View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd never allowed squeekys on the basis that I'd heard somewhere that it was a bad idea as babies can sound similar when crying, thus confusing the dog, and as I'm expecting my own newborn in 6 weeks I'd be a tad worried.

Problem is, Asha found a squeeky chicken leg whilst out the other day, sniffed it, pawed at it and when it squeeked she jumped back , but she crept forward again, pawed it again then picked it up, ran off with it squeeking all the way.

She would NOT come back to me, or near me, probably incase I'd take it off her. I had to phone the boyfriend to ride down on his bike, which worked as when she saw him she ran over and he grabbed her.

I let her carry it home, but made her drop it outside as I do with other stuff she decides she wants to carry back with her.

Its the PERFECT recall tool, but if she knows I have it we don't really get anywhere as she'll keep walking in front of me to stop me in my tracks, squeeking my pocket with her nose
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd never allowed squeekys on the basis that I'd heard somewhere that it was a bad idea as babies can sound similar when crying, thus confusing the dog, and as I'm expecting my own newborn in 6 weeks I'd be a tad worried.
Personally I think dogs have more intelligence than that to be honest. I don't believe that dogs who've attacked babies thought they were squeaky toys. Not saying the crying isn't what triggered the attack, just that I doubt the dog thought the baby was a giant squeaky toy. If it makes you feel any better the best dog I've ever seen around babies and very young children was an absolute fanatic about squeaky toys.

Have to say I was a little worried about introducing my "if it's not human it's a meal" dog to my nephew. Rupert's never shown any signs of thinking of Leo as his next meal. Or any other baby he's been near either. Not even when they're crying.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 11:48 AM
My old Spaniel, Patches, LOVED her squeeky toys, but she chewed the squeeker out as soon as she got the toy, then was happy with her toy When she was a pup, her fav was a pig, so we always bought the same pig, when she destroyed the one she had... well, they quit making them... and boy did people look at us funny when we asked Patches to go get her pig, and she brought us a mailman or a soccar ball! LOL
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 03:38 PM
That sounds like Dahlia. She wants to play tug with her squeaky toys or she wants to squeak them. Over and over. And then over again. To be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. When she came to us she didn't play AT ALL so anything she does that's playful makes me happy, even if the noise is sort of annoying!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Personally I think dogs have more intelligence than that to be honest. I don't believe that dogs who've attacked babies thought they were squeaky toys. Not saying the crying isn't what triggered the attack, just that I doubt the dog thought the baby was a giant squeaky toy. If it makes you feel any better the best dog I've ever seen around babies and very young children was an absolute fanatic about squeaky toys.

Yep...this! My dog LOOOVES her squeaky toys. But she's fantastic with little crying kids and babies. In fact, I swear she wants to rush over and make sure they're ok. When a little kid fell and was crying, Dahlia rushed over and laid right up close to her. It was adorable!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kilos'-'Serenity View Post

Problem is, Asha found a squeeky chicken leg whilst out the other day, sniffed it, pawed at it and when it squeeked she jumped back , but she crept forward again, pawed it again then picked it up, ran off with it squeeking all the way.

She would NOT come back to me, or near me, probably incase I'd take it off her. I had to phone the boyfriend to ride down on his bike, which worked as when she saw him she ran over and he grabbed her.

I let her carry it home, but made her drop it outside as I do with other stuff she decides she wants to carry back with her.

Its the PERFECT recall tool, but if she knows I have it we don't really get anywhere as she'll keep walking in front of me to stop me in my tracks, squeeking my pocket with her nose
Mine have squeakers, (well, Kong Wubba!) and they have been fine with my little boy since he came home back in October.

One thing I would advise (if you havent allready) is get yourself the Sounds Soothing CD, and start using it asap. Helped my three no end
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3