Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Rice and chicken due to sickness

Hi all,

Poppy has been at the vets today due to sickness and drooling from the mouth and the vet told us to feed her boiled chicken and rice for 24 hours.(first time we have done this)

Ive since gave her two small meals with boiled chicken and rice which was white and 'easy to cook'. The vet didnt specify a particular rice so i have assumed this would be fine and she has eaten in all and kept it down.

Ive just been looking at older threads on dogsey and im now worrying i should have fed her long grain rice? does anyone know if it makes much difference?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I give Rupert whatever rice we've got in, usually white rice, and it's never been a problem for him. Any particular reason you're concerned about it?
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I've just read a few older posts from people saying the long grain rice has more goodness and less additives..

She defintley seemed to enjoy it as it has stayed down which is my main concern...

I think im in a worrying mode as the sickness came as a shock this morning so want to make sure i do best by her.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ali_and_Poppy View Post
Hi all,

Poppy has been at the vets today due to sickness and drooling from the mouth and the vet told us to feed her boiled chicken and rice for 24 hours.(first time we have done this)

Ive since gave her two small meals with boiled chicken and rice which was white and 'easy to cook'. The vet didnt specify a particular rice so i have assumed this would be fine and she has eaten in all and kept it down.

Ive just been looking at older threads on dogsey and im now worrying i should have fed her long grain rice? does anyone know if it makes much difference?
Hi Ali rice is given for poorly tummies because it is bland and the starch content helps to 'firm things up'.
'Easy cook 'rice has been heat treated so it doesn't behave the same as untreated rice. I personally wouldn't give it house room.

The best rice to give a sick dog is well cooked long grain rice. For dogs with diarrhoea it can be cooked until it is quite sloppy and fed with some of the cooking liquor which also contains some starch .
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 10:51 PM
if feeding rice(i prefer mashed potato) it has to be 'overcooked'.(longer than u would if u was going to eat it)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ali_and_Poppy View Post
I've just read a few older posts from people saying the long grain rice has more goodness and less additives..

She defintley seemed to enjoy it as it has stayed down which is my main concern...

I think im in a worrying mode as the sickness came as a shock this morning so want to make sure i do best by her.
Rice does not have any additives it is rice, unless of course it has added ingredients like peppers etc. It does not really matter what rice you give, basmati, long grain, arborio etc.

The rice that has the most goodness is brown rice but the last thing you want to give a dog with diarrhoea is more fibre..........

Personally I would not feed rice at all but that is another story.

Good luck
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Why not SB? Curious minds need to know
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:44 AM
1 Because dogs have no proven need for carbohydrates.
2 Rice harbours Bacillus Cereus which is not destroyed by high temperatures and multiply when cooled EXACERBATING the squits.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
1 Because dogs have no proven need for carbohydrates.
2 Rice harbours Bacillus Cereus which is not destroyed by high temperatures and multiply when cooled EXACERBATING the squits.
Wasn't aware of that 2nd point. Doesn't sound like the best thing to give a dog who already has the squits. Is there anything you give? Or do you fast them? Or just carry on feeding their normal diet?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Wasn't aware of that 2nd point. Doesn't sound like the best thing to give a dog who already has the squits. Is there anything you give? Or do you fast them? Or just carry on feeding their normal diet?
I fast my dogs if they have the squits, most owners IME are FAR to quick to shove food down their dog's throat.

They never think of THEMSELVES and what their approach to food is if they have spent a great deal of time on the loo!

The digestive tract needs REST.

Also, dogs are designed to gorge and fast and, in adult dogs with no pre existing medical conditions, they can go without food for at least 3 days with no ill effects AS LONG as they hydrated.

So, I always have electrolytes to hand and put those in the drinking water.

Once I determine that the gut has calmed down a little I then will give the following:

Banana - prebiotic
Live yoghurt - probiotic
Slippery Elm/Tree Bark Powder - gut soother

mixed up into a smoothie to sooth the gut, replenish the gut with beneficial flora which has been stripped due to the squits.

(if your dog is lactose intolerant or allergic to casein then do not give yoghurt).

Yoghurt is however normally no problem to the vast majority of dogsdue to some partial digestion which has occurrred via bacteria unlike milk (goat or cow)which should be AVOIDED at all costs during the squits as it is PRIME trigger of diarrhoea.

After a day on bananas and yoghurt, if all looks well I continue with normal feeding, if not I continue the smoothies (giving probiotic capsules 3 times a day as well and often tablespoonfuls of Manuka Honey 15+) for a couple of days, if no improvement by Day 3 then I go to vet!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >