View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Should DNA profiling be necessary for breeding animals?

And should they not be able to be registered without it?

I've been thinking about this and I don't see why good breeders wouldn't be agaisnt this, but it would be a step forward to ensuring paper work is correct, and hold an extra guarentee when buying a pup. So what do you think should it be neccasary to registrations?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I will certainly be DNA profiling my dogs before I breed from them & in Germany GSDs have to be tattooed, chipped & DNA profiled before they can be bred from(or be shown or have any health tests done)
Oliver21508
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I think its a great idea. it ensures that the information on your dog's parentage is correct and the health tests results are correct for that dog too, otherwise you may think you are buying a dog from health tested parents who are show champions, but you are actually buying a dog from untested parents.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I think its a good start to have all dogs DNA tested! All me mums are, and i wish more breeders would start to..
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I would say definately should be compulsory for all breeding dogs to be profiled, we used to litter profile, but according to KC only the owner once pups sold can access this. so therefore no use to anyone else if they where telling porkies, but by ensuring all breeding dogs are profiled means that ANY owner can ask for a test of parentage to be done on their own dog.

All our dogs are microchipped and all registration documents, health certs etc have this on so there is no chance of falsifying anything.

I say deffo DNA
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes I do. I agree with all the above comments.
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:12 AM
A woman brought her 8 month old westie into me to be groomed. I took one look at it and knew it "Wasn't". It is she insisted, I'm waiting on the paper work. Did you get your pup from a good breeder? Oh yes, she had lots of different breeds in many cages she replied. I suggested that she asked her vet for a DNA test, the dogs fur and ears flopped and shaped like a Shih Tzu, I cut it into a westie style, no way was this what the breeder claimed....£700.00 she paid. She wants to breed from her dog later

I think DNA testing should be required. I hate money makers!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Fabi View Post
A woman brought her 8 month old westie into me to be groomed. I took one look at it and knew it "Wasn't". It is she insisted, I'm waiting on the paper work. Did you get your pup from a good breeder? Oh yes, she had lots of different breeds in many cages she replied. I suggested that she asked her vet for a DNA test, the dogs fur and ears flopped and shaped like a Shih Tzu, I cut it into a westie style, no way was this what the breeder claimed....£700.00 she paid. She wants to breed from her dog later

ohhh dear... waiting for paper work, that just confirms it...i bet she never gets any paper work for that dog.. such a shame, some people have more money than sense..
upallnight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 08:20 AM
DNA testing is good as a means of identification but apart from that I'm not sure what use it is??? I still think animals should be tested for breed specific problems in order to eliminate them and not pass them down for future heartache in my humble opinion,
Valerie
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Fabi View Post

Maybe if she comes in again you could hint her towards dog shows, say that you will groom it in a show cut, and say that then she could get better breeding mates for her dog, and the pups could be worth more, and then she may see that her dog is not a Westie

Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
DNA testing is good as a means of identification but apart from that I'm not sure what use it is??? I still think animals should be tested for breed specific problems in order to eliminate them and not pass them down for future heartache in my humble opinion,
Valerie
There are other uses, the main one I think being this,

Provided that the DNA profiles of both parents are available, pups in a litter can be profiled and their profiles checked with their parents' profile to verify that the correct parents have been registered.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/463/

DNA profiling would make it harder for any paper work to be incorrect, wrong parents etc, whether by accident or on purpose. Its not like it costs a lot, £25 per dog this says, and I think that good breeders should be willing to pay that, and I would personnally if I were to ever buy another pup look for breeders who do this, its just a extra thing that can help you know what you are getting IMO.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >