep water, but as soon as my back was turned, it died! Wilko's small rigid ones this morning were £7 odd if anybody's interested.

Anyways, glad Tilly's ok now, but I'm sure it's this heat, you know what they say, only mad dogs and Englishmen, and I'm sure Tilly's not mad! I'm the same as you, my walks are only 30 mins at a time, although yesterday, we met a friend with a puppy so what with all the running around together, Zena must have done 2 miles instead of just the one!
We don't have a Wilkonsons:
I'm still using a bucket or bowl of water for her to play in! but the cooling points explains why she scuba dives face in and then front paws in splashing about!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, I always have a bit bucket under the outside tap, and guaranteed all of my dogs have dunked their paws into it, when I thought they were just playing or being naughty (that'd be Zena!!! ) and my old Cassie used to dunk her whole head in the bucket before I learned about these kid's pools! Whenever you're out and about, always check out the kiddies sections in Asda or the likes, especially where they have those big plastic balls, and you'll probably find one there! It's a must if it's going to be really hot this summer I think. HOpe Tilly's still managing her walks without too much panting.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2