View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:09 AM

What the KC says about your breed - how accurate do YOU think it is?

well thought with all the KC things going around at the minute, all being quite serious, whether youre for the KC against it etc, working v showing etc, that this thread could just be a bit of fun...

so on the KC site in the breed information bit, it gives info on the chosen breed, then stats like lifespan etc. thought it would be fun to see if you agree with what it says or not....

heres the site..
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se...s/Default.aspx

have fun think this could turn into a good thread
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:16 AM
i will start us off:

so about the crested it says:
These unique little dogs come in two varieties – the Hairless and the Powder Puff. The Hairless have a crest of hair on their head extending part way down their neck, ‘socks’ covering their toes, and a plume on their tail. The rest of their body is, as their name implies, hairless, and moisturisers are frequently used to keep the skin fine and supple. The ‘Powder Puff’ variety is covered entirely with a veil of long soft hair. Both varieties come in a mixture of colours, and can be plain or spotted. This is most definitely a breed for the connoisseur.

While it is difficult to pinpoint their origin, it is said that these dogs were owned by families of the Han Dynasty of China. The Chinese Cresteds were developed at this time as guardians of the treasure houses and, in a larger, heavier form, as hunting dogs. They were seen at shows in America from 1885 to 1926 but then were rarely ever seen for some fifty years. They are a fastidious breed, keeping themselves scrupulously clean, and have no ‘doggy’ odour. Affectionate and intelligent, with a strong constitution, they make unique and delightful companions and are good watch dogs.

and the stats are:
Breed Group Toy
Vulnerable Breed No
Size Small
How much exercise? About 30 minutes per day
Length of coat Short
How much grooming? Once a week
Supposedly sheds?* Yes
Town or Country Either
Type of home Flat, Small or Large House Minimum
Garden Size None
Lifespan Over 12 Years

right well firstly, i agree with the majority of the description, apart from doggy odour try telling that to daph after she has rolled in something and im not sure about the hunting dog bit, they were used for ratting but i dont really know about the size difference...

as for the stats!!! i agree with exercise, theyd be happy with 30 minutes, but they could go and enjoy to go for a lot longer length of coat=short, NO i wouldnt say daphni has a short coat... and grooming once a week is a no no, daphni would be full of knots if i left her to just once a week. the house and town or country thing is right, they would live anywhere as long as they are with their human but the garden, id hate not to have a garden to let them out in, but thats just preference
life span i cant comment on, daphni is 2 and a half, hoping shes gonna live for a while yet
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I've read what they say about the Miniature Pinscher (and it isn't much)

He is smart and clean in outline, with a lustrous short coat, sturdy and compact in body and features a unique hackney gait. He is a lively and high-spirited dog, with quick reactions and a keen sense of hearing, which makes him a good little guard dog. Stylish, friendly and free from vice, he is an ideal size for even a small home.

My Bella would STRONGLY disagree with them saying that they only require 30 minutes exercise a day (but it's OK because I didn't let her read it!)

I much prefer the description of the breed that has been added to this site now - sums mine up to a T!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer

The breed is a fairly recent addition to Great Britain, the first arrivals coming from Germany in 1997 and later ones from the Czech Republic, the breed’s country of origin. Working gundog enthusiasts had seen the breed’s great abilities in the field, and all of the original imports were brought to the UK for that purpose. In the past few years, some specimens of the breed have made their debut in the show ring.

It is thought that the breed traces its origins to a cross between the Weimaraner and the German Wirehaired Pointer, and indeed the Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer has inherited the colour and coat texture from these two breeds. However, another likely ancestor is the Cesky Fousek, once known as the Bohemian Pointer, which is another breed much favoured by shooting men in Europe.

The Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer is a Hunt, Point and Retrieve breed and his versatility and endurance in the field has brought him great repute. He is sturdily built but with some degree of elegance and he is easy to train. His double coat, whose grey colour may be shaded with brown or sable, gives him protection and insulation. His unexaggerated conformation, bringing economical, ground-covering movement, and his serviceable coat, allied to a sensible but keen temperament, make him a truly ‘fit-for-purpose’ gundog.

Breed Group Gundog Vulnerable Breed No Size Large How much exercise? About 1 hour per day Length of coat Medium How much grooming? Once a week Supposedly sheds?* No Town or Country Country Type of home Large House Minimum Garden Size Large Lifespan Over 10 Years

I actually laughed a bit when I read the 'one hour per day' bit for exercise...yes, that amount is fine, if you don't want a house left. A Lab needs "two hours or more" of exercise but a Slovak doesn't? LOL. Also disagree that any dog needs a large house and garden provided it is stimulated and exercised enough.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Affenpinscher

This quaint little dog with its captivating monkey-like expression, is one of the oldest Toy dogs in Europe, dating back to about the seventeenth century. ...

