View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I am guilty, at WELKS Rufus was playing up and I actually smacked (more of a tap) him on the rump when he played up, I shocked myself and didn't feel good, he is so frustrating!! E collars are not good, but perhaps in licensed hands as a last resort, ie PTS is the next step there may be a place.
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Having had (working) terriers for several years I find it quite simply astonishing that anyone outside the toy or "utilility" breed has never found cause to clip a dog.

Never would I beat a dog to punish it, but please, show me a terrier who hasn't benefitted from a clout round the ear and I'll show you a spoiled dog.

Terriers respond to love and affection but they also understand discipline like no other doggie race. A "no!" to a terrier is important. Try bleating that at an out of control sealie as it disappears into the sunset...For all those who called me a hypocrite- I offer this: Intentionally hurting a dog is rather different to smacking one for misbehaving. Violence isn't the point, it's simply control. Some breeds are naturally placid and will follow command regardless- stroppy little terriers are another question intirely.

Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Mcpherson View Post

Never would I beat a dog to punish it, but please, show me a terrier who hasn't benefitted from a clout round the ear and I'll show you a spoiled dog.

Er, I don`t think so, what a ridiculous thing to say !
None of the Terriers who come to me for agility have been hit, and they are certainly not what you might call `spoiled` though your definition of it is probably different to most peoples as you think `a clout round the ear` is `acceptable`
Those `spoiled` Terriers do Obedience, Agility, have great recall, are attentive, fun, bright, and always willing to please. If that`s your idea of `spoiled` then they are excellent example`s of Terriers doing just great because of not being subjected to a `clout`.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 06:27 AM
I have owned two jack russell bitches, both feisty little dogs, and never have I raised my hand to either.

Terriers do respond to love and affection - so why "clip" them?
Both of mine know the meaning of the word "no" and that's all that's been necessary.
Sadly both of mine before I got them have had owners who thought it was ok to use the hands for discipline. It never is. Never. Especially with a terrier, when that feistiness could so easily turn to biting ( as it did with my second)

My jacks ( one dead now) have both been trained, both have recall ( even when cats are involved) and both loved agility.
Both trained with kindness. What's so difficult about not smacking? I really don't understand why you think you have to do it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Having had (working) terriers for several years I find it quite simply astonishing that anyone outside the toy or "utilility" breed has never found cause to clip a dog.

Terriers respond to love and affection but they also understand discipline like no other doggie race. A "no!" to a terrier is important. Try bleating that at an out of control sealie as it disappears into the sunset...For all those who called me a hypocrite- I offer this: Intentionally hurting a dog is rather different to smacking one for misbehaving. Violence isn't the point, it's simply control. Some breeds are naturally placid and will follow command regardless- stroppy little terriers are another question intirely.

I may have been tempted to give Frankie my terrier a kick up the backside from time to time, but he's too damn quick so how on earth I could clip him round the ear at point of misbehaviour is beyond me. Although as he is now obedient and willing to please with fantastic recall I seem to have managed without it. Frankie most certainly is your typical stroppy terrier.
Navigator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-04-2008, 10:24 AM

Intentionally hurting a dog is rather different to smacking one for misbehaving. Violence isn't the point, it's simply control.
I would only strike a dog to "punish" it. What conceivable other reason could there be?
Intentionally hurting a dog is not violence. How can it be different from smacking?

Striking a dog, maybe once during its lifetime (hopefully never) is a world of difference from the condition some animals, brought to shelter, have had to suffer.

Nav
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 06:06 PM

My god, what a load of tosh! Not all terriers who have never had a "clout around the ear" misbehave and are stroppy little dogs who are so spoiled that they cannot behave! I know plenty who behave with without the use of violence in their training.

I have a Westie, a very stubborn wee madam at times who occasionally tries to push her luck, although 98% of the time she is very well behaved. Never once have I wanted to hit her, I dread to think what she would be like if I did. Not the well behaved and calm, but fun, dog who I know and love today. I would have put money on it, and I'm not a gambler! She is obedient, does agility well (when she fancies it) and gets on well with other dogs and cats. She was raised with cats. She was the first dog of my own, aside from the family dog I grew up with, a terrier cross. So, there you are, a dog was hasn't "benefitted from a clout around the ear".

How can you possibly say that by striking a dog you are not intentionally hurting it - of course you are - you decide that you are going to strike it because it is misbehaving, that is intentional, obviously. To me, people who strike a dog, be it a tap/smack (whatever), do not understand how their dog "works", what makes it tick. They are so frustrated with the animal that they fail to stop and think of a better way to discourage certain behaviours. Perhaps these people should take a step back and think about their dogs and of kinder methods of training it. JMO.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
My god, what a load of tosh! Not all terriers who have never had a "clout around the ear" misbehave and are stroppy little dogs who are so spoiled that they cannot behave! I know plenty who behave with without the use of violence in their training.

I have a Westie, a very stubborn wee madam at times who occasionally tries to push her luck, although 98% of the time she is very well behaved. Never once have I wanted to hit her, I dread to think what she would be like if I did. Not the well behaved and calm, but fun, dog who I know and love today. I would have put money on it, and I'm not a gambler! She is obedient, does agility well (when she fancies it) and gets on well with other dogs and cats. She was raised with cats. She was the first dog of my own, aside from the family dog I grew up with, a terrier cross. So, there you are, a dog was hasn't "benefitted from a clout around the ear".

How can you possibly say that by striking a dog you are not intentionally hurting it - of course you are - you decide that you are going to strike it because it is misbehaving, that is intentional, obviously. To me, people who strike a dog, be it a tap/smack (whatever), do not understand how their dog "works", what makes it tick. They are so frustrated with the animal that they fail to stop and think of a better way to discourage certain behaviours. Perhaps these people should take a step back and think about their dogs and of kinder methods of training it. JMO.
WELL SAID !
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I Have A Terrier And I Know If I Cloutted Her Round The Ear She'd Kill Me Lol
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I Have A Terrier And I Know If I Cloutted Her Round The Ear She'd Kill Me Lol
Poor wee Torro has a complex already!

Seriously though, striking a terrier (or any other dog) is a very possible recipe for disaster. Some terriers (again, possibly any other dog but especially a terrier) would quite easily turn round and give you a swift nip right back at ya for hitting it! And, of course, if would be the humans fault for hitting it in the first place.

I believe that by hitting the dog then the owner/trainer has failed the dog. JMO.
Page 11 of 64 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 > Last »