He has a rough, harsh-textured coat that requires very little care and no trimming. Dark, sparkling eyes, set off by a halo of hair that stands away from his face, give him his unique expression. Full of mischief, he is a lively little character, very affectionate, and his comical antics make him a most amusing companion. He adapts to city or country living, and is an ideal size for house or flat.

Breed Group - Toy
Vulnerable Breed - No
Size - Small
How much exercise? - About 30 minutes per day
Length of coat - Medium
How much grooming? - More than once a week
Supposedly sheds?* - Yes
Town or Country - Either
Type of home - Flat, Small or Large House
Minimum Garden Size - None
Lifespan - Over 12 Years

I'd pretty much agree with this, although I would say they do need a trim about twice a year so they don't look a complete mess! And I confess I don't brush mine every week and they are fine. Show Affens in Europe are actually groomed to within an inch of their lives but they are shown much more naturally in the UK.

Definitely affectionate and full of mischief! And I'd say 30 mins exercise is a good starting point but they're happy to go for hours - except when it's too hot or wet!

J.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer

The breed is a fairly recent addition to Great Britain, the first arrivals coming from Germany in 1997 and later ones from the Czech Republic, the breed’s country of origin. Working gundog enthusiasts had seen the breed’s great abilities in the field, and all of the original imports were brought to the UK for that purpose. In the past few years, some specimens of the breed have made their debut in the show ring.

It is thought that the breed traces its origins to a cross between the Weimaraner and the German Wirehaired Pointer, and indeed the Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer has inherited the colour and coat texture from these two breeds. However, another likely ancestor is the Cesky Fousek, once known as the Bohemian Pointer, which is another breed much favoured by shooting men in Europe.

The Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer is a Hunt, Point and Retrieve breed and his versatility and endurance in the field has brought him great repute. He is sturdily built but with some degree of elegance and he is easy to train. His double coat, whose grey colour may be shaded with brown or sable, gives him protection and insulation. His unexaggerated conformation, bringing economical, ground-covering movement, and his serviceable coat, allied to a sensible but keen temperament, make him a truly ‘fit-for-purpose’ gundog.

Breed Group Gundog Vulnerable Breed No Size Large How much exercise? About 1 hour per day Length of coat Medium How much grooming? Once a week Supposedly sheds?* No Town or Country Country Type of home Large House Minimum Garden Size Large Lifespan Over 10 Years

I actually laughed a bit when I read the 'one hour per day' bit for exercise...yes, that amount is fine, if you don't want a house left. A Lab needs "two hours or more" of exercise but a Slovak doesn't? LOL. Also disagree that any dog needs a large house and garden provided it is stimulated and exercised enough.
im going to like this thread if enough people reply i dont understand how they can say a dog needs a big garden,at work the garden is huge for the flatcoats (they need a sit on lawn mower to cut the grass) and you can garantee that all the dogs will lie on the flagged patio, by the door when you shut them out if your not out there with them
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Affenpinscher

This quaint little dog with its captivating monkey-like expression, is one of the oldest Toy dogs in Europe, dating back to about the seventeenth century. ...

He has a rough, harsh-textured coat that requires very little care and no trimming. Dark, sparkling eyes, set off by a halo of hair that stands away from his face, give him his unique expression. Full of mischief, he is a lively little character, very affectionate, and his comical antics make him a most amusing companion. He adapts to city or country living, and is an ideal size for house or flat.

Breed Group - Toy
Vulnerable Breed - No
Size - Small
How much exercise? - About 30 minutes per day
Length of coat - Medium
How much grooming? - More than once a week
Supposedly sheds?* - Yes
Town or Country - Either
Type of home - Flat, Small or Large House
Minimum Garden Size - None
Lifespan - Over 12 Years

I'd pretty much agree with this, although I would say they do need a trim about twice a year so they don't look a complete mess! And I confess I don't brush mine every week and they are fine. Show Affens in Europe are actually groomed to within an inch of their lives but they are shown much more naturally in the UK.

Definitely affectionate and full of mischief! And I'd say 30 mins exercise is a good starting point but they're happy to go for hours - except when it's too hot or wet!

J.
how can your dog need grooming more than mine daphni has more hair and i agree with you on the wet part, try getting daph out the door if its raining and asbo for that matter, he hates the rain
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I dont have a dog yet but I find that after having read many descriptions of the Miniature Schnauzers almost all the sites say different things about the breed so im thinking to myself just how accurate are these descriptions???
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I dont have a dog yet but I find that after having read many descriptions of the Miniature Schnauzers almost all the sites say different things about the breed so im thinking to myself just how accurate are these descriptions???
ask mother*ship she will tell you
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
how can your dog need grooming more than mine daphni has more hair and i agree with you on the wet part, try getting daph out the door if its raining and asbo for that matter, he hates the rain
Exactly! Especially as Affens have a harsh coat so it doesn't really get knotty and don't Crested have that lovely, silky fur that tangles easily (like my daughters )?

J.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >